Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
Can you relate?
No I really can't. Your circumstances (in aggregate gathered from your many recent threads) are weird. I couldn't begin to relate to it all.......... But thanks for asking.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
Now that I am retired and don't have to work, I feel sorry for people who have to work to survive. Can you relate?
Why? You are almost 62. You are retired by age not by FI (As your name suggests)

I would understand if you were 50.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

A thought I find interesting: One can retire as early as their 30s and never ever have to worry about working ever again.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Why? You are almost 62. You are retired by age not by FI (As your name suggests)

I would understand if you were 50.
He was 62 four years ago when he was posting on City-Data forums.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricky View Post
Alexandria is an independent city, not in any county. Part of Fairfax County adjacent to the city is also referred to as Alexandria, but that isn't part of the city (the same thing happens with Falls Church).
Interesting. I knew about Falls Church, but I used to live in a part of Alexandria that's in Fairfax County and never realized another part was separate. I just looked at a map, and that's a really weird boundary. I guess it makes sense to somebody.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Interesting. I knew about Falls Church, but I used to live in a part of Alexandria that's in Fairfax County and never realized another part was separate. I just looked at a map, and that's a really weird boundary. I guess it makes sense to somebody.
I didn't know that either. I have a relative who bought a house in the part that's in Fairfax County back in the 1950s, and his mailing address has always been "Alexandria, VA." I had no idea it wasn't part of the "real" Alexandria. Still, he's inside the Beltway so that means something.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I feel the same when listening to the D.C. traffic reports. "Incidents" are always plentiful. I myself probably aged two years for every year I drove the Beltway, and three years for each year I actually drove in D.C. itself. My home does not have easy access to trains or metro, so it was autos all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Because the awful commute was the main reason I retired, I fell sorry for my former fellow LIRR (commuter rail) riders whenever I hear a transit report which includes a problem on the trains, a fairly frequent evens.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I didn't know that either. I have a relative who bought a house in the part that's in Fairfax County back in the 1950s, and his mailing address has always been "Alexandria, VA." I had no idea it wasn't part of the "real" Alexandria. Still, he's inside the Beltway so that means something.
The interesting thing about part of Virginia is that it was part of the District of Columbia (not sure about dates here--there are better historians here than I). The District was originally a diamond with Alexandria a neighborhood in the southern corner. Lots of interesting stuff comes up in a google search about the original boundary markers for the District and when the land was returned to Virginia.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A zero sum game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Have felt sorry for people unemployed due to globalization.
I feel happy for all those people who now have a chance to be raised out of abject poverty, thanks to the economic opportunities globalization has afforded third world countries.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I feel happy for all those people who now have a chance to be raised out of abject poverty, thanks to the economic opportunities globalization has afforded third world countries.
So why does it have to be a zero sum game? Fluck the other guy someone somewhere went up a notch because of it and that's good?

"Capitalism." (Not the quotes) Robbing Peter to Pay Paul. Can't produce anything without standing on somebody else's back.

Why should I care about some cipher "being raised out of poverty"? That's his and his culture's problem. Helping people is great but when it's a shell game of cheap labor you ain't no saint

Personally I I can't feel sorry unless I know their story. All those old ladies cashiering at target the supermarket et al. Maybe they married an old man who was loser. She stuck it out and is now reaping the whirlwind. Or maybe it's, as someone mentioned above, a confluence of too many negative events preventing recovery from any of them.

I just know I would feel sorry for ME if I had to spend the final 40 yrs of my life like that
Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
So why does it have to be a zero sum game? Fluck the other guy someone somewhere went up a notch because of it and that's good?

"Capitalism." (Not the quotes) Robbing Peter to Pay Paul. Can't produce anything without standing on somebody else's back.

Why should I care about some cipher "being raised out of poverty"? That's his and his culture's problem. Helping people is great but when it's a shell game of cheap labor you ain't no saint

+1
Folks often think it's great people in underdeveloped countries get work, until it is their own employer that closes the plant and ships the jobs overseas for $1.00/hr.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #32
gone traveling

During the time I worked in and retired from a major corporation, I saw the social environment degenerate into virtual slavery [especially after a corporate take-over a few years before I retired.] What was once a nice place to work became abusive.

Before I retired, the people [mostly single women with children who really needed their job to survive] who worked in entry-level positions at the company were subjected to bathroom monitoring. Seriously, the time they spent in the bathroom was tracked and charted and affected their reviews, raises and job security.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

During the time I worked in and retired from a major corporation, I saw the social environment degenerate into virtual slavery [especially after a corporate take-over a few years before I retired.] What was once a nice place to work became abusive.

Before I retired, the people [mostly single women with children who really needed their job to survive] who worked in entry-level positions at the company were subjected to bathroom monitoring. Seriously, the time they spent in the bathroom was tracked and charted and affected their reviews, raises and job security.

Ahh, bathroom monitoring! That should have been in use at my home when we were raising a house full of daughters! There were times I had to go to the gym before work so I could get use of a shower.