Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement countries?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Retirement countries?

Hi all,

Just over a month ago I made my first post here. A Great place for information I must say.

I was hoping that you fellow posters could list your top 3 or 5 retirement countries/cities and the reason you picked those places.

The reasons behind your pick is just as important as the place you pick.

I'll sit back and wait.

Thanks,

MMM

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Retirement countries?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ensenada, Mexico. Would not normally be my first choice. however, will still have one store remaining open in California, so because of proximity will allow me to drive there within about 6 hrs. Also, I would be able to easily get back to US for medical attention if anything serious were to happen. And last, area has good weather. (San Diego weather)

Would consider moving to other places if I am sucesseful in learning Spanish after I close my last store in CA.. A big IF. Other countries I might consider:
Ecuador
Uraguay
Argentina
Have not been to any of the above, so I reserve judgement until I go and see for myself.
I rule out all areas that have hot humid weather.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can get alot of information at internationalliving.com. I just purchased their magazine for $39 on the net for a year. Hope to learn something before I go anywhere again.
They rate Panama for the past 2 years as the best place for us Americans to live.
I can tell you that I plan to visit SE Asia, as well as, Central and South America, and may make Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, as my home base while I travel around there to all the various countries in SE Asia; my home base in Central America is Panama City, Panama; home base in South America is Buenos Aires, Argentina. These are subject to change should I find out better information on places to make home base, since nothing is set in stone when you travel, but these look the best, so far, to me. But, again, am open to changing my mind depending on the information I get.
Oh...and yes, pull this up for some really great information:
internationalliving.com 2006 Quality of Life Index

Orchidflower
Old 04-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower
I just purchased their magazine for $39 on the net for a year. Hope to learn something before I go anywhere again.
Is that a typo? I believe the price $49.

Quote:
may make Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, as my home base while I travel around there to all the various countries in SE Asia; my home base in Central America is Panama City, Panama; home base in South America is Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Good choice for home bases.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just wanted to add a good source of information. http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/

I find the information to be a great help.

MMM
Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #6

No, Sam, that is not a typo. I signed up yesterday, and the deal on the internet now is $10 off if you sign up. I took the deal...and they got my $39. I hope it is worth the investment.
I've done some homework on where to stay lately, and came to the conclusion that these were the 3 best places for me. Glad to have a second here saying I picked good choices...whew....did something right this weekend, anyway.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #7

Ensenada has an awesome climate. Just like San Diego, but probably a bit warmer being almost 100 miles further down the coast. Driving to the US on the toll roads is pretty easy, too. But the region has gringo prices, IMO.

But Mexico just about has to be in the top 3 for an American. Proximity can be a major issue and it is cheap and quick to go back and forth to the US. The people are very welcoming to Americans and most have some relatives living there. The language is easier to learn than any of the Asian languages. There are many other positive and negative factors, of course.

Kramer
Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is that a typo? I believe the price $49.
Depends on which flyer you get in the mail. They offered it to me for $89. :P

Back to the topic:

The first that come to mind...
Bellingham, WA Pretty good weather, sea, mountains, seafood, and I already live there.
Mazatlan, Mexico Cheap and I can find it. Seafood.
Tepic, Mexico Cheap, good weather and few gringos.
Merida, VZ Cheap, good climate, college town, beautiful setting.
Medoza, Argentina Cheap, good wine, good climate, nice town.
Arica, Chile ditto. Seafood
Gozo, Malta Inexpensive, English-speaking, great climate. Seafood
Guadalajara, MX Inexpensive, interesting city, great medical facilities.
etc, etc.---but you asked for only 5.

General criteria:
* nice people,
* good weather
* access to good medical care at reasonable prices
* interesting place to live
* close to sea or mountains or both.
* I can afford to live there.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
No, Sam, that is not a typo. I signed up yesterday, and the deal on the internet now is $10 off if you sign up. I took the deal...and they got my $39. I hope it is worth the investment.
I've done some homework on where to stay lately, and came to the conclusion that these were the 3 best places for me. Glad to have a second here saying I picked good choices...whew....did something right this weekend, anyway.
Is there more than one link? I just went to internationalliving.com, clicked on subscrible and it led me to this:

https://www.isecureonline.com/secure...LIAS=89159Auto

$49/year or $89 for 2 years.

I have been to Kuala Lumpur and like it a lot. Panama has always been a favorite place for expats and retirees because of the incentives. I don't know much about Argentina, but have heard good things.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Kuala Lumpur would be an excellent choice for you as your homebase in SE Asia. However, as one who has been there many times, the bargain airfares from KL are not quite as readily available as they are in Bangkok. Aside from that, it's a great city to live in for awhile. You might like to check out Kota Kinabalu (the highest moutain in SE Asia). They have some excellent deals from KL and from Singapore, where I live.

Cheers,
Rob

Old 04-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #11

I just rechecked, so here is the address:

www.isecureonline.com/Reports/IL/WILVH223/

Scroll alllll the way to the bottom where it says "Subscribe Now," which is a blue box, and you are off and running. It cost me $39 yesterday as signing up on the net gives you $10 off. Honest.

Orchidflower
Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #12

I only chose Kuala Lampur as Malaysia seems safer than Thailand; and I am an old babe, and feel I need to be somewhat safe since I will be traveling alone. Any opinions on other cities you feel would be good, please feel free. Nothing is carved in stone with me.
Plan to travel all over the other countries while I am SE Asia for awhile. How long? Don't know, but maybe 3-6 months.
After I travel to all the areas (Central and South America, SE Asia), if one of the areas is better for me to retire in--realize I will be looking always for business opportunities while traveling, also--I will stay. This is one time in my life that I am pretty responsibility free to do this. And I am surely open to suggestions.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just wanted to pass along a sight that I've come across.

www.Globalpropertyguide.com

Hope some of you find it useful.

MMM