Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirement locations?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #21

Hello Ray! Well, it was the last time I saw it!

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2004, 10:15 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Well now, John, you haven't seen Pittsburgh in over 30 years. The steel mills are long gone, the air quality is excellent and the city is beautiful. Watch a Pirate or Steeler game sometime and you'll see what I mean when the cameras pan the city.
Ray

Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #23

It's true I have not seen Pittsburgh in a long time.
I have a bias against big cities in general, and northern
big cities in particular. People sometimes say to me
"Isn't it nice to live so near Chicago?" What nice?
The only plus I see is it makes my property worth more
as the urban tide heads my way. I NEVER go into Chicago and have no desire to do so. Some smaller
northern cities I can tolerate. Milwaukee for example.

John Galt
Old 04-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Some smaller
northern cities I can tolerate. * Milwaukee for example.
Milwaukee. Really? That was one of the most depressing cities I've been in and that includes third world countries. Now, I was there over 15 years ago so perhaps it has changed. At that time it was dirty, dangerous (bars over most windows), and ugly. If I was to chose a US city to retire in (and I won't be) then there are plenty of others that would come before it.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #25

Just to set the record straight, I am not a big
booster for MIlwaukee. I said I could tolerate it.
I'm just not a "city guy". In the past, I used to tell
people "You can't get too far out to suit me!"
Still pretty true. I like good weather, attractive surroundings, good company and "semi--upscale"
ambiance, as long as it can be found outside of
the city limits.

John Galt
Old 04-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably Stillwater, OK - college town with sports and theatre, 1 hour to Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Two lakes within 20 minutes of my mobile home. Low crime, decent bars. The used mobile home, land, car, and kid's college all pays off in 5 years, so costs should start to fall.

I joke, but its true, my retirement home is next door - its my father-in-laws new mobile home. Unfortunately according to an online life expectancy calculator, he should live to 106. He's 80 now and in perfect health, so I may have to work until 70 just to outwait him.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Probably Stillwater, OK -
I joke, but its true, my retirement home is next door - its my father-in-laws new mobile home. Unfortunately according to an online life expectancy calculator, he should live to 106. He's 80 now and in perfect health, so I may have to work until 70 just to outwait him.
The only problem I see is that in OK mobile homes act as Tornado magnets. You'll be lucky if it is still around when you retire.
Laura
Old 04-15-2004, 10:30 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

john galt

John,
take a tour of Pittsburgh.
http://www.virtourist.com/america/pittsburgh/index.html
Old 04-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #29

The msn list is somewhat misleading. For example, Santa Barbara has little in common with Santa Maria or Lompoc, except they're all in Santa Barbara County. Median housing costs are around a million in SB; $2 to 300 K in SM or L. SB is on the coast and the climate is mild; SM is inland and the climate more exreme. SB is a tourist center; SM and L are not.

Same with San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles. SLO is a college town that gets some distant off-shore breeze; PR is shielded by mountains and gets hotter than hell. It's a short drive from SLO to Pismo Beach.

Bottom line: msn seems to lump apples and oranges

db