Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One more odd thread. it think it can be accurately stated that "for many people life will at times be unpleasant, and for some people life will often be unpleasant".

What a shocker!

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Whaddaya expect after thirty years?

IMDb Video: Grumpy Old Men
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Whaddaya expect after thirty years?

IMDb Video: Grumpy Old Men
Heck, I do not need 30 years. My wife has said that I had to be grumpy since I was a baby.

About getting tired of retirement, I dunno, it could be true. So, I am trying semi-retirement first to see if I can handle it. I may need a few more years of this to be sure that I can hack it.

I may get tired of RV after a while, then try to get into boating against my seasickness, or try skydiving against my acrophobia. It's no good, absolutely no good, if one goes to desperate measures to keep from getting bored. I hate it when that happens. I don't know if it will, but it could happen. No sarcasm intended.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know if it will, but it could happen. No sarcasm intended.
Don't worry, NW, we couldn't tell anyway.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Oh man...this is the funniest flippin' thread I've read in a long time...
Old 11-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

You don't have to have a grand plan to reinvent yourself you just have to take baby steps . I certainly did not plan on being a successful ebay seller it just evolved . First I was looking around my house to dejunk it and next I was clothing 30 & 40 year olds and really enjoying it . Sure it's not a lofty ambition but it meets my needs . It gives me pleasure and mad money to squander on my favorite grand son . I could have easily gotten a part time job in nursing but "Been there done that " it was time for something new . When I get bored with this I'll find something new and maybe loftier to conquer.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

bbbamI, I did not intend to be funny. OK, maybe just a little. But again, I was not sarcastic.

I think it may be difficult for me to give up w*rk completely. And don't tell me to do volunteering work. I prefer to donate money to charity as I have done, but not my time.

I want to w*rk for pay. The fact that people pay me for my work means a lot to me. I mean it! So, I could not empathize with Midpack's desire to start a new career. For me, that means starting from scratch, learning to do something that I am a novice in. And that means little pay, which reflects the fact that my new work is not as valuable as what I did. I would not be able to handle that!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
bbbamI, I did not intend to be funny. OK, maybe just a little. But again, I was not sarcastic.

I think it may be difficult for me to give up w*rk completely. And don't tell me to do volunteering work. I prefer to donate money to charity as I have done, but not my time.

I want to w*rk for pay. The fact that people pay me for my work means a lot to me. I mean it! So, I could not empathize with Midpack's desire to start a new career. For me, that means starting from scratch, learning to do something that I am a novice in. And that means little pay, which reflects the fact that my new work is not as valuable as what I did. I would not be able to handle that!
Oh now doncha know...I always take you seriously....

Mmmmm...I'm as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine when I know other folks are livin' their dream. Mmmm, hmmm..... Carry on...carry over...which ever way your passion leads you.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I had a varied, interesting and challenging career. After over 30 years of working, I got tired of many things - the commute, office politics, and travel (no fun when it's for work).

Monday morning meant up at 4:30am, on the Beltway by 6, traffic jams, work about 9 hours, errands on the way home, eat dinner, do some chores and collapse. Rinse and repeat Tuesday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday were nearly filled with chores. Just a few hours weekly to reflect, relax and contemplate life. There was no time to be concerned about the meaning of life.

Now I'm retired, I do have time to think more about my life. I'm free to question my choices and purpose more than when I was in the blur being a "career woman".

Then I realized I just missed the comfort of not having to think. I was like a machine on an assembly line producing stuff. Some of you may recall I had a more difficult time than many letting go. My own little "identity crisis". Almost went right back into the pit about 6 months after I early retired. It was pretty daunting to find myself responsible for my life instead of mindlessly running in the hamster wheel.

I still feel a need to be part of something bigger than myself and make a contribution. Yeah, and be busy - sometimes. That damn German work ethic is programmed in me. That's why I've done so much volunteer work. The difference is, now I have more control and more time to ponder my life. I believe Socrates had it right when he said:

An unexamined life is not worth living
Old 11-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Carry on...carry over...which ever way your passion leads you.
Now, people may think that I am an egomaniac... Maybe I am... But I think perhaps I simply have the need to feel that people need me. If not for my sunshine personality, then for my work. Whatever. If I were to disappear tomorrow, these people I do some work for would miss me.

Oh, and some people here in this forum would miss me too.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now, people may think that I am an egomaniac... Maybe I am... But I think perhaps I simply have the need to feel that people need me. If not for my sunshine personality, then for my work. Whatever. If I were to disappear tomorrow, these people I do some work for would miss me.

