Retiree college student (or: the grey wolf)

pedorrero

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, the fourth week at USF is about to start. I'm 46, a part-time student again (it's been five years). Not the oldest on campus, but pretty close to it. I'm studying Spanish (BA program) probably to no career end (who wants to w*ork:confused:) but it'll come in handy on future trips south of the border, or shopping in Florida for that matter. I certainly enjoy the student body (so to speak) ... thank goodness for the warm winters. My main complaint is the long commute: about an hour each way. Also no takers (yet) on finding other students to study with. But I recommend higher education, even with baser motives >:D for the dirty old man who likes to broaden his mind while minding the broads.

-- Pedorrero, who can't vote for Ron Paul this Tuesday (because he's a registered Libertarian) but did pick up a bumper sticker at campus.

i've had a few college professor friends over the years and i could never understand how they work that job. every year they get older but the students never age like some dorian gray nightmare.

learning more spanish is a great idea. it really opens up a whole other world of travel and gives you lots more options on where to retire.

i was at usf in 1975-about 77. lived at fontana hall, an off-campus, dormatory-style, 13-story zoo on fletcher at north end of campus. we used to put a table and chairs in the elevator and play cards or backgammon there.

when hurricane wilma cut our electric for two weeks i got out of town and did a roadtrip around florida. while in tampa i visted my old haunt. got to go inside fontana hall (think it has new name now--cool, just found it The Edge on 42nd | Tampa, FL Student Housing) and spoke to some of the students. then i toured the campus and i almost started to tear up because i couldn't find the library. so much change over 30 years.

though i was able to get directions from a campus cop. and he was so respectful of this grey haired guy in his then silver t-bird. funny 'cause i was likely stoned a lot my last time there. but talking to the cop this time didn't make me paranoid at all. well whatdaya know.

Thanks Bum! I've ridden my bike past the Edge so I kind of know the area. After some fiddling, I managed to find out that, yes, you can email all the students in a class to (for instance) ask if they'd like to study. Got some takers. So at least I will be able to study and who knows what else. It's a nice campus and I look forward to spending more time there. On the other hand, the junk food places with Wi-Fi 40 miles from campus have more free seating :p

Joining in as an ancient college student starting this term. 3/4 hours and still working. All of mine are online so I've got no ogling potential for my fellow students! ;)

I am finding my classes very interesting and hope I will keep up the enthusiasm--it has been a very long time since I was in school, and I was the "not living up to her potential" student for pretty much my entire school career!

My sister did a lot of coursework (most of bachelors and all of masters) at USF and lived in a fairly raunchy area where crack fiends stole the quarters from the washing machines--as a visiting teen, I thought it was most exotic, especially when the parking lot flooded 3 feet deep! That was maybe late 80s.

I think it's great that your taking college classes in Spanish. Learning a language is a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun. I'm certainly not a natural at languages but am taking French classes at our local JC which has a very good language department.

Bonne chance!

Back
Top Bottom