Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Joining Mensa is not on my bucket list!

Great... life advice from a former hedge fund manager that stopped and wrote a book.

Probably funded by some group of employers... Wooork,,,, WoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOrk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This one is a real jewel:

Economist Todd Buchholz in his book "Rush," says retirement makes you stupid. "When people retire early they lose IQ points."
This guy proves you don't have to be retired to be stupid.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Here's a link to one of the references regarding ER and mental health. The article claims that brain function decline is not inevitable given mental use.

Mental Retirement

Note- I should tread a little easier on some of you now. That is now that I know that you are and have been impaired - I'll try to be more supportive of your condition.
From the article cited above:

Quote:
the prospect of early retirement may bring about a decreased level of mental exercise while still on the job. Since the human capital production function requires a person to combine cognitive ability, stock of knowledge and effort to produce additional human capital, mental exercise tends to be an increasing function of the volume of investment. For workers late in their careers, the value of continuing to build work-related human capital is very sensitive to the length of the remaining working life. For example, a 50-year-old worker in the United States who expects to work until 65 has a much greater incentive to continue investing in human capital than does a worker in Italy who expects to retire at 57. Thus, we hypothesize that differences in retirement incentives across countries create a reduction in mental exercise at work that may begin well before actual retirement. We call this the “on-the-job” retirement effect.
So even thinking about and planning for early retirement affects our mental capacity. By extension, even for those of us still working, spending time surfing the ER forum makes us less engaged and stupider.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do think there is something to using your brain----but I don't know that even the highest paying, most prestigious jobs are constantly requiring new learning. I thought the required continuing ed courses weren't the least bit challenging intellectually---just eight hours of boredom a day to maintain my license.

I'm still learning new stuff in ER. Today at the gym was a special type of kick boxing class. With all the Meetups I do, I am learning new names and interacting with a variety of people. Am learning Japanese style mah jong. On Saturday I will attempt to learn Korean. Lots of reading. Independent and foreign movies. And of course, this site never fails with new info daily...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #25

The level of Stupid I want to discover = gloss over the b s from megacrap.

I would pay $$ to be a few points lower on the IQ scale or stupid scale as it would help me tolerate some of the day-to-day nonsense at w*rk!

But that's just me.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I suppose some will undoubtedly have IQ to spare. However the average among us may need to cling to all the points we have been issued.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Joining Mensa is not on my bucket list!

Great... life advice from a former hedge fund manager that stopped and wrote a book.

Probably funded by some group of employers... Wooork,,,, WoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOrk
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #28

I guarantee I'm receive a lot more mental stimulation now than I did at work. Stress IS good for, till you stoke out.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #29

For me, resurrecting some old hobbies and finding new variations of new ones (i.e. volunteer work) has been far more mentally stimulating than nearly all if not all of the stuff I did at work in the last 7 years I worked. Some of these new activities were simply applying the various skills I learned while working in new ways I liked a whole lot more. That and eliminating all the garbage time at work, especially the mindless and annoying commute, are the big benefits of ER.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I can buy the idea that retirees shed a few IQ points. I have never been so smart as when I was working an analytical job that felt like I was applying a blowtorch to both ends of the candle. But a concentration on IQ score misses the point. Dude is an economist: whatever happened to maximizing individual utility?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #31

I dunnow, I ferget all that stuff I did when I was working.

But I'm thoroughly enjoying learning new stuff about photography, composition, lighting, color spaces, gamuts and the like. I find I notice the color of light, highlights, shadows, and contrast in everyday life much more than I used to.

I did a simple portrait of DW yesterday, and with Photoshop Elements took about 20 years off and she said "Gee, I wish I really did look like that". I told her she does, to me. It made her smile.

She won't let me post the "before" and "after" photos though.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"When people retire early they lose IQ points."
No, actually I invested them in a deferred account for use later when I may need them.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I was stuck in a bureacracy doing the same old same old, mostly in "hurry up and wait" mode. Everything was so confined and predictable. Talk about brain-drain!

In FIRE, I am finding my brain is more challenged by the variety of projects and activites that I plan and accomplish, with no interference from the cluster flies , and can actually see results in short order.

Sometimes I get lazy and do mindless things with no productive purpose, but you know what? It is MY choice to do so.
They promoted me from programmer to 'team lead'; felt IQ dropping after that.

Have more mental stimulation watching the squirrels.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think there is no doubt, if your job was intellectually demanding, you are smarter when you were doing it than when you are sleeping late and trying to decide what to have for dinner, or whether to waste time in Lowe's or Home Depot.

IMO it's similar to physical conditioning. Are you in better shape when a coach and the spur of competition has you spending hours every day knocking yourself out, or when you go off to gym a few times a week for some self-paced exercise?

Ha
Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Too young to retire?...
How about... I'm too wise not to.

I am runnig into all 3 types of reactions mentioned above.
People can have such small/defensive minds sometimes.
I hope they can manage to grow out of it.
We should send em all a copy of Bob Clyatts book.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Yeah, well I'd rather be stupid than have a heart attack or stroke working.
Amen to that. My doc just took me off my blood pressure meds. Have to be retested in 3 weeks but have been checking myself at CVS and it looks like I will be off them.

Why? Less stress - plus time to exercise and eat right and lost 22 pounds.

I play duplicate bridge to stay sharp. Even if that doesn't work I'd trade a few IQ points for no heart attack any time.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
We should send em all a copy of Bob Clyatts book.
I've done that, but the teacher can't get started until the student settles down and gets ready to learn.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I have seen both types of retiree - those who choose to vege out in front of the TV all day and others who remain mentally and physically fit through a variety of actions. My belief is that the latter are far better off in the long run than the former. I know one guy who who sleeps until 11 every day, takes a nap in the afternoon and spends the remainder of the day channel surfing - he has definitely been losing brain cells.

I'm trying, for at least a few months (since March), to meld retirement and work by consulting primarily from home. Very little real stress (other than the occasional deadline) and the ability to take long breaks to go on walks, read, etc. Also taking a lot of short, several day trips when I can. Probably have to give it up by the end of the year, as the reward for doing a decent job seems to always be more work to do. And, believe it or not, clients actually get upset when you tell them you don't want to do more for them . I think they are missing the point that they need me a lot more than I need them.

As someone once said "Moderation in all things, including moderation."
Old 05-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But I'm thoroughly enjoying learning new stuff about photography, composition, lighting, color spaces, gamuts and the like. I find I notice the color of light, highlights, shadows, and contrast in everyday life much more than I used to.

I did a simple portrait of DW yesterday, and with Photoshop Elements took about 20 years off and she said "Gee, I wish I really did look like that". I told her she does, to me. It made her smile.
It's great fun learning about photography isn't it - and very rewarding when you make pictures that people love. I never quite got the hang of making people look their best in pictures, but occasionally would get lucky. It was very gratifying to give friends and loved ones pictures of themselves that they absolutely loved.

Regarding the world of color spaces and gamuts, I went as far as to calibrate my monitor and have a custom profile made for my printer so that the colors on the final print would exactly match what I was seeing on my monitor.

It's all a lot of work, but much fun learning and hey - you gotta do something between the time you wake up and the time you go to bed
Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #40

Working threatened to make me stupid. I think it was the level of stupid in the environment.