Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've not noticed any obvious face lifts around here. Plenty of dyed hair though. That seems to start a lot earlier than age 55 from what I've seen.
But I miss the blue haired grannies from my youth. I think perhaps I should go blue when old enough.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When you are too old for trips, clothes, affairs, sports cars...all that is left to spend your $$ on, is a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Aolder widows and couples. They buy the biggest fanciest most expensive houses - so much for downsizing as one ages.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
We did look at Windsor Hills (EDIT - WRONG, we looked at Windsor Lakes). We loved the community, but we decided against it for a few reasons. Actually, I'd say it was more of a prolonged argument/discussion.
  • Few three car garages. I do woodturning and I really need that extra space.
  • Small lots.
  • Location. It didn't feel like it's in a town, more like a subdivision on the highway.
Please, it's beautiful there. I don't want to be negative about your community. My wife is still bringing it up from time to time (usually when the neighbor kids are outside screaming). I'm not ready for it yet, maybe 10 years from now.
Windsor Lakes and Windsor Hills are two different communities. It's too bad you didn't look at the one we are in. Lots are bigger (most cases), but no three car garages, which you usually won't find in a 55 and over community. My garage is two car with a small area for a small workshop. Windsor Lakes is too close to the freeway for our liking also. Ours is tucked in against the WG Jones State Forest.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
When you are too old for trips, clothes, affairs, sports cars...all that is left to spend your $$ on, is a house.
And how old is that old? I'm over 70 and still spending on all that except big houses (never again) and affairs. Many of my neighbors are pretty active and older than me. Not all 55+ communities are full of people that can't live an active life.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Those gyms sound (and look) perfect! I'm intrigued - can anyone join, or do you have to have some kind of connection to the hospital, or be referred by a doctor on staff?

When I retire, I will be looking for a gym just like these, and there are several hospitals within a few miles of me. It has never occurred to me that they might be affiliated with a gym. I would love to find a gym such as you describe.
Sorry to take so long to answer! I got caught up in some real life leisure activities last night, oh well.

Anyway.... anyone can join my gym, but your doctor has to sign a permission slip. My doctor wants me to exercise and lose weight so he had no problem doing that. Also on the form they want you to say whether or not you have a number of health issues, including high BP which I have (although it is under control with medication). I lied and checked "no". I don't know what they would do if I hadn't and didn't want to find out.

Another great thing about this gym is that all the personal trainers and other employees have been highly trained at first aid and might even be EMT trained. When I passed out at the gym a couple of years ago (due to stupidly not cooling down after some vigorous cardio activity), within just a few seconds they were there doing all the right things, taking my BP and assessing my condition and so on. Being older I like this. With an older clientele such as they have, every now and then somebody has to be taken away by an ambulance and they deal with these situations very professionally.

Back when I was working, around 2000, I was looking for a gym and one of my co-workers said she was leaving this gym and going to another. Her reason was that people at this gym were old and fat, and didn't motivate her, and the gym with all the buff young guys was cheaper. As an old/fat person who is internally motivated and who isn't one bit interested in gym flirtations or flexing muscles at the opposite sex, her list of negatives sounded like big positives to me so I went there and joined.

I think this gym has been wonderful for me. It is huge, with two indoor Olympic sized pools, a big hottub, an indoor walking track, massage rooms, a steam room, lots of classes, and a huge weight lifting area with lots of cardio machines like treadmills and ellipticals at one end, and more. The only parts of it that I have used are the weight lifting area and the indoor track. It is located about a block from the hospital, surrounded by medical office buildings.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
Few three car garages. I do woodturning and I really need that extra space.

Small lots.
Same problem here. You need space and a bit of privacy to do woodworking. For us it's a compromise we'd have to make between our love of space and gardening vs. the convenience of other people taking care of stuff while we're in FL for the winter. Tempting, but can't pull the trigger yet. Too much sawdust yet to make.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

It all depends on the person, I guess. The poster seemed (maybe unintentionally) a little critical of older women who buy larger houses instead of downsizing, and I posed a possible reason.

As a general rule, I am against making any behavior "mandatory" or "forbidden" to older people just because of their age number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And how old is that old? I'm over 70 and still spending on all that except big houses (never again) and affairs. M.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #108
Gone but not forgotten

I think a lot of seniors have bigger houses for when the family visits .It is just not the DD anymore . It's the DD , SIL and grandchildren.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Those gyms sound (and look) perfect! I'm intrigued - can anyone join, or do you have to have some kind of connection to the hospital, or be referred by a doctor on staff?
No, anyone can join, although they did check with our doctor to make sure there was no reason we should not join. The guy I worked with said they've never had a doc say "no" to someone exercising. It's called a "Wellness Center" I guess because of the hospital affiliation. Like W2R's, the staff all has some degree of physical fitness training and I think basic first aid.

