Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Having the health and mobility to enjoy physical activities in retirement are not often mentioned in the media, people often find themselves financially able but physically strapped, and too late to do anything about it.
Absolutely. This was a huge reason that I retired when I did, in my mid-50s.
You simply can't buy back those years when you are physically able to do whatever you want to do - and they won't last forever.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be 56 in March and you are an inspiration "Action" Jackson!
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyfabs View Post
Congratulations. Would you mind posting how your investment plan/ning progressed and ended up to sustain your current state?
My savings plan was basically summed up by the Boglehead philosophy. My wife and I always tried to LBYM and I invested in a diversified index portfolio with Vanguard. We saved around 25% of my income for the first 15 years but not much after that as my kids went to expensive schools and we started taking nice family trips etc. My philosophy of investing is summed up in my blog EarlyRetireDoc.com. I am not an expert and this blog was set up to link articles for my kids and other doctors I worked with to read, not as any sort of money making scheme.
Jackson D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great post, Jackson. I also went to your blog page - nice list of references. You are an inspiration!!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations! My hubby also worked in academic medicine (ophthalmologist) and retired 6 years ago at age 60. He planned to retire a year or two earlier but stayed longer to cover departmental responsibilities longer than he wanted. The good news is that he hasn't regretted retiring for one second and has many activities and hobbies. He too has had mixed responses from other physicians who often can't understand why/how he could retire early. He always said that he worked to live and to the other way around so he didn't have a problem walking away.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

JacksonD I want to read your blog!! I am a younger doc who wants to follow your footsteps, what is the link?
Partimewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #27

Oops I see it now
Thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nm
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice looking blog. Congrats on your retirement.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

That is a good blog. I've bookmarked it (and I don't bookmark much).

Thanks, Doc!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #31

So when did you pay off your mortgage/kids college/etc.?
I am in the process of paying down my mortgage in 2-3 years, and finishing up college funding for 2 kids in 4-5 years myself. Then things will get a lot easier.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

There is a sticky thread in the Other Topics forum called "PSA:I wrote a book or have a blog" where the OP can put a little something about his blog if he wishes.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #33

Congrats ! I'm also a doctor (pediatrician), turning 50 this year. I've sort of reached my number but haven't found something to replace all that doctoring as yet. Did you miss the patient contact ? Did you consider reducing your hours but not completely withdrawing from patient care ? I'd be very grateful for your advice because I'm considering when (or if)to pull the trigger.
simster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the thread. I love to read these (both good and bad) as I am planning to retire in two years and have my concerns about how my RE will unfold. You are living my dream. I won't be able to live as lavishly as you but hoping that I have no problem enjoying what I want to do (golf & travel).
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Retired Doctor now 18 months in
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired Doctor now 18 months in

I am now 18 months into retirement and haven't missed patient care at all. Everyone writes that you shouldn't just retire but should retire to something. I didn't have any real plan with how I was going to spend my time but just decided that if I couldn't figure out something to do other than work then I was pathetic. I retired from seeing patients all the time to...not seeing patients. That was basically it. I was able to cut back practice a bit before I retired and that gave me confidence that I could do it. For the first few months after retiring my wife would ask me what I was going to do that day, my response was always "whatever I want to". She figured I said that because I didn't know what I wanted to do and some days she was correct. I was very happy just being able to wake up every day with a smile on my face and let the day unfold after years of having my time dominated by work.

After a period of unwinding, my goal oriented personality is coming back to the forefront but with new goals and activities of my own choosing. I am working with some med students to organize a local eyeglass recycling program. I have also been in contact with the university department of financial planning to help devise an educational program on personal finance for med students, residents, and other young doctors. One thing just leads to another as I am now able to be open to new ideas and adventures while leveraging the knowledge and connections I built up in my years as a doctor.

There are still plenty of days where I am not busy, but boredom is fleeting and I don't want to get overextended. Golf, triathlons, and travel still consume a fair amount of my time.

Early retirement has been a time of retaking control of my life and I am still fired up to see what kind of life I can create. I have absolutely no regrets for retiring early and on my own terms.
Jackson D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson D View Post
I am now 18 months into retirement and haven't missed patient care at all. Everyone writes that you shouldn't just retire but should retire to something. I didn't have any real plan with how I was going to spend my time but just decided that if I couldn't figure out something to do other than work then I was pathetic. I retired from seeing patients all the time to...not seeing patients. That was basically it. I was able to cut back practice a bit before I retired and that gave me confidence that I could do it. For the first few months after retiring my wife would ask me what I was going to do that day, my response was always "whatever I want to". She figured I said that because I didn't know what I wanted to do and some days she was correct. I was very happy just being able to wake up every day with a smile on my face and let the day unfold after years of having my time dominated by work.

After a period of unwinding, my goal oriented personality is coming back to the forefront but with new goals and activities of my own choosing. I am working with some med students to organize a local eyeglass recycling program. I have also been in contact with the university department of financial planning to help devise an educational program on personal finance for med students, residents, and other young doctors. One thing just leads to another as I am now able to be open to new ideas and adventures while leveraging the knowledge and connections I built up in my years as a doctor.

There are still plenty of days where I am not busy, but boredom is fleeting and I don't want to get overextended. Golf, triathlons, and travel still consume a fair amount of my time.

Early retirement has been a time of retaking control of my life and I am still fired up to see what kind of life I can create. I have absolutely no regrets for retiring early and on my own terms.
You are obviously doing very well. How many years did you practice post residency and any fellowships?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You are obviously doing very well. How many years did you practice post residency and any fellowships?
I wonder if a proctologist gets the Fellowship of the Ring?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I wonder if a proctologist gets the Fellowship of the Ring?
He would certainly deserve any recognition he might get.

Ha
Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #39

I practiced dentistry for 32 years before selling my practice in sept. last year. I am now teaching part-time at a local university and am loving it. No more administrative worries, personnel or insurance problems. Just go in to work with the students and leave.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #40

Congratulations Doctor,

This is a semi retired private practice physician (They call us providers... these days) 57, work 3 days a week with frequent long vacations.
Sometimes I still find myself getting fidgety on days when I am not working, when I do not have a plan for that day.

Kudos.. to you to go cold turkey and finding loads of things to get yourself involved with, I find your blog nicely written & very informative.

I have a few things to learn from you Doc, and although I have reached my number, kids have left house and are busy with their lives in different parts of the country, I am still waiting to find something interesting to do before I cut the Chords to Medicine completely. Maybe... it will come in time....

Thanks for sharing and best wishes
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote