Retirement House

We have a closing tomorrow on another house an hour away. Found out Friday that the roof's condition was not good, and $2500 repairs is just a band aid. The two real estate agents didn't disclose the report (with pictures) until Tuesday. They were going to let me close the purchase without full disclosure.

The sellers refused to file a comprehensive claim on hail damage. I'm not about to close on a house needing a $15K roof in another year or two.

I have a bunch of cash to wire transfer back to Ally Bank until we can come up with another house. What's so bad is this is the perfect house for our family and furniture--4000 sq. ft. with triple car garage.

There are other houses on the market, but our area's really hopping business wise..

What do you mean the agents did not disclose? Did you hire the inspector? They need to provide YOU with the report.

.....I'm not about to close on a house needing a $15K roof in another year or two. ....

What's so bad is this is the perfect house for our family and furniture--4000 sq. ft. with triple car garage. ...

There are other houses on the market, but our area's really hopping business wise..

.... Had this not been the perfect house for our family's needs, we might have walked on the deal. Now, I've got to do the final repairs to our current house and get it on the market.

Is it really worth $15k standing between you and your perfect house? Now that you've demonstrated that you're willing to walk, might the seller be more agreeable?

Maybe the listing and selling agents might be willing to take a reduced commission to your benefit to help the transaction close... a half a loaf is better than none!

A 15 thousand dollar roof on a 4000 sq-ft house sounds like a pretty cheap roof.

Not really thinking of moving away for my retirement. Maybe because I'm too scared for change but at the same time I think this is something I should do.

Not really thinking of moving away for my retirement. Maybe because I'm too scared for change but at the same time I think this is something I should do.
I get tired of being in one location too long. Ready to sell the condo and move overseas. Change helps keep me feeling young, and energized! New things, places, creatures, and people to see!

I have had more bad experiences with long term renters than short term. We have a vacation condo on a lake that we rent out using a management co so they handle everything I just cash the checks. When I do go there every other month for routine maint and insp if I find anything wrong the management co fixes it asap.

Plan on traveling when we retire and renting the condo out short term when not there. We can make just as much in 15 days of short term rents than in a whole month of long term rents which equals less wear and tear and less time for a bad tenant.

I get tired of being in one location too long. Ready to sell the condo and move overseas. Change helps keep me feeling young, and energized! New things, places, creatures, and people to see!

Having just moved for retirement, I agree with this 100%. The new place feels like we are on vacation all the time. New things to discover, new restaurants, new trails to hike, new friends, new, new, new. It’s very refreshing.

We have no plans of leaving our established farm in Northern Ohio, but may snowbird for a month, or two in the Winter down South somewhere. I'm not sure if we will re-locate our 32' camper, or rent a different AirB&B each year.

Having just moved for retirement, I agree with this 100%. The new place feels like we are on vacation all the time. New things to discover, new restaurants, new trails to hike, new friends, new, new, new. It’s very refreshing.

That’s what we decided to do also, but not quite so adventurous. We are moving from coastal So CA to Palm Springs, about 2 hours away. Far enough for new places, people and activities but close enough to old friends. 30-year friendships are hard to replace.

That’s what we decided to do also, but not quite so adventurous. We are moving from coastal So CA to Palm Springs, about 2 hours away. Far enough for new places, people and activities but close enough to old friends. 30-year friendships are hard to replace.

We see "old" friends probably now more than ever since they want to visit the new area too.

Is it really worth $15k standing between you and your perfect house? Now that you've demonstrated that you're willing to walk, might the seller be more agreeable?

Maybe the listing and selling agents might be willing to take a reduced commission to your benefit to help the transaction close... a half a loaf is better than none!

A 15 thousand dollar roof on a 4000 sq-ft house sounds like a pretty cheap roof.

I agree, on both the above. We just paid $7700 for a new roof on our 1900 sq. ft. house. Some companies would have charged twice that. I wouldn't blink at paying $15K a bit down the road, if everything else is perfect. It might be possible to delay it longer than a year or two, if there are no leaks or many missing shingles.

What's so bad is this is the perfect house for our family and furniture--4000 sq. ft. with triple car garage.

Aw!! I am so sorry that the deal is falling apart on the purchase of your perfect home. That's a pretty hard blow to take. :(

Here's how it has worked recently in our neighborhood.

Buy the home, then your insurance company will send out an inspector who will immediately demand you replace the roof to keep your insurance coverage.

Then you can sue the Realtor/previous owner for the cost. :)

We have a two houses in J'Ville Fl which we are renting out, one of which will become the retirement house when we move there from PA in 2 yrs and the other we will be sold. We have a management company overseeing the rentals and dealing with the renters. We have had both houses for about 5 yrs and the price has increased about 20% on each one. The houses are in the south side in Mandarin area about 30 mins to the beach.

Back
Top Bottom