Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd frame it just the opposite, not deal killers (who would contemplate work that simply meets their LCD barriers?), but an opportunity that was just too good to pass up.

If something came along that I was convinced would be more satisfying than retirement, why not while I am still able? However, that's highly unlikely, for me it would probably be getting paid to sail...not going to happen, on my terms. Getting paid to travel might be appealing too, but I don't have any credentials, so not holding my breath.

And there are several volunteer opportunities I am involved in, and others I'd consider (animal shelters/rights).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
However, that's highly unlikely, for me it would probably be getting paid to sail...not going to happen, on my terms.
As soon as I find an employer willing to send me to interesting places (Business Class, please!) and write/blog about it, I'm in.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reading over this thread has made me realize how lucky I've been.

After retiring with two young boys 15 years ago, was a bit concerned if I was estimating things to close and sought seasonal jobs. For the past eight years, I've worked for a CPA firm where they treat me more like an independent contractor even though I'm an hourly seasonal employee. I think they know that I no longer really need the job so the hassle factors are minimal. Haven't even had a performance review yet, maybe because I don't work for anyone specific (though ultimately work for the managing partner). It's a win-win situation as I help in the busy season, I'm accurate, don't expect or want anything after April 18, I and they know my skill limits. I call my own hours but I'm very aware that I need to be of value to them when they need it. They recently merged with a nationwide firm but local folks have been great about keeping corporate policies from applying to me to a minimum. Never in strict compliance even with the dress code (they don't define my khakis or cords as "dress trousers"

My wife says she's never seen such an arrangement. I'll assume when they ask for the keys to the building that I'm done.

Current plans are to continue until 70 ( in 5 years) when RMD may kick work income into the 25% tax bracket and the boys will be close to finishing college, it'll be no longer worth it and DW and I can start a more typical "retirement".
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #24

I'd review surf camps around the world a couple of times a year for the right compensation. I'd even go back to this place in Nicaragua if I had to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0723.jpg (333.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
As soon as I find an employer willing to send me to interesting places (Business Class, please!) and write/blog about it, I'm in.
Almost 8 years ago, when MegaCorp was looking to reduce their product development staff by 30%, I was offered a nice severence package which I accepted. Less than a year later, they contacted me and asked if I would consider returning. As the job involved tons of travel to help resolve problems at supplier production sites, I said only if they could assure me visits to suppliers located in wonderful vacation spots (= non exist, btw).

I think they got the message.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
As the job involved tons of travel to help resolve problems at supplier production sites, I said only if they could assure me visits to suppliers located in wonderful vacation spots (= non exist, btw).
DH loves to tell the story of a friend who worked in the oil business; he was sent to the Middle East in Business Class on an emergency because some plant had shut down. He arrived at the plant, said, "Darn it, I told you never to touch that switch!", flipped the "Standby" switch off, and everything started up again. Then he went home.

I agree- not the kind of travel we have in mind.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have to say I'm surprised at some of the reactions to my original post. Hey, I'm one of us! There's no judgment here.

To me, ER is all about freedom and flexibility, so there's no wrong answer. You can enjoy leisure activities or take on a new part-time assignment of some sort (low-stress versions are rare, I realize) -- or anything in between. And the "right" answer for you might change from one year to another.

I've come to realize, only three months in, that retiring early really does change one's ideas about what's important to oneself on a daily basis, and that's what triggered this post.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

What is confusing is you talking about "assignments" versus leisure activities. No one ever said retirement was restricted to leisure activities only, although I notice people sometimes make that very assumption. And work is an assignment that someone else gives you and pays you for, but that doesn't mean that you can't assign yourself something to do while retired, regardless of whether there is a financial compensation involved.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes, this! If they'll send DH & me business class to places I want to go anyway, in exchange for a travel article - I'd definitely consider it.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

+1 What Larry G said.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No one ever said retirement was restricted to leisure activities only, although I notice people sometimes make that very assumption.
I've been there. In fact, I've spun this off into another thread...

What do most people get wrong about ER? - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
I've heard that the longer one has been retired, the harder it is to give up certain aspects of retired life when opportunities (such as part-time work or volunteer assignments) are offered.

Only three months into ER, I'm already seeing the truth of this, and I've started to compile my deal killers related to new opportunities. At the top of my list would be having to start the day early (sleeping in has become too important) and managing other people.

What are your deal killers? What aspects of ER would you never give up?
Working for someone I don't really like is the number one item. Also, need to have a really flexible schedule, including two week vacations if necessary. Nothing longer than a six month assignment. No management responsibilities, just being a worker bee. Good pay.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #33

OK, I'm one of the crazy ones who likes to work in Retirement. About a year and a half into RE (Retired at 55) I went and got my Real Estate license. I have a closing tomorrow for my ninth sale this year.
I can work as much or as little as I want and my office is in my house.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
OK, I'm one of the crazy ones who likes to work in Retirement. About a year and a half into RE (Retired at 55) I went and got my Real Estate license. I have a closing tomorrow for my ninth sale this year.
I can work as much or as little as I want and my office is in my house.
Good for you. I would probably be horrible at that kind of career and fail miserably, but I have thought about doing something similar just to try something totally new and out of my comfort zone.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #35

In preparaion for ER, I'd gotten a real estate license. Trying to sell real estate in one of the worst-hit regions of the country during the period of the major real estate market downturn of 07-09 was not much fun. For me, the ongoing costs of simply being in the business (errors & omissions insurance, access to MLS, con ed classes, etc.) were comparatively high for just a 'hobby' business.

And that was when I learned the oft-stated realtor phrase "Buyers are liars, and sellers are worse".

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
What Money Magazine says...
Old 12-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

What Money Magazine says...

This months money magazine mentions that 89% of retirees plan to work part time upon retirement. It goes on to say that only 21% do any part time work upon retirement. This matches up with my experiences....

I am 9 months into ER and was contacted last week to do a 3 month contract. Sounded interesting, went for the interview, got the offer and .... turned it down. I wanted to spend the winter down south, and didn't want to sacrifice that. Might have done it as a remote gig, but , naw, would have turned that down.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
I am 9 months into ER and was contacted last week to do a 3 month contract. Sounded interesting, went for the interview, got the offer and .... turned it down. I wanted to spend the winter down south, and didn't want to sacrifice that. Might have done it as a remote gig, but , naw, would have turned that down.
+1

Once you have been retired for a while you figure out w*rking is highly overrated.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Once you have been retired for a while you figure out w*rking is highly overrated.
I'm in razztazz's camp. If somebody offered me $5 million for a day's pay I'd probably take it, but then they'd figure out I have what we used to call an "attitude problem".

I might take a gig as a Playboy photographer for a week or three but have noticed they haven't been calling lately either.

So I'll continue to just sleep late and take up space.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I think our forum member Khan said something along the lines of, "I'd rather sell a kidney!", didn't she? Honestly I couldn't agree more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #40

I still have to get kids to school, and made a choice to take an 8am Italian class a few mornings a week - so the sleeping in thing hasn't happened for me.

That said - no boss, no work travel, no BS power point presentations, no meetings, no performance reviews. All very big reasons why I'd really hate going back to work.