Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retirees return to campus living
Old 11-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirees return to campus living

Someone here may find this appealing. It seems that many universities and colleges are looking to create a revenue stream by creating retirement communities on campus. This gives the retiree access to campus dining, sports, lectures and health facilities.

http://realestate.msn.com/buying/Art...mentid=1122316
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Retirees return to campus living
Old 11-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Village at Penn State, for example, charges an upfront fee that ranges from $171,000 for a one-bedroom apartment to $372,000 for a 1,800-square-foot cottage. Monthly fees start at about $2,100 and top out at $3,600.

Sounds kind of interesting, but wouldn't it be cheaper to simply apply for a degree program and then live on campus?
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It would be cheaper to apply for a degree program and then live on campus....but then you would be in the dorms :P -- this was a blast in my late teens and early 20s BUT, now?

I can see how this(the 1 BR or cottage) would be great for the right type of person esp. if the college town was near family - It would provide an active and fun environment -
KEGGERS!
Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #4

How about just living close to the campus? What's the difference?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

access to campus dining
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #6

For dirty old men, access to lots of viewing 18-21 year old ladies!!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Of course all those 21 year-old's are going to look at you like you are somebodies father...and therefore invisible.

I live within close proximity to my alma-mater, and several other colleges in the immediate area. I like the energy of college towns.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #8

Of course all those 21 year-old's are going to look at you like you are somebodies father...and therefore invisible.

Not necessarily...after all, the phrase "WhooshyerDaddy!!" had to come from somewhere before the GreaseMan picked up on it! :P
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
The Village at Penn State, for example, charges an upfront fee that ranges from $171,000 for a one-bedroom apartment to $372,000 for a 1,800-square-foot cottage. Monthly fees start at about $2,100 and top out at $3,600.
Sounds kind of interesting, but wouldn't it be cheaper to simply apply for a degree program and then live on campus?
Yeah, and think of how many times you could sell the same term papers, book reports, & theses over 20-30 years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Right. Wearing parkas and Birkenstocks. Wouldn’t it be more cost-effective and to the point to just drop a few bucks in your local strip joint on your way back from your morning Starbuck's?

Ha
Old 11-18-2006, 06:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They want that liveliness and energy that comes from being around younger people.
I just feel sorry for the young women creeped out and distressed by leering old men. On top of the creepiness they sometimes get from flirtatious professors.

Quote:
And, she says, "There are three levels of care." Residents start out in their own apartments, but are then able to move into assisted living and ultimately skilled nursing beds as their health fails, without their monthly payments rising significantly.
So part of the cost is really health care/LTC insurance, at least at Stanford.

And no extra charge to audit classes.

Quote:
Cash-strapped universities and colleges see the senior projects as a way to generate revenue, either by leasing excess land to senior-housing developers or by simply forging closer ties with alumni donors. "Anything you can do that keeps you connected to alumni is a good thing," says Steve MacCarthy, Penn State vice president of university relations.
And there's no better time to strengthen this bond, observers say, than in former students' golden years, when they are more likely to bequeath a larger chunk of their estate.
While Godfrey is no Stanford alum (she graduated from UC Berkeley in 1941), she's found herself contributing to Stanford organizations, including the Hoover Institution.
This seems like a great idea, where most everyone wins. Money for the school, and a more intellectually (and maybe socially) active and meaningful life for the retirees.

If managed well, might even be good for intergenerational relations. Maybe young people will form an impression of old people as wise, friendly, and useful, instead of crazy/foggy, grumpy, and useless, like on TV.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday

Maybe young people will form an impression of old people as wise, friendly, and useful .
Just like me.

JG
Old 11-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
I just feel sorry for the young women creeped out and distressed by leering old men. On top of the creepiness they sometimes get from flirtatious professors.

A bit of "galting" first thing in the am. Gotta love it!

IMHO, most men don't stop looking until they are dead. It's in the genes.
I am naturally flirtatious but completely harmless with intentions
pure as new fallen snow. There is a fine line between "creepy leering"
and honest friendly interest. Unfortunately for "young women", it takes
time to learn how to judge this and deal with it. If they are waiting for old men to stop looking, they have a long wait.

JG
Old 11-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #14

My former boss from mega corp retired at 55 and went back to school (Stanford) for his doctorate. Sold his 6 bedroom victorian and settled into a 900 sq ft grad housing .... wife was not happy about putting the piano in storage.

Seems to me she has alot to be "unhappy" about!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Some scenes from the movie old school are flashing through my head. I think my old fraternity probably would have pledged a retiree in his 50s as long as he was willing to help coordinate the panty raids, clean the bathrooms, and drink 40s in the basement with the rest of his pledge class...
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
I think my old fraternity probably would have pledged a retiree in his 50s as long as he was willing to help coordinate the panty raids, clean the bathrooms, and drink 40s in the basement with the rest of his pledge class...
Sounds like Rodney Dangerfield time!

I'm not looking for a job... but would we get free broadband access with that?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The Stanford senior residence is EXPENSIVE!!! UC Davis is less so, but by no means cheap.

Homes in Los Altos and Palo Alto are no bargin either, no wonder she had to put the piano in storage.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:39 PM   #18

I happenned to walk through the Stanford senior center community a few months ago... on my way to an appointment at the Stanford dermatology center. I could see the attraction of the location for retirees... you're steps away from the world class medical facilities at Stanford hospital, and across the street from the Stanford shopping center which is considered world class shopping (and has world class hot housewives wandering around alone in the middle of the day).
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
(and has world class hot housewives wandering around alone in the middle of the day).
What is the exact address?

JG
Old 11-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

And world class hot business women spending their own money. Sorry, my kid is taken.