Join Early Retirement Today

Retired, or just UnEmployed?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired, or just UnEmployed?

Got RIFed from BigSoftware in June. I'm 63 and was thinking 'one more year'...

They offered me the option of finding another position or a pretty good package.

I took the package.

FireCalc, and my financial advisor tell me I have the FI in FIRE under control. DW on the other hand can't understand why I'm not scrambling for another BigSoftware/Tech job. Frankly, after 50 years of working, 35 plus in high tech sales, my heart isn't in it anymore.

I just can't accept that I'm 'retired'. I keep going to the home office, looking for that e-mail that really needs my attention, or going to interviews for part time consulting jobs -- that don't excite me.

DW still works, at a very rewarding, but very low paying job -- thinking that we 'need' her benefits and income. We don't -- She's seen the numbers but can't let go. I don't begrudge her, but... The guilt trip is starting to get old (after two months).

I'm seriously considering finding a 'fun' job completely un-related to my past work experience, like selling boats or motorcycles - I own both.

Any suggestions on: Big career change and convincing DW that we can/should retire?

TIA for any advice.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIRE in '05 (me) and '06 (wife). she had been a school xing guard and i became one after i retired. not for the $, just for something to do. i was also a county election judge...again not for the $. i had always wanted to do that but couldn't due to my job. as of aug in 2018 we are both totally unemployed.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Got RIFed from BigSoftware in June. I'm 63 and was thinking 'one more year'...

They offered me the option of finding another position or a pretty good package.

I took the package.

FireCalc, and my financial advisor tell me I have the FI in FIRE under control. DW on the other hand can't understand why I'm not scrambling for another BigSoftware/Tech job. Frankly, after 50 years of working, 35 plus in high tech sales, my heart isn't in it anymore.

I just can't accept that I'm 'retired'. I keep going to the home office, looking for that e-mail that really needs my attention, or going to interviews for part time consulting jobs -- that don't excite me.

DW still works, at a very rewarding, but very low paying job -- thinking that we 'need' her benefits and income. We don't -- She's seen the numbers but can't let go. I don't begrudge her, but... The guilt trip is starting to get old (after two months).

I'm seriously considering finding a 'fun' job completely un-related to my past work experience, like selling boats or motorcycles - I own both.

Any suggestions on: Big career change and convincing DW that we can/should retire?

TIA for any advice.
Similarly RIF'ed in my early 50's from a tech job. Took a while to find the next gig (~10 months), but everybody told me I looked the least stressed that they'd ever seen me. Doing the numbers at the time indicated we could have stopped there if we had to. But I still wanted to build up our portfolio a bit more and eventually found a new gig.

During that time, DW we pretty nervous. She'd also seen the numbers, but frankly, she never had as much interest in finances as I had. Even though she'd also been an engineer in the past, for whatever reason, she couldn't wrap her head around the work I'd done to show we were good. I now go over everything with her twice a year. Pretty sure her eyes still glaze over, but it did stress the need to fully document what I've done and the future plans I've made in the event that I pre-decease her.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would have a long talk with the DW. If you are FI at 63 y.o., it sounds like it is time to start the best part of your life.
I had 72 people reporting to me, when I volunteered for a package at 57 y.o.; never looked back.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Honestly, I cannot imagine ever going back to the 40-hour-a-week type of j*b at this point. Once you get used to having your own time, it's really hard to get back to the wo*k routine. I *retired* for 2 years, but I got so bored (I moved from the US to Canada at the same time and I had no social network where I moved to) so I decided to take a temp job for a few weeks to get out and socialize while w*rking, and even just getting up early to get ready felt like a torture. I wouldn't want to get a real j*b again unless I was running out of money or something. So in your situation, you should enjoy the time off, and see if it suits you since money isn't an issue.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

At 63 you deserve to retire.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Why is your DW bugging you about finding a job? Sometimes it's just about unexpected changes. ...Continue to do you what you want to do and decompress. Bring up the numbers every once in awhile and let the dust settle.

Pickup more of the housework and cooking and errand running and such.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

personally I think you should retire, you've put in alot of years and software sales is not easy. I too own a boat and considered that as a semi-retired job, could be fun if you were with the right crew. I am checking out FEMA jobs as a semi-retirement option. Meeting with the head of mobile emergency operations tomorrow to see what it entails. Its big wonderful world out there...lots of "fun" jobs and unlimited fun hobbies. Good luck!
dcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm so much happier leaving my tech j*b. I was so confused I thought I was having fun, BS! It wasn't fun anymore just familiar.

I recently had my first w*rkmare after leaving 6 years ago. There I was with a VP screaming about the next change that went in sans change control would grounds for dismissal. No big deal just use the change control system. Only it didn't work most of the time! It was new, still under development and buggy. What could possibly go wrong? The insanity is the still there, I choose not to be insane with them.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoy View Post
personally I think you should retire, you've put in alot of years and software sales is not easy. I too own a boat and considered that as a semi-retired job, could be fun if you were with the right crew. I am checking out FEMA jobs as a semi-retirement option. Meeting with the head of mobile emergency operations tomorrow to see what it entails. Its big wonderful world out there...lots of "fun" jobs and unlimited fun hobbies. Good luck!
FEMA?? Interesting! I'm aware of a guy on another forum that works FEMA, from his Motorhome. Very mobile, as needed/wanted. Probably a little too mobile for me, but very intriguing.

You're giving me the push to investigate out of the box options- thanks!
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Big career change and convincing DW that we can/should retire?
Why do you say "we"?

Is there a reason you can't retire while your wife continues to work as long as she wants to?

When I retired, my wife continued working. Six months later I was asked to help out my former company. So I consulted with them on a 2 day, 16 hours per week basis. I did that for a year and really enjoyed it.

My wife waited four years before she decided to retire as well. She's still thinking of getting a part time job in the fall.

You don't need to do the same thing at the same time. You can each choose your own path.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

At your age (mine for another couple weeks) I would not jump back in. I worked for a long time after my wife retired and it didn’t bug me a bit. If she likes working then more power to her. Just pick up some duties around the house to help her out. I can’t imagine starting to look for w@rk at this point
Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
At 63 you deserve to retire.
This x1000. If life is like a toilet paper roll...there *may not* be too many sheets left.

I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice. The freedom that comes with FULL RETIREMENT is something that I simply can't give up.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #14

You shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not wanting to scramble to get another job at 63, when you were planning on retiring at 64.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #15

It kind of sounds as if your plans were never really discussed with your wife. I mean, one year early with some severance is nbd. You're FI, and at 63 the odds of a good bigtech job are low.

In our years up until ER, DH and I were looking at our progress and goals together every few months, and talking about when we'd ER, and what we'd do, on a regular basis.

I'm not sure how there's such a big disconnect here between you and your wife, but I think you need to keep talking with her. Going to work to avoid feeling guilty would be silly.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
If life is like a toilet paper roll...there *may not* be too many sheets left.
Seems like a rather sh!tty view on life!
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #17

I know exactly what you're going through.
I was "resource actioned" at 55 from a very large IT company.
3 years later I still can't decide if I'm retired or unemployed.

For me, finding a job in tech without relocating is not going to happen. Plus I've found my ability to deal with BS had dramatically shrunk... So I guess I'm retired.

I want the numbers to work saying I'm retired, yet I can't bring myself to through out all the software manuals I've accumulated because "I might need them later". As if this or that book is going to be key to getting/keeping my next job.

I don't know how convincing or borderline your retirement math is, and if your spouse can understand whatever projections you've done vs. eyes glazing over during the conversation... but one possible way to steer the discussion with your spouse:
"If not now, when?"
"What are we waiting for?" "What needs to happen first?"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Not at all. It's simply a fact, just another way of looking at it. Time compression is a real thing.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Not at all. It's simply a fact, just another way of looking at it. Time compression is a real thing.
Back to bed with you!
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post

Back to bed with you!

Nah, I had a nap earlier...I am good to go!