Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
Two years into retirement I was approached to do a temporary, on site consulting assignment at the HQ of a national restaurant chain. It was basically going back to work on a full time basis for what turned out to be about 9 months. The location was interesting to me, they put me up in a nice condo complex with a nice car, paid for me to fly home once a month, and they paid me well. So basically they checked all of my boxes.

Still, it was a tough decision for me to take the assignment since I was enjoying retirement, but I figured I had nothing to lose so why not. It was a good experience, but I was glad when it was over, and I doubt I would do something like that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
It's been three years now, the longer I'm gone the more impossible to go back. Gun to my head? Pull the trigger.

I was thinking about this today. DW and I are in Tanzania visiting DS, his wife, and new grandson, at his home looking out over a beautiful view while he's at w**k. His w**k managing a big USAID project as consulting engineer always seemed pretty neat to me. Then today he texted me to email a document on his personal computer to him at w**k, which meant I had to use his Outlook (for first time in 3 years as I do Mac). I took the opportunity to browse some of his inbox and just shook my head. Deliverables, time tables, HR issues, mandatory webinars, administrative BS, O M G. It was like an injection of the "Retirement is Woooooonderful" drug! So no, I ain't goin' back.

H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
I still wake up around 4:45 AM. If they're interested, do breakfast for the wife & daughter (both working…) Tinker around the house, tend the garden.

The library opens at 10:00, if/when I feel like it I pedal over, & if they need something done I don't mind, I'll do some volunteer hours.
At the chapel, help with set up / clean up for fellowship meals.
Do I want a fixed time schedule job? No. the deal killer would be an obligation to be at some particular place at a particular time, and do whatever arbitrary assignment someone has selected for me.

unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote