Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirement abroad?
Old 11-08-2003, 05:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We live in the swamp 35 minutes from the French Quarter.
Could you mention where? Slidell? I think New Orleans is as good as it gets. But it's the only place I have ever been attacked since I became an adult. Pretty rough city; I got out of my comfort zone. Worked out ok, but hurt like hell.

Mikey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Climate - during our working years we often visited my parents(Kelso/Longview/Kalama) and other relatives during Christmas - she said Washington reminded her too much of her youth in PA and Upper Michigan - still like the old sod myself.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:20 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Slidell is the nearest dry ground - technically we're in the city and parish of New Orleans - the area has several names - Fort Pike/Rigolets/Lake Catherine/Salt Bayou/Pirates Harbor - the parish line is maybe a mile out in the water from our back deck.

I've never had any problems in New Orleans in 25 years but I agree it can be a rough town.
Re: Retirement abroad?--reply to mikey, #20
Old 11-08-2003, 09:34 PM   #24

Re: Retirement abroad?--reply to mikey, #20

mikey,

>>What are the negatives that you perceive that might lever you out of there? [Bellingham]

We like B'ham a LOT. It is a really fine place. It is small and has everything we like. I have a dyn-o-mite view over Puget Sound to the west from my living room. But I have to have a job to stay here. Can't afford to retire here--i.e., can't live here without working (although I am trying to do that at the moment, unsuccessfully).

>>Also, you say you worked for Longview Fiber- what do you think about Longview?

Not much. Big Milltown. We have driven past there on I-5 hundreds of times in the 30 years since and never even stopped for gas. I'd pick Spokane instead, for the weather. Can't imagine why anyone would even consider living in Longview.

I like Seattle, too. (We lived in Kirkland for years and I went to the U of W.) Unfortunately, it takes a LOT of money to live there.

Following later threads, we lived in Baton Rouge for a couple of years a while back. I like dat Cajun stuff, me. There are a couple of places on the web that web-cast radio stations from Louisiana, by the way, so I can get my zydeco fix now and then. Jes' fo' fun, see dis link: http://www.cajunmusic.dk/ We also lived in Denmark a while later on, which is what tickles me about the link. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going back to Lafayette and learn how to be a Cajun.

Cheers,

Ed The Gypsy

Old 11-09-2003, 12:10 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent 5 years living several places in Washington and travelling virtually everywhere in the state. I would say that Yakima has the best climate, combined with attractive views of the Cascades if you live in the right area. Both Yakima and Spokane have a lot of high overcast in winter, but not the rain that occurs west of the Cascades except in the "rain shadow" of the Olympics.

I also like the San Juan Islands, particularly Orcas Island, which benefit from the rain shadow. But I think that I'd feel a bit confined if I lived on an island. I would certainly get a boat if I did, because that area and the area north of it in Canada has some of the most beautiful boating in the world, plus salmon fishing.

Another really interesting area is the Columbia Gorge starting about 50 miles east of Portland/Vancouver. The climate there changes virtually by the mile from west to east. There seems to be a fair amount of new housing in that area, and I hope that it won't destroy the scenery (although it would be hard to duplicate the effects of past forest clearcutting and road, railroad, and dam construction along the Columbia).
Old 11-10-2003, 05:57 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

As for Washington State, I can knit pick or bear hug depending on my mood. I was 26 years old before I realized back east wasn't Yakima. I still root for the Huskies(U of W graduate) and remember logi-beers.

If I spoke a foriegn language - trying to dip my toes by visiting and checking out the local expats might be considered - provided I had a home base stragety if it didn't work.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:05 AM   #27

Re. the great Northwest (Wash, Oregon, BC). I've been
there; never lived there, but both my brother and son
have. They opined that if they moved again
(both in Illinois now) that area would probably be
first on their list. I agree it's awfully pretty. Not an option for us. We need warm and sunny most of the
year.

John Galt
Old 11-12-2003, 05:45 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I still root for the Huskies(U of W graduate) and remember logi-beers.
I went to graduate school at UW and learned a lot of the local terms like a "Chinook" and a "geoduck," but what is a logi-beer?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:05 AM   #29

What do you think of climate in Washington?

Hi

Seems like many of you have lived in Washington state; I only visited once to Vancouver, BC, in October; it wasn't too bad. Is rain and overcast pretty bad there? Compared to Dallas, TX in winter or Pennsylvania? Thanks,
Old 11-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #30

What do you think of climate in Washington?

