Retirement bad for your health? Huh?

There have been other studies along these lines. I think the findings were that retirement kills off men, but not women. That observation is consistent with the view that men have drawn meaning, status, and society from work while women were focused on the home. Probably that has changed somewhat by now, but maybe not a lot.

The take-home message would be that finding ways to provide meaning and social contact in retirement would be very important, especially for men.

Studies show that everyone who has ever retired early have either already died or will die someday, so it must be bad for your health.

Studies show that everyone who has ever retired early have either already died or will die someday, so it must be bad for your health.

And not everyone that has died actually worked. So maybe work is good for you.

Well, I'm willing to take a gamble, face my imminent death and retire early. I hear some women dig reckless bad boy risk takers. :facepalm:

A recent study showed that most people wanted to work longer passed
65, but about 70% of them actually retired before 65,because of poor health,
or being laid off, downsized, etc.
Obviously, those in poor health may die shortly not because of retiring but
because of pre existing critical conditions.

Correlation is not causation. When will they learn that?

Last edited:
A recent study showed that most people wanted to work longer passed
65, but about 70% of them actually retired before 65,because of poor health,
or being laid off, downsized, etc.
Obviously, those in poor health may die shortly not because of retiring but
because of pre existing critical conditions.

Besides those good points, laid off workers may also be suffering from stress in combination with not being able to afford health insurance.

The COBRA insurance from DH's last job cost over 2K a month with a high deductible and out of pocket max. For households with pre-existing conditions, and how many 50+ years don''t have some disqualifying health issue, there are few other guaranteed issue insurance options other than COBRA / HIPAA for the unemployed until the ACA kicks in.

With median household income in the U.S. $50K, those just aren't amounts most people could afford to pay even if they weren't laid off. With premiums, co-pays and deductibles, a family of 4 could easily spend close to a full prior year's income on health care even with COBRA and HIPAA insurance.

Not yet retired, but based on how active we are on the weekends versus almost slug-like during the work week retiring will be excellent for our health.

We are well into our 4th year of retirement and if this is bad for our health, I just can't imagine how fit I would be back at work sitting at my desk, or in airports traveling on business, or on the site breathing all those healthy chemicals.

The article reminds me of similar BBC writings claiming causation when there is none. For example the continually feeble attempts to claim 'global warming' is causing everything. Other motives here as well beyond just attracting readers by shocking claims.

Also I smile when I read those articles elsewhere about 'delaying' taking SS as long as possible. For the government it is best if we apply for SS the day before we die...

http://www.iea.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/files/Work Longer, Live_Healthier.pdf
This is the 52 page actual research.
Their findings do not add up.
That the group behind this report has a political agenda to reduce state pensions cannot be discounted.
They present some interesting facts that show correlation between retirement and more health problems.
They also show incontrovertible and hard facts that show fewer people work longer now than in years past AND life expectancy and HEALTHY life expectancy have increased. The present these latter facts to support the idea that people should be able to work longer, which is their desired goal. But they fail to see how this undercuts their data conclusions.
Here are their facts drawn to their logical (using their logic- not sensible logic) conclusion:
People are living longer and healthier lives.
People are retiring earlier than ever before.
Retirement increases health problems.
Therefore- More health problems lead to longer and healthier lives.

Obviously they are missing something. Mortality may be,as they note, a crude indicator of health, but it is a
"Hard" indicator not subject to the biases that might skew their other data.

As I am reading this, looking out my window I can see my 84 year old neighbor planting more flowers next to his house. I assume he has already returned from his daily 7a.m. quick 9 hole round of golf he plays daily (too early for me to go with him). Maybe I should open up the window and yell at him and see what he thinks about that research paper? He hasn't worked since he retired back in 1986. :)

No doubt the article is right. Based upon these articles and others that tell us how to live longer we should all do the following immediately:

1. Go back to work for the man.
2. Eat nothing but raw veggies, whole grains and a few nuts.
3. Join a gym, lift weights for 30 minutes a day and then run 5 miles.
4. Never drink, coffee, alcohol, milk, or water with chlorine or fluoride in it.
5. Get un-vaccinated. Have your mercury fillings removed ASAP.
6. Sell your car. Fly or take the train everywhere. Both are safer than driving..
7. Take vitamin E every day. And A, B complex, D, zinc, magnesium, selenium, Co-enzym Q, macrobiotics, pine bark supplement, calcium, iron, and most of the periodic table.
8. Move to Japan.
9. Wear sunblock when every time you go outside. Even at night. The moon's light is actually reflected sunlight.
10. Cook with turmeric.
11. Win either an Academy Award or an Olympic medal. Both would be best.
12. Party a lot, go on dates, but don't get divorced.

I read a similar book to this before I decided to RE - just as a final check. After reading the book, I decided it was rubbish and proceeded to RE. After 2.5 years of retirement, I assure you I am in better health and am jogging again! Mentally, I am much improved and am better informed with current affairs. But I can appreciate that RE life may not work for everyone but surely there must be other rewarding and interactive alternatives for ex workaholics.

Back
Top Bottom