Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How are you handling the Financial Crisis and its impact on you
Emotion [Very Worried] - [Impact] Standard of Living is going to drop in a big way 6 3.70%
Emotion [Very Worried] - [Impact] No Standard of Living drop 7 4.32%
Emotion [Worried] - [Impact] Standard of Living is going to drop Modestly 52 32.10%
Emotion [Worried] - [Impact] No Standard of Living is going to drop 33 20.37%
Emotion [Not Worried] - [Impact] Standard of Living is going to drop slightly 28 17.28%
Emotion [Not Worried] - [Impact] No Standard of Living is going to drop 36 22.22%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was truly not pleased by today's market action. Death of a thousand cuts; each one a really big ugly slash oozing blood.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I was truly not pleased by today's market action. Death of a thousand cuts; each one a really big ugly slash oozing blood.

Ha
I was not surprised. Gave back most of last weeks gains. Sucks.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Yep. It set me back 1 week. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

I don't understand how people can avoid looking at their portfolio. Being more in individual stocks than MFs right now, I have the stock screen of Microsoft Money up all day to monitor, though I do not daytrade. I've just got to know.

PS. Oops, it's called morbid curiosity.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

why worry, hasn't the bad news already been priced into the market?

Dow plunges on news recession began in Dec. 2007 - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Dow plunges on news recession began in Dec. 2007

WASHINGTON – Most Americans sorely knew it already, but now it's official: The country is in a recession, and it's getting worse. Wall Street convulsed at the news — and a fresh batch of bad economic reports — tanking nearly 680 points.

fire ain't nothin' but a crapshoot.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #25

Worried, but no impact.

"Worried" is overstated - "carefully watching" is more accurate.

We have a DB COLA'd pension but if that goes away we're in deep doo-doo. Not right away, we have 4-5 years of living expenses saved, but still....
Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #26
Administrator

I am not retired yet (so I did not vote), but do plan to retire next November. My investments are pretty much in place. I would have voted "worried but no impact", I guess, though "all of the above" would apply depending on my mood du jour.

Looking at my dividends for the past half year, and assuming no change in portfolio size (yeah, I know....), on just dividends and not dipping into my cash reserves I will be able to spend over 40% more after ER than I have been spending on average during the last few years.*

BUT - - We may not have hit bottom yet. Also, who knows - - dividends might be cut a lot, too, and that could reduce my projected income. So, I will probably try to keep my spending down if the market continues like this, just in case. This is for emotional, not financial reasons since it will allow me to feel like I am doing something about market effects on my portfolio. If the market continues to recover, I'll spend more.

* The exact amount depends on my tax rate. As always, I am only counting on 70% of all income being left after taxes, which is probably way overly pessimistic. And yes, I am not spending much right now but I am used to that and anyway I don't have a lot of time to shop or enjoy my purchases due to w*rk. And, I didn't count the money I gave my daughter a couple of weeks ago for her wedding and/or honeymoon, since we agreed that is a one-time expense.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I am seriously worried about my relatives that must work and have jobs that may be lost because of the recession.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I am seriously worried about my relatives that must work and have jobs that may be lost because of the recession.
Absolutely!! I'm even really worried about people that I don't even know who must work and who might lose jobs. I know first hand what it is like to need work and have no job and that is terrible. However, I didn't think that was relevant for this particular poll so like others, I didn't mention that. Maybe I was wrong.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
this is very similar to the conditions when i graduated from college in 1980. it wasn't pretty. but people who want to work will always find something. let's hope things improve.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

yeah, same feeling for my tenants ... need them to stay employed, too.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me too, my advanced-middle-aged single sister works at Citi...ouch.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure that the pension vs. individually financed FIRE issue really matters that much. I don't have a pension, all my income comes from my various investments. I am required to manage those investments, but that process isn't all that onerous. I have a decent income pretty much guaranteed by my well diversified investments. If things were to go to hell enough that I couldn't count on that money (after exhausting my multi-year cash supply first), I doubt very much that most non-gov't pensions would be worth much. I also suspect that in the above situation gov't pensions wouldn't be all that dependable either. We'd be looking at a total chicken little collapse. The gov't would be printing money 24x7, while claiming 3% inflation for the COLAs.