Hi

Seems like many of you have lived in Washington state; I only visited once to Vancouver, BC, in October; it wasn't too bad. Is rain and overcast pretty bad there? Compared to Dallas, TX in winter or Pennsylvania? Thanks,
Old 11-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Circa 1964, at the 45th Street Looking Glass Tavern - they served a glass of Rainer beer containing one shot of Pomeralle Logan Berry Wine - a few of those and longboard shuffleboard turned kind of curvy - at least that's my memory of senior year U of W days. Red beers were never like that when I moved back east to Colorado.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Re: What do you think of climate in Washington?

Quote:
Is rain and overcast pretty bad there? *Compared to Dallas, TX in winter or Pennsylvania?
Well, I have never been to Pennsylvania in winter, except driving the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Christmas. Washington is definitely nicer than that. As to Dallas in winter, I have spent a number of Christmases there, and Dallas is much, much nicer than Washington that time of year. Ditto for spring until it gets too hot in Dallas.

Lately it does seem that we have have less drizzle, and more hard rains. It is probably just normal variation.

Mikey
Old 11-13-2003, 04:34 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember Christmas in Dallas. Lovely time of year.
I enjoyed the summer also. 100+ for over a week
and I enjoyed every minute. Got to get back there
soon.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:30 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

The main generalization that can be made about the climate in the Northwest is that it is cool and almost continuously overcast in winter, and cool and sunny in summer. West of the Cascades, it drizzles when it is overcast, while east of the Cascades it is more likely to snow, but the precipitation is much less.

People west of the Cascades tend to participate in outdoor activities in winter in spite of the drizzle. For example, they play golf all winter. The fairways get so soggy that you can hit a perfect drive and have it bury in the mud in the middle of the fairway.

To address this, I invented a new type of golf club called a "mud wedge." It consists of the blade of a pitching wedge welded onto the head of an 8 pound sledgehammer. It will get a ball out of practically anything, although when you carry it in your golf bag, it makes you sink deeper into the mud.

People also ski all winter in the Cascades. It gets so icy there that you can come down on ice skates. In fact, the highways get a condition called "black ice" that allows a person to skate all of the way home on the pavement. Like having a condo right on the slopes!

Unfortunately, the overcast weather tends to make people west of the Cascades humorless, which is the main reason that I left.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Hey Ted

As a native Washintonian let me rise to the defense of the old sod.

There is no such thing as drizzle - we always called it 'Seattle sunshine'. That other thing is really a UFO which appears at random about twelve days a year.

One should only golf during/after rain gives you enough fairway puddles to skip the golf ball. Al low drive with topspin - waxing the ball also helps.

Sking in the rain gets you in the mood to watch the Mt. Baker slush cup.

Black ice is a good excuse to own
a sport's car - preferably a British ragtop.

As for being humorless - you need to understand how serious things really are - which BTY I don't blame on weather - but possibly too many dirty blond jokes - although Jeff Foxworthy might disagree.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:48 AM   #36

Getting back to "retirement abroad", I would love to do it (somewhere warm and with lots of water). Alas,
the time for this has passed me by. Too many entanglements here in the states and not enough
energy to do the research/make the move. So, no longer an option for me. I find this a bit sad, as I
hate losing options which once were there for me.
On the other hand, cutting down your options can simplify
the decision process. Anyway, we will remain within
"the friendly confines", even if a bit reluctantly.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:31 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Yup!

To many entanglements/plus Stuff here.

During working years I hired the same engineer twice over a span of years - after his jobs in Australia. I always wanted to four wheel the Outback - he was a motorcyle guy. His wife convinced him the USA was the place to raise the kids.

Raised on the West coast - Australia/New Zealand always had appeal - never made it. Interestingly we managed okay with just English during our one trip to Germany/Finland in the 80's - but tourist is not the same as living there.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:10 AM   #38

How about Canada, BC, Kelowna. IT is Kind of abroad.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:11 AM   #39

How about Canada, BC, Kelowna. It is Kind of abroad.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me(we - me included) kind of picked on Canada's cost of living/affordability recently. I always liked B.C. and the Canadian's going as a tourist over two decades. She on the other hand nixed the Pacific NW climate.