Not a bad idea to call the hospitals near you and ask - it seems to be becoming more popular with the emphasis on maintaining health rather that focusing only on the things that go wrong.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think a lot of seniors have bigger houses for when the family visits .It is just not the DD anymore . It's the DD , SIL and grandchildren.
That can be a double edged sword though. BIL did just that and when he retired, he bought a large 4,500 sq foot house with 4 bedrooms, pool, etc. Beautiful place and the kids did show up with the grandkids a few years in a row. Then the visits slowed to a crawl and the kids had other priorities, other in-laws to visit and wanted to stay home for the holidays.

Of course, all along BIL is paying a large property tax bill, high utility bills, etc. And now they seem to be spending more time visiting the kids where they live. So now its 20 years later and BIL and his DW have an albatross hanging over their head as they don't want to sell and are getting too old to move and downsize. Plus, all three children live thousands of miles away.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That can be a double edged sword though. BIL did just that and when he retired, he bought a large 4,500 sq foot house with 4 bedrooms, pool, etc. Beautiful place and the kids did show up with the grandkids a few years in a row. Then the visits slowed to a crawl and the kids had other priorities, other in-laws to visit and wanted to stay home for the holidays.

Of course, all along BIL is paying a large property tax bill, high utility bills, etc. And now they seem to be spending more time visiting the kids where they live. So now its 20 years later and BIL and his DW have an albatross hanging over their head as they don't want to sell and are getting too old to move and downsize. Plus, all three children live thousands of miles away.
I didn't even set up a guest bedroom in my new-to-me Dream House, and got rid of the guest bedroom furniture for good. This will mean a lot less work for me if/when they visit. I am getting older and would rather offer to pay for them to stay in a nearby hotel instead rather than knock myself out cleaning and cooking when it isn't necessary. My friends and relatives know that my intentions are good, and they would not be offended.

For me, I think this will work out fine. On the other hand, some people feel differently and they have every right to feel that way. I guess they feel like it is inhospitable to not offer a guest bedroom to their guests.

To me the whole concept of a guest bedroom is reminiscent of the days of covered wagons and Little House on the Prairie. I guess I just don't "get it" for the 21st century.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sorry to take so long to answer! I got caught up in some real life leisure activities last night, oh well.

Anyway.... anyone can join my gym, but your doctor has to sign a permission slip. My doctor wants me to exercise and lose weight so he had no problem doing that. Also on the form they want you to say whether or not you have a number of health issues, including high BP which I have (although it is under control with medication). I lied and checked "no". I don't know what they would do if I hadn't and didn't want to find out.

Another great thing about this gym is that all the personal trainers and other employees have been highly trained at first aid and might even be EMT trained. When I passed out at the gym a couple of years ago (due to stupidly not cooling down after some vigorous cardio activity), within just a few seconds they were there doing all the right things, taking my BP and assessing my condition and so on. Being older I like this. With an older clientele such as they have, every now and then somebody has to be taken away by an ambulance and they deal with these situations very professionally.

Back when I was working, around 2000, I was looking for a gym and one of my co-workers said she was leaving this gym and going to another. Her reason was that people at this gym were old and fat, and didn't motivate her, and the gym with all the buff young guys was cheaper. As an old/fat person who is internally motivated and who isn't one bit interested in gym flirtations or flexing muscles at the opposite sex, her list of negatives sounded like big positives to me so I went there and joined.

I think this gym has been wonderful for me. It is huge, with two indoor Olympic sized pools, a big hottub, an indoor walking track, massage rooms, a steam room, lots of classes, and a huge weight lifting area with lots of cardio machines like treadmills and ellipticals at one end, and more. The only parts of it that I have used are the weight lifting area and the indoor track. It is located about a block from the hospital, surrounded by medical office buildings.
No need to apologize! Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response. Your gym sounds absolutely perfect! And I agree - the "negatives" listed by the other person are all positives for me.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No, anyone can join, although they did check with our doctor to make sure there was no reason we should not join. The guy I worked with said they've never had a doc say "no" to someone exercising. It's called a "Wellness Center" I guess because of the hospital affiliation. Like W2R's, the staff all has some degree of physical fitness training and I think basic first aid.

