Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement may be hazardous to your health
Old 02-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement may be hazardous to your health

Back story: I haven't been to a doctor in more years than I can count. I never get sick. I haven't even had a flu shot in 25 years.

So I retired on Jan 23rd. My mother in law came into town for our retirement party and she had a stomach bug. On Jan 26th I woke up running at both ends. On Jan 27th we left for 5 days in Cancun. So I was sick for the first day or two of vacation. The bug is gone but for some I was left with never ending indigestion.

On Feb 6th I was bringing a heavy box of floor tiles down from the attic and tweaked something in my back. I laid the tiles a day or two after that and my back started killing me. On Feb 8th my back was so bad I slept in my car because I couldn't lay down and the car seat reclined to a comfortable spot.

Yesterday, Feb 10th, I cancelled our 4 day trip to Vegas that wouldve started on Feb 12th and I went to the doctor (I hate going to the doctor so that should be an indication how much pain I was in). I have 2 inflamed discs that are pressing on my Sciatic nerve. The good news is a steroid pack, some pain killers and muscle relaxers have me feeling better and the doc says I should be back close to normal in a few days.

So after not having taken any medication for many years, in the past few days Ive taken, Prevacid, Steroids, Hydrocodone, Tramadol, Cyclobenzaprine, anti nausea meds and exlax for constipation caused by the pain killers.

Nobody told me retirement would be hazardous to my health!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gah! If the above happened to me, I would apply for another job pronto.

Early retirement is obviously not for everyone. So, you try it, and if it does not work, well, you'll just have to go back to the old way.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be careful with the pain killer. That stuff is addictive. Hope you get better soon and lay off the tile work.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

Growing old is not for the faint of heart.

The alternative is worse though.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

C'mon admit it the Patriots Superbowl win must have stressed you out and caused most of your health issues..........

Hope you feel better.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Back pain and sciatica are no fun. I hope you are on the road to recovery now.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Back pain and sciatica are no fun. I hope you are on the road to recovery now.
+ 1
No fun at all. Hope you're well soon.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #8

Utrecht it is obvious from your post that you were too busy working to pay attention to your body, and were well isolated from the in-laws.

Get well and keep it that way. Can't have you going around giving bad name to retirement.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Back pain is no fun. I spend a couple days each year in bed when it strikes. It comes with no notice, like when reaching for a box of cereal or bending over to pet the dog. It's the result of compressed discs in the back and neck from abuse during the working years. I just have to ride it out and the whole process takes about a week from onset, to bed, to limited exercise, to return to normalcy. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I broke my wrist at the gym. Obviously, exercise is hazardous to one's health, especially combined with retirement! Hope you feel better soon.

Amethyst
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Administrator

Retirement may indeed be hazardous, but I'm willing to risk it.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Nobody told me retirement would be hazardous to my health!
This is a perfect example of "Correlation is not causation".
Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had more aches and pains (and used more bandaids) since I ERd, primarily because I replaced a lot of desk-sitting with manual labor including a lot of heavy lifting, using power tools, etc. But the improvements in my mental state far outweigh any of the negatives.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I hear you....though in my case my prep for ER is the hazard as I try to get things done while still on the nice HC plan I have now and not the one I will have that will cost me money OOP.

So this year I have had my knee surgery already, next week a crown to be done (I am more anxious about this than the knee surgery ) and need to get a full physical ...who knows what that would turn up...

But it's kind of like getting your car checked out before a long trip...you don't want to have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #15
gone traveling

Logic is a wonderful thing. False logic can even be fun.

George wears a hat. George is a man. Therefore all men wear hats.

Early retirees are obviously goal oriented. They achieve their goals. From birth, we are all on the way to death. Some simply reach that goal sooner or later than others.

Therefore, we could say that early retirees are more likely to achieve the end of life sooner than those with less ambition and drive to achieve. Therefore early retirement may indeed be hazardous to your health.

How does that sound?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I've had more aches and pains (and used more bandaids) since I ERd, primarily because I replaced a lot of desk-sitting with manual labor including a lot of heavy lifting, using power tools, etc. But the improvements in my mental state far outweigh any of the negatives.
Ditto...I am in better physical shape at age 56.5 than I was at age 48 when I FIREd in 2007.
My doctor told me I looked 10 years younger when he saw me a few months after FIRE. He actually asked me if I had gone for a facelift without telling him.

I was also a desk jockey in front of the computer non-stop except when I got to w*rk standing up in the R&D laboratory. I had classic RSI (repetitive strain injury) from my fingertips to the middle of my back. Chronic aching pain.

Post FIRE...Substitute heavy lifting for medium level manual labor for me (female) and we are in the same boat. I prefer this FIRE boat to the mental stress plus RSI issues that I knew would never improve in the j*b.

My eating habits are much improved and I exercise in my living room when I want to, not when the j*b schedule permitted.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Actually sitting for 8 hours a day actually may be more hazardous, unless you follow The Onion's advice on stand up desks, that is "standing up, walking out the door, and never coming back to their place of work again."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I developed a nasty case of plantar fasciitis because I walk and hike so much more. I naturally blame early retirement. Sitting at a desk 8 hours a day would have been safer!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although I'm nursing a bad case of plantar fasciitis and a nasty flu right now, I've been healthier since leaving the office. Little contact with sick people keeps the virus and bacterial infections at bay. Mega-corp had way to many people proud that they never missed a day in 40 years, no matter how many coworkers they infected.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I developed a nasty case of plantar fasciitis because I walk and hike so much more. I naturally blame early retirement. Sitting at a desk 8 hours a day would have been safer!
I got carpal tunnel from playing too many video games. Just kidding, but I might be at risk...

And hanging out on the back deck in my hammock or on a tropical beach with the occasional sun ray hitting me will probably give me skin cancer.

Guess I better go back to the soft, gentle buzz and glow of the fluorescent tubes in the office. No one ever got melanoma from those.