Retired Doctor 1 year anniversary

Jackson D

Dryer sheet aficionado
One year ago I walked way from medicine at the peak of my career at age 56. I was in an academic practice and was considered a key player with accolades, grateful patients, residents who looked up to me, and peers who respected me. Many were shocked that I could walk away from all of that, but they didn't see the stress of medical practice that I felt day in and day out as I cared for serious medical issues in a continually worsening practice environment. My wife and others who knew me were worried that I would miss it, and there was a pool at work as to when I would come back to work.

From my point of view it was like flipping a switch as I went from a busy practice to an awesome retirement. I had recruited a replacement doctor so I knew my patients would continue to receive good care. My first year away from work has arguably been the best in my life. My wife says I am happier than she has ever seen me. When I ran into my old secretary, she accused me of using botox because the stress was all gone from my face.

Here is a partial list of some of the things I have done with my new freedom:

Completed 2 triathlons
Climbed my first 14er in Colorado (Mountain higher than 14,000 ft)
Hiked in Yosemite
Snorkeled in the Florida Keys
Went on a cycling tour with my buddies on the Natchez Trace Parkway
3 International vacations to Europe, Mexico, and Dominican Republic
Started a blog for physicians considering retirement (0 $ so hobby not work)
Read books for fun instead of journals

It is ridiculous how much fun I am having.

Other doctors I talk to seem to have 3 responses:
The ones older than me that are still working seem downright hostile and imply I am wasting my time. They have no clue how they would spend their days.

The ones that are younger want to know how I did it and tell me I am their role model.

The ones my age that are starting to feel like I did either have no hopes of retiring because they wouldn't be able to continue their expensive lifestyle, or they are watching me to see if I am bored and unhappy.

I think that one of the advantages of retiring early was that I am able to physically do what I want and am motivated to take on new challenges. I have obviously been traveling a lot, but my travel budget goes farther since I enjoy inexpensive activities and my flexible schedule allows me to find good deals.

My motto is Time> $ which is something I learned from reading this forum. Thanks to everyone here for all you have taught me.

Completed 2 triathlons
Hiked in Yosemite

And that's just the first year

I think that one of the advantages of retiring early was that I am able to physically do what I want and am motivated to take on new challenges. I have obviously been traveling a lot, but my travel budget goes farther since I enjoy inexpensive activities and my flexible schedule allows me to find good deals.
Having the health and mobility to enjoy physical activities in retirement are not often mentioned in the media, people often find themselves financially able but physically strapped, and too late to do anything about it.

Glad you're enjoying ER. Great motto!

Completed 2 triathlons
Hiked in Yosemite

My motto is Time> $ which is something I learned from reading this forum. Thanks to everyone here for all you have taught me.

I love your first year accomplishments list. With the exception of the blog these are all items that match my desires perfectly. Thanks for sharing your success story. You are inspiring. Congrats!

Congratulations for seeing the forest for the trees. I considered my retirement a success when I quit keeping score, 'cause I didn't need to answer to anyone.

Congrats, Jackson D!

Sounds like another satisfied ER customer. :dance:

omni

Congrats on the successful 1st year! Now what else is on your bucket list?

Thanks for sharing your story JackD. I'm leaving a lucrative career just shy of peak earning potential and your story is inspirational.

Continued success.

You have already done plenty for people in providing them with good medical care when you were working. Not that many people can walk away from all that money, power and prestige, congratulations and good luck with your life choice.

Congratulations. I have thoroughly enjoyed my retirement from academic medicine 4 years ago or so. Doing what comes naturally on any given day, hanging out with the grandkids; trips to wine country, writing my first novel (about a weird guy and tropical fish (don't ask ;) ). Life's good.

Glad you have made the cut. What specialty did you practice (I was an academic internist)?

Last edited:
You're not married?
Yes, but fortunately she no longer gives annual performance reviews. So, that saves me from generating a yearly list of accomplishments. :LOL:

Congratulations Jackson D! You truly get it and it's wonderful to see your first year list. Keep enjoying your retirement. :dance:

Congratulations and thank you. As someone early in retirement this helps me to see where I want to be.

Congratulations. Glad you are enjoying yourself. You can keep your professional chops sharp on a pro-bono basis by diagnosing our ills over on the ER and health forum :)

Congratulations Jackson! You didn't drink the physician Kool Aid and you deserve all the enjoyment you are having in ER.

What a great story, Jackson! You worked and planned to make yourself happy and in control of your environment. That's more than your cohorts could or would do. It takes a lot of courage to make a jump like that.

Congratulations. Would you mind posting how your investment plan/ning progressed and ended up to sustain your current state?

Having the health and mobility to enjoy physical activities in retirement are not often mentioned in the media, people often find themselves financially able but physically strapped, and too late to do anything about it.

Absolutely. This was a huge reason that I retired when I did, in my mid-50s.
You simply can't buy back those years when you are physically able to do whatever you want to do - and they won't last forever.

I'll be 56 in March and you are an inspiration "Action" Jackson!

Congratulations. Would you mind posting how your investment plan/ning progressed and ended up to sustain your current state?

My savings plan was basically summed up by the Boglehead philosophy. My wife and I always tried to LBYM and I invested in a diversified index portfolio with Vanguard. We saved around 25% of my income for the first 15 years but not much after that as my kids went to expensive schools and we started taking nice family trips etc. My philosophy of investing is summed up in my blog EarlyRetireDoc.com. I am not an expert and this blog was set up to link articles for my kids and other doctors I worked with to read, not as any sort of money making scheme.

Great post, Jackson. I also went to your blog page - nice list of references. You are an inspiration!!

Congratulations! My hubby also worked in academic medicine (ophthalmologist) and retired 6 years ago at age 60. He planned to retire a year or two earlier but stayed longer to cover departmental responsibilities longer than he wanted. The good news is that he hasn't regretted retiring for one second and has many activities and hobbies. He too has had mixed responses from other physicians who often can't understand why/how he could retire early. He always said that he worked to live and to the other way around so he didn't have a problem walking away. :D

Back
Top Bottom