Not a bad idea to call the hospitals near you and ask - it seems to be becoming more popular with the emphasis on maintaining health rather that focusing only on the things that go wrong.
It sounds great. I think I will call the hospitals to check and see if they have such a facility. All the gyms and the local YMCA are completely focused on, and overrun with, families. Nothing against families, but I am looking for a little more peace and quiet these days.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #114

Quote:
I didn't even set up a guest bedroom in my new-to-me Dream House, and got rid of the guest bedroom furniture for good. This will mean a lot less work for me if/when they visit. I am getting older and would rather offer to pay for them to stay in a nearby hotel instead rather than knock myself out cleaning and cooking when it isn't necessary. My friends and relatives know that my intentions are good, and they would not be offended.

For me, I think this will work out fine. On the other hand, some people feel differently and they have every right to feel that way. I guess they feel like it is inhospitable to not offer a guest bedroom to their guests.

To me the whole concept of a guest bedroom is reminiscent of the days of covered wagons and Little House on the Prairie. I guess I just don't "get it" for the 21st century.
+1
Everybody is happier, especially me. The guests get to see me, and I them. That's the point of the visit. Having a room that's not used 50 weeks or more each year is silly. It's logical and less stressful to pay for a room.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #115
Gone but not forgotten

I have to disagree about the spare bed room . It's nice to have a place for company even if it is a pull out couch . Some of my best memories are staying up late , sipping wine & talking with my daughter while the children sleep .I would also miss the closeness of lingering over breakfast while we made our plans for the day .I do agree with the cooking part but that is what take out is perfect for so no one is stressed about cooking .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I understand why some people would not want a larger house - plenty of good reasons, for them.

What I fail to understand is the level of scorn that I sometimes see directed against people who want spacious homes and presumably can afford to keep them up. I sense an almost Puritanical disapproval of ostentation. It is something I never observe when people mention spending tens of thousands on travel.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Ouch, Amethyst. You do make a good point there.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #118

Quote:
I am getting older and would rather offer to pay for them to stay in a nearby hotel instead rather than knock myself out cleaning and cooking when it isn't necessary. My friends and relatives know that my intentions are good, and they would not be offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have to disagree about the spare bed room . It's nice to have a place for company even if it is a pull out couch . Some of my best memories are staying up late , sipping wine & talking with my daughter while the children sleep .I would also miss the closeness of lingering over breakfast while we made our plans for the day .I do agree with the cooking part but that is what take out is perfect for so no one is stressed about cooking .
Bummer! These are two of the most intelligent comments on this topic I've read, and I fully agree with both of them.

The fact that they contradict each other just compounds my dilemma!

For the present, our "solution" has been to maintain a guest room but use it for other (hobby) purposes. When company is expected, we can easily clear out the hobby stuff and make it fairly nice for the guest(s).
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Bummer! These are two of the most intelligent comments on this topic I've read, and I fully agree with both of them.

The fact that they contradict each other just compounds my dilemma!

For the present, our "solution" has been to maintain a guest room but use it for other (hobby) purposes. When company is expected, we can easily clear out the hobby stuff and make it fairly nice for the guest(s).
Same here. We have a spare bedroom in our less than 2,000 square foot house and use it for miscellaneous stuff. When family visits, like last week when we had a special birthday celebration for DW, one visitor uses the bedroom. We had guests from California (3) and Wisconsin (1). The Ca folks stayed at a local hotel and the Wisconsinite (DW's younger sister) stayed with us.

It works and everyone had a great time.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #120
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It all depends on the person, I guess. The poster seemed (maybe unintentionally) a little critical of older women who buy larger houses instead of downsizing, and I posed a possible reason.

As a general rule, I am against making any behavior "mandatory" or "forbidden" to older people just because of their age number.
I was not being critical of older women buying large houses instead of downsizing. I stated older widows and (older) couples buy large homes here, and I was pointing out that this is somewhat contrary to what everyone thinks older people should be doing (downsizing) as they age. Our neighborhood is not seeing 55-65 year old people buying from current home owners, but rather a lot of older people. This was true even when they were new homes. This was a response to the comment about 55+ neighborhoods starting out with 55-65 year old buyers and fast forward 20 years and you have all 75-85 year old folks. Not true here - they were here all along and that age group is still the majority.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote