Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

hmm...what would one do with all that butter...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lrg_butter_curn_washer.jpg (95.1 KB, 4 views)

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

make buddermilk

Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are looking forward to downsizing from 4K+ sq ft to about 1.8 to 2K sq ft. and would like a green/energy efficient abode on about 1 acre that doesn't require much yard maintenance. 3 bedroom with one bedroom serving as a library/den, 2.5 baths, great room, nice kitchen, screened in porch, unfinished basement or detached workshop, 2 car garage. A rural wooded spot near a college town, with good healthcare/shopping and a minor league baseball team would be nice; any suggestions on where to find such a place?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
We are looking forward to downsizing from 4K+ sq ft to about 1.8 to 2K sq ft. and would like a green/energy efficient abode on about 1 acre that doesn't require much yard maintenance. 3 bedroom with one bedroom serving as a library/den, 2.5 baths, great room, nice kitchen, screened in porch, unfinished basement or detached workshop, 2 car garage. A rural wooded spot near a college town, with good healthcare/shopping and a minor league baseball team would be nice; any suggestions on where to find such a place?
DFW,

Are you excluding the unfinished basement from your desired number of square feet? If not, you are not likely to find a house with all the rooms you list AND a basement with only 1.8 to 2K sq. ft. Our one level house is 1840 sq. ft. and has 2 bedrooms and an office, two full baths, family room, kitchen and living/dining room. The unfinished basements in homes similar to ours here are the same size as the upstairs, thus doubling the square footage. Your description doesn't sound much like downsizing. What does your present 4K sq ft house have that is not in your desired "downsized" house?

Grumpy
Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #25

optimal size = 500 sq. ft.

if i had the right guy to join me i'd be completely happy downsizing to a 42 x 12.5-foot boat. and if i don't find him within the next 5-10 years i just might do it anyway. so there.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #26

Grump, I don't consider unfinished basement, garage or screened in porch to be part of living space, and I don't think that most realty listings would either. Our current house is > 4k, but is actual living space built on a slab, with a game room over the garage (garage is not counted in sq ft); so we plan to reduce that by ~ 50% or more. When we moved to Texas in the early 90s, I had to sell off my woodworking equip due to lack of unfinished space, and now for the retirement phase would like to get back to making furniture as a hobby.

DFW
Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can sing the praises of a 1350 sq. ft. residence in a small city, with a two car garage I didn't include in the measurements (just living space) and a front porch.

Some days it feels like too much.

I enjoy that so much of what I need is not much of a walk. And when I want to head to the mountains I have a nice drive.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Current residence: 1250 sq ft. Vacation residence: 750 sq ft. Desirable size for ER: 1000 sq ft. plus patio and garage. Vacation residence is just right for short visits, but some more space would be necessary for a permanent residence.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #29

RE house is close to 1800 SF - 2BR, 2 Bath, with a combined greatroom/kitchen/dining room, small laundry room, 2 car garage and large deck. We spent a lot of time analyzing how much living space we really use. We use the house on weekends, but it feels really comfortable so far.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #30

I'm single, in a 972 square foot, 3 br/1 bath house with a detached garage. It's plenty of space, except when I have company, but it's not especially well configured for me. I've been looking at townhouses for retirement and find two bedroom, two bath layouts in around 1000-1200 square feet that I think would be really comfortable.

I really consider a second bathroom almost a necessity (amazing, since I grew up in a family of 6 who managed just fine with one). And I wonder if I should give up the second bedroom idea and just rent motel rooms for the company.

Coach
Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #31

My ideal retirement house would likely be an ranch about 1800 sq. ft. not counting a full unfinished basement for storage. House would have a 3 car attached garage for hobby car and storage. A large screened in back porch with afternoon shade overlooking a nice view would be great. A large wooded lot that could be natural timber with only minimal yard maintenance and landscaping closer to the house. Configuration would likely be large eat in kitchen, great room, 3 bedrooms, one of which would be the guest room, one of which would be an exercise/office, and the last would be a Large master with huge walk-in closet. Of course at least one hall bath and a large master bath. A separate front entry and a big mud room/laundry room between the house and garage. I guess while I am dreaming I might as well make it energy efficient and the exterior as maintenance free as possible.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hey thats my old house, and its for sale!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I wonder if I should give up the second bedroom idea and just rent motel rooms for the company.
Coach
Why pay to furninsh, decorate heat, cool and pay tax on space that might be used less than 5% of the time? How often do your friends/relatives visit? Really? Use the spare room for something you will do regularly, be it a home gyn, woodworking, home theatre, library, ping pong, or whatever.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #34

My ideal home would be 3 bedroom 2 and 1/2 bath. Major porch space and a detached garage/workshop on 1 acre minimum. I want a LARGE corner kitchen (think 6 burner gas stove and Sub Zero Ref/freezer combo) with an island with seating for 6 and an outdoor kichen as well depending on the climate/location. Anticipated sq footage would be 2200 to 2600. I will have to build or do a major remodel to get my kitchen. What I want is usually not an option till you hit the 4000 sq ft McMansions.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Connie,
If you find that house ,see if there are two of them .That sounds like my dream house .