Retirement locations-- "Measuring Beauty"

Hey Eagle,

I didn't mean to imply that Atwater coined the term "taxachusetts," merely that he pushed it into the national lexicon.  Prior to that, it was pretty much a vestigial local expression harking from the truly high tax '70's era.  As a former resident of Maine, I much prefer the term that every Mainer would mutter under their breath when dealing yet another ambassador from the south during the annual summer tourist onslaught: "Masshole!"

tozz

Eagle43 said:
I remember Lee Atwater being one mean political activist, but thought the term Taxachussets preceded him.  Dunno, but if you say he coined the phrase I'll take your word for it. 

Cut-Throat said:
The coldest I ever slept outside in was 10 below zero. :crazy: I now 'camp out' in Hiltons.  - I have recently camped out in the Kodiak National Wildlife refuge in Alaska in October for Steelhead Fishing (The only fish I'll camp out for).

I camped out on the 4th of July back in the 80's at Roosevelt Nat'l Forest in Colorado and froze my behind off. It was probably only in the 30's but I couldn't wait for the sun to come up. I can't imagine sleeping outside in sub zero temps. Of course I'm an old softy from Mississippi so what can you expect.  8)

JB said:
Ironically it was the STATE wackos who prosecuted a citizen who covered the motto on their license plate! I think the case went all the way to the supreme court who ruled in favor of the defendant.
Hey, isn't there an irony here? State Motto is "Live Free or Die". The guy says, ok state, I'll take you at your word. I don't like your stupid motto, so since I'm free, I'm gonna cover it up on my license plate. State says No. You can't be THAT free!

I guess he could have died, though. That would have been alright. :D

Cut-Throat said:
BTW - Did you get an Elk?
Not on this trip. The closest we ever got was way across a canyon we saw a lone bull. Too far away and we were not able to sneak up on him. It was hard going in heavy snow.

I did succeed on 2 other occcasions, both in the rain forest on the Olympic Peninsula. Tough country, but not as heavily hunted at that time anyway.

Mikey

I prefer a warm bed to a sleeping bag and tent, but I still camp out in sub-freezing temperatures if I have to to get to where I'm going. A lot of the archaeology projects I work on are located in very remote areas and you just can't get to them and get anything done in a day trip. If you have several week's worth of work to do, you pretty much have to hike in and camp. Last weekend I camped up in the mountains not far from Ridgecrest, CA. We were at about 6000 feet elevation. I don't know how cold it got, but there was ice in my tin cup I left outside the tent when I got up in the morning. Saturday I leave for a week-long project in Santa Fe National Forest at about 7000 feet. We'll camp out and it will be cold (near freezing or below). If we wait till later in the year to work in these areas, it will be too hot during the day to get much done.

But I will avoid camping if it gets down to sub-zero. I would rather go home and try again when the weather's better. :D :D

Big wussy here

Headed for the ski lodge if the top of the lift got to zero or below. Snow camped a little in Boy Scouts - Mt Saint Helens and unplanned cold at high elevations in spring/summer Colorado backpacking.

Was only hunted by Elk once in August. Working a summer in the woods laying out logging roads - accidentily walked out of the woods onto a Bull Elk/assembling his harem. Armed with only an small hachet - decided to let 'him' play hunter. Humans run real good thru St Helens undergrowth in contrast with an Elk encumbered by Large antlers.

Getting back to the topic... you guys should consider Canada - I know you Americans are thinking why would I do that? High taxes, freekin cold, yadda yadda but consider this (and I know because I've lived both in the US and Canada):
- If you're income is lower than around $70K ish taxes are more favorable when you factor in tax credits, and especially when you consider that you get access to our national healthcare system (no more $10k + in premiums per year)
- The west coast - Vancouver, Vancouver Island etc is stunningly beautiful with good weather most of the year, ocean, mountains etc
- We know how to save here and living frugally is very Canadian eh... you wont feel out of place with an ER lifestyle
- You guys have major deficit/debt problems and we have a surplus
- You are still close to 'home'

JoJo

I was born in Vancouver - Washington that is.

If we ever got 'blown out of the swamp' - West coast of Canada would be on the list.

Be like old home week.

My #2 son lives in Vancouver JoJo. He loves it! :)

The Zipper homestead is in South Western Ontario.

And yes, health care rates about an 8 or 9 out of 10.  ;)

I love Vancouver. It is pretty and have a lot of great Chinese restaurants. Can Americans retire at Canada?

Spanky

Back
Top Bottom