Retirement date

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Just to recall: official retirement date was 31 Dec 2004.
I have sufficient funds/have started draining accounts, what was I saving it for.
Am deteriorating on same schedule as mother and her father; don't think it would have been possible physically/mentally to keep working to 65.

Just to recall: official retirement date was 31 Dec 2004.
I have sufficient funds/have started draining accounts, what was I saving it for.

That is terrific! I retired almost 5 years after you, on Nov 9, 2009. I, too, am fortunate to have sufficient funds to last for the duration.

Am deteriorating on same schedule as mother and her father; don't think it would have been possible physically/mentally to keep working to 65.

Believe me, I understand. It is hard for many older people to continue working. I am pretty sure I could not have worked until 65, either. Good thing I do not have to! You know that username I used to have, "Want2retire"? Well, it was understated. ;). I am SO GLAD to be retired. :D

Last edited:
Khan - Congratulations on an eight year retirement, and the sustained funds. I hope you can view both of these as significant accomplishments, because they are. Sounds like you were smart to get out when you did.

As always....I wish you well.

Last edited:
I could be completely out of line here and I hope that I am, but felt that I must say something. I understand that you are having some health issues, but I have been wondering if you are possibly suffering from depression also. If this is the case, then there are meds and counseling that could help you. A few of your posts have worried me. It concerns me, when you talk about draining funds. If this is something that you can truly afford and you are the one making the decision, fine. I sincerely hope that no one else is convincing you to drain your funds. You seem like such a generous person, but you need to make sure that you can take care of yourself. My parents died at 61 and 63 and I have to admit that every once in awhile, I compare that to my age which will be 60 in a few months. Whenever I do this, I then tell myself that I am in better shape than they were and that I can't think that way.

Congrats on 8 years of retirement. I hope that you have many many more!

I apologize in advance, if I am completely wrong, and I hope that I have not affended you.

Congratulations Khan. I too pulled the plug 8 years ago - tomorrow to be exact.

Back
Top Bottom