Oh, and some people here in this forum would miss me too.
Mmm...hmmm...I think most everyone wants to be needed. I am one of them....

....and yes you would be missed I'm sure by many...and I am one of them.

Ahhh...but right now my passion lies in having a frosty adult beverage; sitting on my patio and watching the clouds float by. After all today is my birthday... Mmmm...hmmm...too many candles to blow out, so I'll just pop a cherry in my mouth.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Presumably no one here disliked their job/career early on, if you did you have no one to blame but yourself.
Actually, I want to disagree with this sentence, even more than the rest of the OP. I personally never liked working, but I did like eating and having a place to live. I never wanted to work for anybody else, but I'm also not entrepreneurial. Working has always been just a method of paying the bills and financing my entertainment. I basically found the least offensive way of raking in the dough, and then worked toward FIRE, even long before I knew what it was.

That being said, I can't imagine EVER being happier working, all things being equal (health, financial security, etc). I may get bored on occasion, but it will never be as bad as it was during the working years. I can always make better use of my time than a boss could, even if it just means hanging out at Barnes and Noble and reading books for free.

So, look for someone else to justify your need to keep working, you won't find it here. JMO, of course, YMMV.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Presumably no one here disliked their job/career early on, if you did you have no one to blame but yourself.
At the time the Baltimore Light Rail was about to open, there were jobs to be had. about 35 in addition to internal transfers. There were 900 plus pre-selected applicants for grease monkey entry level tech positions. We spent four days interviewing all 900+ applicants. HRD was a little dim in their pre-qualifications. One reason I hold HRD types at the level below frog's a$$, and the mid/senior managers who should have nipped that stupid crap in the bud.

We ended up hiring at least 20 degreed engineers electronics and mechanical plus some techs with 25+years experience.....to be grease monkeys. Most left about two years later when the job market improved. I doubt they actually liked the j*b. Getting money to pay the rent/mortgage/etc. was the prime motivator.

As for retirement, heck no j*b is worth undoing it, I'd rather starve to death. And I do know hunger, not the kind that says is dinner ready, but the kind that says I'll eat a dead rodent, maggots and all.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ahhh...but right now my passion lies in having a frosty adult beverage; sitting on my patio and watching the clouds float by. After all today is my birthday... Mmmm...hmmm...too many candles to blow out, so I'll just pop a cherry in my mouth.
Bappy Hirthday bbbamI!!!

Old 11-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Jeez bbbami, robbing the cradle ?

On your birthday anything goes! Happy over 18.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the birthday wishes... Don't ya know I'm finding everything funny today....and a drop of booze helps.....

wooo hooo...closer to getting my social security checks...

Now...should I take them early...or later....hmmmm....

Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
At the time the Baltimore Light Rail was about to open, there were jobs to be had. about 35 in addition to internal transfers. There were 900 plus pre-selected applicants for grease monkey entry level tech positions. We spent four days interviewing all 900+ applicants. HRD was a little dim in their pre-qualifications. One reason I hold HRD types at the level below frog's a$$, and the mid/senior managers who should have nipped that stupid crap in the bud.

We ended up hiring at least 20 degreed engineers electronics and mechanical plus some techs with 25+years experience.....to be grease monkeys. Most left about two years later when the job market improved. I doubt they actually liked the j*b. Getting money to pay the rent/mortgage/etc. was the prime motivator.

As for retirement, heck no j*b is worth undoing it, I'd rather starve to death. And I do know hunger, not the kind that says is dinner ready, but the kind that says I'll eat a dead rodent, maggots and all.
Same here.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the birthday wishes... Don't ya know I'm finding everything funny today....and a drop of booze helps.....

wooo hooo...closer to getting my social security checks...

Now...should I take them early...or later....hmmmm....

Happy BDay there, young lady!

It just so happened we also went out to lunch today for my wife's late B-Day. We had to wait until today, so that my daughter who had been out-of-town could join us.

About that SS check, sorry my dear, but I am in line before you.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bappy Hirthday bbbamI!!!

Hey lady. I'm stilll 1 year YOUNGER. nyah nyah nyah nyah naaaa

Happy Birthday !

Can someone (besides bbbamI) post a birthday cake emoticon?

For now, this will w*rk. I'm kinda partial to the giraffes.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Happy birthday bbbamI!

Here's your special horoscope from today's Washington Post:

Today's Birthday: November 14th.

This year, your comfort zone undergoes a complete rezoning. You'll meet new people, learn skills and suddenly feel bold and ready to break out of old limitations. Your finances are favorably affected in November and December. Professions of love come your way in January. Aquarius and Aries people adore you.