Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement bad for your health? Huh?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement bad for your health? Huh?

BBC News - Retirement 'harmful to health', study says

So a "think tank" (love that expression) has concluded in the UK that retirement is bad for your health in the long run. Concludes that between that and the economic situation people need to rethink retiring at "normal" age. Let's just say I'm skeptical. Judging from the comments, not a whole lot of agreement with the readers. Sounds to me like a government sponsored..."Cheer up chaps, we know you can't afford to retire but our studies show it's better for you to keep working!" No thanks. Doing just fine.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post

So a "think tank" (love that expression) has concluded in the UK that retirement is bad for your health in the long run. Concludes that between that and the economic situation people need to rethink retiring at "normal" age. Let's just say I'm skeptical. Judging from the comments, not a whole lot of agreement with the readers. Sounds to me like a government sponsored..."Cheer up chaps, we know you can't afford to retire but our studies show it's better for you to keep working!" No thanks. Doing just fine.
That reminds me of this, also from the UK: Boxer (Animal Farm) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

I have heard of similar studies. I think a lot of people work till the point where they develop many chronic health issues. Then they retire and naturally their health continues to get worse, because they are beyond the time where they can reverse the trend.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I have heard of similar studies. I think a lot of people work till the point where they develop many chronic health issues. Then they retire and naturally their health continues to get worse, because they are beyond the time where they can reverse the trend.
that has been what I have observed also. Although I did know a guy who the week after his retirement died when he rolled a tractor over. I know a couple of other stories like that, but mostly the people were sickly when they retired.

Also, Life is bad for your health, apparently.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep. Keep working for the man. "Work sets you free."

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
that has been what I have observed also. Although I did know a guy who the week after his retirement died when he rolled a tractor over. I know a couple of other stories like that, but mostly the people were sickly when they retired.

Also, Life is bad for your health, apparently.
A very similar thing happened to one of my co-workers at Megacorp. He was 57 years old and appeared to be in great physical conditon. He had "turned in his papers" and only had a couple of days left to work.

While working on his farm, his tractor got stuck in the mud, he had a heart attack and died while trying to get out of the mud.

Megacorp balked at paying severance (a year's salary) to his widow. I never heard how that turned out.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #7

Interesting to read the comments on that article. I'd say 95% of them are critical, saying it's "complete rubbish." Many of them say they are retired and have never been happier and healthier.

If you don't have many interests prior to retirement, and your whole life is wrapped up in your job, then I think it would be easy to slip into a rut where you just sat around and watched TV. Then you would probably waste away.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Somehow I don't think sitting on my rear for hours at a time in a windowless cubicle working 60 hours or more a week in my fifties or sixties would be healthier than having the days free to bike, hike and time to cook from scratch.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Somehow I don't think sitting on my rear for hours at a time in a windowless cubicle working 60 hours or more a week in my fifties or sixties would be healthier than having the days free to bike, hike and time to cook from scratch.
Obviously, you have joined the ranks of the dangerous radicals who populate this board!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1 I think retirement is immensely beneficial to the health of many/most of our forum members because we are actively involved in creating the kind of retirement that will be beneficial to us. We are used to visualizing a positive outcome, in this case a healthy retirement; identifying the steps that will result in that outcome; and ultimately seeing our plans through to fruition.

Like many here, I am far more physically active in retirement. In fact, I haven't been this active since high school, and that is so good for my health! Also the huge reduction in stress has to be good for me and I have lost some excess weight. I feel so much healthier than I did while working.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Exactly. I'm surprised these so-called studies don't seem to recognize this as well as the health benefits of lower stress.
ChocoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'll gladly allow all the folks who wish to maintain their health to do so in windowless cubicles or other happy w*rk places. By all means they should stick with being in the mushroom club.

I'll suffer through my endless playtime in retirement. All in order to prevent hapless individuals from wrecking their lives in unproductive endeavors without guidance and direction from some malevolent dictators at megacorp.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Beside the fact that the study seems to mix up cause and effect, it also depends on the job you are retiring from. Not all jobs are created equal. I suspect Navy Seals who retire early have a greater chance of living longer than when they were working and on dangerous assignments, as well as other high risk jobs like forest fire fighters. Also those of us who have or have had jobs require that we mostly sit in one place all day in front of a computer screen, which studies show can be dangerous in different ways.

Is Sitting a Lethal Activity?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...ng-t.html?_r=0
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

At least 3 good friends of mine over the years passed away within 1 year after retirement. In two of the cases - it was degraded health that forced them to retire when they did. W*rk was what they knew - they measured their self worth through their accomplishments at w*rk. All 3 had good lives outside of w*rk - kept busy etc., but they felt they needed the mental challenge they attained through their daily accomplishments.

They are one of the reasons I have pushed myself to be able to retire early...
Old 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
gone traveling

BBC News: Retirement is 'harmful to health'

I wonder what everyone thinks about this BBC News article out today (5/16/13). It makes the case (or tries to) that retirement is unhealthy. I myself find this very hard to believe:

Richard8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #16

Well, I learned what "tosh" means by reading some of the 1100+ comments.

Keep working slaves!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #17

Yep, those are the facts. Stay retired long enough and you'll die for sure.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #18

It's a plain fact. Stay retired long enough and you'll die for sure.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Well, I learned what "tosh" means by reading some of the 1100+ comments.

Keep working slaves!
Seems like some corporate think tank dreamed this up. Keep the gears manned and grinding, and tell them it's good for you.

"Tosh" baffled me too. Must be a Britishism.
Richard8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Retirement bad for your health? Huh? - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Great minds thinking alike--see above thread for more discussion