Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirement abroad?
Old 02-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

FIREman wrote: My experience is that it depends more on what sort of person you are than where you come from. If you are affable and outgoing, you are going to make a lot more social contacts than if you are socially shy or prickly.

Thanks. I see what you are saying FIREman, but all things being equal would you agree with the idea?

Saver

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2004, 11:23 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Certainly do. Especially if you make the effort to absorb the local culture.

Just for reference, even if every one else speaks English, if you have a different accent from them, you might as well be speaking Swahili sometimes.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:07 AM   #63

Just to put in my two cents...
I've been stationed in Europe, mostly the Balkans and Eastern Europe for the past nine years and I've decided to retire in Hungary. I'll probably travel to the states a few times each year, but having been born in Hungary and having a Hungarian wife I will get on their healthplan basically for free, although it does not come close to American quality.

Being a member of the EU will make things a bit better, although many people are very anti American since the war in Iraq.

The Croatian Coast is only five hours away, and the rest of Europe is not far away.

Being away from America for so long I have observed that we are too money oriented and are workaholics with too much debt.

I'll try it in Europe for a while and will eventually end up in Florida...maybe.

Is there anyone else out there that is retired and spends most of their time in Europe?
Old 10-23-2004, 06:07 AM   #64

I've been stationed in Europe, mostly the Balkans and Eastern Europe for the past nine years and I've decided to retire in Hungary. I'll probably travel to the states a few times each year, but having been born in Hungary and having a Hungarian wife I will get on their healthplan basically for free, although it does not come close to American quality.

Being a member of the EU will make things a bit better, although many people are very anti American since the war in Iraq.

The Croatian Coast is only five hours away, and the rest of Europe is not far away.

Being away from America for so long I have observed that we are too money oriented and are workaholics with too much debt.

I'll try it in Europe for a while and will eventually end up in Florida...maybe.

Is there anyone else out there that is retired and spends most of their time in Europe?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

All:

Note the Burns advice on retirment savings strategy in this era of cheap dollars versus Euro's for Spain/Europe:

http://www.uexpress.com/scottburns/

Old 01-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #66

Quote:

I hear Eastern Europe is a great place to invest (real estate wise). Do you have any thoughts on this?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #67

Quote:

I hear Eastern Europe is a great place to invest (real estate wise). Do you have any thoughts on this?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #68

Quote:

I hear Eastern Europe is a potentially great place to invest real estate wise. Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:13 AM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

We've spent long winter trips (6-7 weeks) backpacking through Thailand, Costa Rica, Panama, and Belize, so I can agree enthusiastically with those who wish to spend their ER in these countries. We especially liked Thailand and Panama-- both were clean, had potable water from the tap, excellent public transportation, and incredible friendly-- oh, and really cheap, although Panama is a little bit more expensive than the other places (so is Belize).

The highlands in western Panama around Chiriqui are not to be missed. There are a lot of vegetable and coffee farmers of European descent (many generations ago) who settled up there, and it's easy to see why- gorgeous rivers and mountains, flowers year-round, pleasant climate year-round.

We thought about buying a place overseas (for a brief moment) but the hassles aren't worth it for us. We would rather just rent a bungalow at one of the inexpensive family-run lodges in one of these places for $200-300/ month and have a base from which to travel and explore the countryside. That way, we can try a new locale every winter or stay at one repeatedly if we really like it. We envision spending 2-4 months overseas in the winter.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I just made a short trip to South Texas, and crossed into northern Mexico. While down there a tourist told us about kidnappings, and I scoffed at the idea. Now we hear the State Dept is warning about same and worse. I know these warnings go out a lot and can be just crying wolf, however tis best to beware. The game of kidnapping and making you empty your ATM/credit card account is prevalent. On the other hand, there are thousands of US and Canadians living in San Miguel and Guadaljara.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I understand the same thing occurs in a lot of American cities - heh,heh.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The game of kidnapping and making *you empty your ATM/credit card account is prevalent.
If it happens (either in Mexico or in the US as UncleMick points out) the best thing to do is to comply. Even a couple of thousand bucks can be replaced but your money will do you little good if you're dead.

When I FIRE and become a full-time traveller the account that I will have an ATM card on will only have a limited amount of money in it - perhaps enough for 2 months living expenses (at most). I will have it set up so that the monthly allowance gets automatically transferred in from the larger brokerage account but there will be no way to request transfers in from the bank account. If I lose it then it won't really hurt that much though I won't be happy about it.

I wonder if the theft loss limits on the credit and debit cards applies if you were coerced into withdrawing the money?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand the same thing occurs in a lot of American cities - heh,heh.
Uncle M, you are right. But this also neglects an important difference. In most areas of American cities where you are likely to be, the would-be perp can't single you out of the crowd, unless you are acting in some way so as to draw attention.

Away from home, especially if the base ethnicity is non- European, you are singled out loud and clear. You automatically join the class of limping antelope.

Eagle, to get a follow-up on border kidnapping, rape and murder, read the Laredo newspaper. Ay, que mala cosa!

Mikey
Old 01-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #74

Quote:
If it happens (either in Mexico or in the US as UncleMick points out) the best thing to do is to comply. Even a couple of thousand bucks can be replaced but your money will do you little good if you're dead.
This reminds me of the Jack Benny joke where the mugger says to him "your money or your life".

After a few moments of silence, the mugger yells. "What are you waiting for - I said Your money or your life".

Benny says "Hold on - I'm thinking about it"