I voted slightly worried with a small decrease in lifestyle. My worry is for my family and friends, especially my DD who is just starting out. However, like Freebird said, things aren't all that much different than in the early 80s, when I was starting out myself. If you want to work, there's usually something available. And as I remember, after those first few tight years the raises got bigger to counter inflation, and opportunities were everywhere for those willing to step up.

My decrease in lifestyle is mostly just emotion/common sense. When things get tight, it never hurts to tighten the belt a bit. Who needs to eat out 5 times/week? It just creates a little leeway, which I can use to help out DD and DGD if things go way south for them.

JMO.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm not sure that the pension vs. individually financed FIRE issue really matters that much. I don't have a pension, all my income comes from my various investments. I am required to manage those investments, but that process isn't all that onerous. I have a decent income pretty much guaranteed by my well diversified investments. If things were to go to hell enough that I couldn't count on that money (after exhausting my multi-year cash supply first), I doubt very much that most non-gov't pensions would be worth much. I also suspect that in the above situation gov't pensions wouldn't be all that dependable either. We'd be looking at a total chicken little collapse. The gov't would be printing money 24x7, while claiming 3% inflation for the COLAs.
Having a COLA'd pension & retiree health care would sure reduce risk. Pensions pretty much remove longevity and investment return risk. Those of us with self-managed retirement nest eggs pretty much have to plan on inferior returns and beyond average longevity or face plan failure.

Inflation risk, which you identify, hits SIRE & FIRE equally --- not a distinction IMHO.

We're all in trouble if there's some sort of catastrophic economic failure though, so a moot factor.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
. And, I didn't count the money I gave my daughter a couple of weeks ago for her wedding and/or honeymoon, since we agreed that is a one-time expense.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding . I cried when I took my daughter to try on wedding gowns . It was so emotional . I also contributed a lump sum and bought the dress ,veil & tiara . Money well spent . The next one time expense will be outfitting the nursery .
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #35
Administrator

Thanks, Moemg. I am so happy for both of them! He proposed to her about a month ago on top of the Space Needle in Seattle, with the lights of the whole city below them and the stars above, which I thought was SO romantic. He even had the ring and did the whole bended knee thing, and the ring actually fit.

I told her she could spend the money on a fancy wedding, honeymoon, new car, partial down payment for a house, or whatever. She is absolutely dying to go to Japan for their honeymoon, but they are discussing it. I flew out to Oregon two weeks ago to see them, and it is fun to be around people who are so happy!

I don't know if they plan to have kids, or not. (They haven't even set a date for the wedding, yet.) But if they do, then I guess I can afford a crib. Imagine me, "Granny W2R"!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

In a couple of years from now we'll all look back on 2008 and claim that we rode it out with no emotions and stayed the course. Some will have lied to themselves.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
In a couple of years from now we'll all look back on 2008 and claim that we rode it out with no emotions and stayed the course. Some will have lied to themselves.
It seems that most of us, maybe even all of us, have not been net sellers of stock during this downturn. As for emotions, no shame in being shaken up by some of these huge drops.

Ha
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #38

I'm not really worried even though I won't be able to do some big ticket items until the market comes back. Worst part is I'm not getting any younger so the timing of this setback sucks and to add insult to injury I didn't even need to have as much in equities as I had. Let that be a lesson to ya Sonny.

I have a pension and will collect SS next year. Between the two they will provide 60% of my normal living expenses and my portfolio should kick off enough to more than cover the remaining 40%. So now I just wait to party.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I have emotions. I was so frozen with fear I stayed with my original plan. Maybe years from now Ill wish I panicked made the smart move and went to cash.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

What bothers me that during the tech boom I started feeling uneasy and bailed out of the high flying tech stocks so how come I did not see it coming this time ? Was it just greed that motivated me to stay put or overconfidence in the market ?