Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #21

For a couple of years after retirement I still taught computer forensics online and at an annual two-week seminar in FL, which of course required a lot of preparation.

After that I was helping a friend build a Pitts Special (acrobatic biplane) which was an interesting project, which he later said he probably wouldn't have finished if I hadn't kept showing up every few days to egg him on.

I tried a couple of other odd jobs just to see how they'd work out. Not very well. But I learned from that too.

The local library has more books than I could ever finish reading, I'm going there later this morning to get some to read at work this weekend. At the moment I'm reading The Elephant and the Dragon, about the economies of Inida and China.

Take up a new hobby, or revive an old one like photography. Digital cameras and Photoshop Elements are a fascinating combination. For me anyway.

And of course there are some days I try not to do too much thinking. I've read that hard work never hurt anyone, but why take chances?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not retired yet...

But I follow along on several forii - er.org, Bogleheads, Crossfit, bike forum. Read several blogs on fitness and nutrition, Fred On Everything... Check out CNN, Fox, Economist, and other sites as I feel the urge. Keep up with the inanity on Facebook.

Play guitar, workout, wonder around the bookstore. Listen to the mockingbirds and cardinals, ride the bike, taste some wine...

I'm naturally inquisitive, not to mention ADD. Sometimes I'd like to slow the brain down... I have ways!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
.......................... Sometimes I'd like to slow the brain down... I have ways!
...........and it is practically legal in some states, now.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Read a lot
Avoid TV
Bird watching -- a lot of details & sounds to memorize
Volunteer with TaxAide - every year the tax laws change and you have to keep up. On top of that, the clients are pretty smart folks and they keep you on your toes.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I've given Facebook my best shot, but I have to tell ya...it bores me to death.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
+1
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I think it is hard to tell if one is "staying sharp". I do a few things, for interest and also I do hope that they might preserve a few brain cells.

Argentine tango is one- it is a pretty heavy challenge- balance, remembering the steps, learning the music such that one's dance is well fitted to a song, remembering a lot of people's names. It takes a lot of concentration to keep track of where your partner’s body is- what foot her weight is on, whether she has had time to fully complete the previous movement, and in the case of my partner, helping her to stay with the pulse. She grew up in Sweden dancing hambo, and while that may make a great hambo dancer it seems to predispose toward enthusiasm and energy expenditure, rather than close attention to the music. Tango is bit like a free form ballet. The lead also has to keep is eye on the other dancers, to avoid being crashed into or crashing into other dancers.

Learning Spanish is another. I spend probably two hours daily on this Spanish, project. And maybe 6-8 hours/week dancing.

And portfolio managing since I use individual stocks and I do not solely buy and hold with a fixed allocation plan.

I also walk a great deal, up and down hills. My car is getting close to 5 years old and I only have ~26,000 miles on the odometer.

I do think that I will work harder when I am being held to a standard, so it isn’t nearly as demanding as work or even university.

Ha
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it is hard to tell if one is "staying sharp".

Me too. There are times when I think I'm sharper than ever and others when I think I'm losing. The latter occurs when I watch an entire movie before realizing that I've seen it before.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Learning Spanish is another. I spend probably two hours daily on this Spanish, project. And maybe 6-8 hours/week dancing.
Ha

How are you working on learning Spanish? I spent 6 years learning Spanish in school (years ago) and was close to fluent. One of my goals is to at least refresh some of my Spanish. I've read that it can be helpful to watch Spanish TV. Any thoughts on this?
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The latter occurs when I watch an entire movie before realizing that I've seen it before.
That happens to me with books.

Now I keep a list of what I read. It's a big list but it's easily searched and it's a time-saver.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

For the next few months still working as a independent contractor, at old company, but that will end soon if the guy they are trying to hire full time takes the job.
Have two year old granddaughter, 600 miles away but I take a great interest in her.
Otherwise sit on my butt and watch CNBC, and plot how to make money in the market but not loose any,which may be a fruitless passtime.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #32

Quote:
I keep up with my far-flung friends and family with FB, and a few that are nearby but are more or less shut-ins, or work odd hours. I also have some 'feeds' that pertain to my hobbies and interests, that usually make me shift my brain into gear and think.

I check things shortly after getting up in the morning while I listen to the news, then again in the afternoon when I go for my coffee run, and usually late in the evening before bedtime. Usually less than an hour total per day.....unless I get in a conversation with someone, or dig around for more info on something that I read in one of the 'feeds'. Plus it's almost always on my iPhone, so I can be out & about, and I'm not glued in front of the PC in the house.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #33

I keep trying to improve my English by reading novels, listening to audiobooks, posting here..... I know itīs not nearly enough, but....
Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
How are you working on learning Spanish? I spent 6 years learning Spanish in school (years ago) and was close to fluent. One of my goals is to at least refresh some of my Spanish. I've read that it can be helpful to watch Spanish TV. Any thoughts on this?
That's my main thing these days. I've been watching the evening programming on Telemundo. I have the captions (in Spanish) turned on which helps when they use a word you don't know. I think it is helping my hearing comprehension a great deal plus broadening my vocabulary. But you probably have to be fairly advanced Spanish speaker for this to work - otherwise it could get frustrating.

In other words — it's a great thing to do for your Spanish.

Audrey
Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent the first 6 months putting chicken wire around anything that did not move. Time consuming but worth it. DW would come home from work and ask why. My response: Are you crazy? Chicken wire would never hold anything that moves except chickens, and we don't have any chickens.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Besides all of the mental activities already mentioned, I think that exercise is very important - being physically active helps keep you mentally sharp.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm keeping my FB account just until a meeting is done at the end of the month. Then I may keep my mind alert by figuring out how to cancel the account.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Besides all of the mental activities already mentioned, I think that exercise is very important - being physically active helps keep you mentally sharp.
+1

Read, play music and learn a new song every week, golf, take classes and work part time during tax season.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I just retired and am not bored in the least. I do yoga 3 times a week, take classes, read (I'm in a book club), walk and "play" online. Oh yes, I also watch Indy and foreign films that I get on Netflix.

Right now, living in IL. Plan to move to FL where I will add 2 nine hole rounds of golf to my weekly schedule and a bird watching trek or two. Ain't life grand?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
...........and it is practically legal in some states, now.
It's illegal?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote