Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement opportunity deal killers
Old 12-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retirement opportunity deal killers

I've heard that the longer one has been retired, the harder it is to give up certain aspects of retired life when opportunities (such as part-time work or volunteer assignments) are offered.

Only three months into ER, I'm already seeing the truth of this, and I've started to compile my deal killers related to new opportunities. At the top of my list would be having to start the day early (sleeping in has become too important) and managing other people.

What are your deal killers? What aspects of ER would you never give up?
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
What aspects of ER would you never give up?
Every last one of them.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1. I'm never going back, unless civilization as we know it ends.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+2 could never go back
Old 12-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've heard that the longer one has been retired, the harder it is to give up certain aspects of retired life when opportunities (such as part-time work or volunteer assignments) are offered.

Only three months into ER, I'm already seeing the truth of this, and I've started to compile my deal killers related to new opportunities. At the top of my list would be having to start the day early (sleeping in has become too important) and managing other people.

What are your deal killers? What aspects of ER would you never give up?
Opportunities?

Opportunities to work?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Opportunities?

Opportunities to work?

Could be. Maybe part-time or temporary. Or a volunteer assignment. Any new endeavor, really.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Opportunities?

Opportunities to work?

Quote:
Could be. Maybe part-time or temporary. Or a volunteer assignment. Any new endeavor, really.
I think Audrey's point is that many of us don't consider going back to work an "opportunity". More like a misfortune.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think Audrey's point is that many of us don't consider going back to work an "opportunity". More like a misfortune.
I know, I know. It's a four-letter word! That's why I was trying to have "opportunity" encompass anything that involves an investment of time in retirement, whatever that looks like.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Every. Last. Damn. Second. of my current (and final) OMY is being spent so that I never need to avail myself of that "opportunity" again.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Truthfully, I wouldn't give up any of my joy and freedom of retirement unless they were pulling a very large dump truck full of cash into my driveway. Even then I might say no. It's not so much the thought of getting up at the same time every morning, because I have to do that anyway. My 15 year old Chihuahua has a very consistent bladder and a difficult to ignore yap.

It's the thought of having to be somewhere for a set period of time. Every day. Even if I wanted to go kayaking or to the library. And being around a bunch of people if I didn't feel like it. And especially meetings. There's something about being FI that makes meetings either unbearable, or an opportunity to be an ass.

You're only a few months into FIRE you said. So you haven't developed the incredible resistance to employment that many of us have. I actually do have a small business, but the hours are random and rare, and I am fairly well compensated for them. It's the daily grind that would get me, even if it was just a couple of days a week. Since I have enough, why would I put myself through that?

I'll be interested in seeing if you return to this thread in a few years and have a different outlook.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just coming up on 2 years in my ER. Do I have deal killers? Oh you bet:

1. Anything requiring me to get up early.
2. Anything requiring me to be on a set schedule
3. Anything requiring me to be somewhere on a daily basis
4. Anything requiring me to commute in rush hour traffic (or any traffic)
5. Anything where I have a boss
6. Anything where I have to manage people (had my share of that)
7. Anything where I have to sit in meetings that I did not call
8. Anything with deadlines not in my control
9. Anything requiring me to travel where I do not want to go
10. Anything where I have to make and deliver Powerpoint presentations.
11. I could go on and on....

So if someone can find me a paid assignment that does not contain any of these deal killers, I'm ready to go!

So far no one has approached me with anything close
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #12

If it has anything at all to do with employment or doing anything other than I'm doing or not doing currently, it's a deal killer!

I am 100% unemployable!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Work is a four letter word!

I spent 7 hours today helping prepare a Church lunch and subsequent cleanup because 3 people went home with the flu and 2 no shows(flu also).

I never volunteer for nothing - I was only gonna help the Wife carry in some table decorations from the car.

Some days political correctness and nice sucks!

heh heh heh - Gonna dust off the old Curmudgeon Certificate and develop a 6th sense. Coulda stayed home and watched football.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #14

I would go back to work for 5 million dollars per day. Then quit after the first day. Maybe around lunchtime even. I could force myself to do it for that much
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I can't think of any reason why I would ever want to work again.

Just before I retired, my agency broached the idea of me maybe doing some contract work for them later on. I smiled and told them the agency didn't have enough money to hire me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Before ER I had notions of doing part time consulting. I did one project, but I just couldn't motivate myself to go out hunting for more. Then I had an offer to go back to work doing stuff I hate to do, in another city. I visited the work location and immediately noticed that my anxiety level was up. My subconscious did not want me to be there. No way was I was pursuing this "opportunity".

I do volunteer, but only in a way that allows me time flexibility. One of my friends recently quit a volunteer activity because it was beginning to feel like a job and was interfering with her travel plans.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:42 AM   #17

My DW and I volunteer and help out in our area regularly but like others have posted, I don't get involved if there is a set schedule- don't mind supporting an event or two at a set time but nothing that would involve meeting weekly or monthly. I've been asked multiple times to join Rotary or other clubs but the weekly luncheons (along with other concerns) stop me- I tell them I'm happy to help with their projects if needed but don't want to be a full member with all that it would bring.

As for opportunities, I have a Bobcat and often get asked to take on jobs for payment but I really don't have an interest- funny how the requester reacts sometimes when I say no thanks. The last one was on the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving with family in town- neighbor calls and asks me if I want to make a quick $200. He then tells me he contracted to clear snow on a local development road and his truck won't start- frankly, his truck almost never starts. Felt bad but said no thanks and I think he was amazed I was passing up the "easy" money? He was able to find someone else to cover it.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 AM   #18

I'll get to find out soon enough. Only 3 more "in-office" days until I resign/retire on 5 Jan 2015.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know, I know. It's a four-letter word! That's why I was trying to have "opportunity" encompass anything that involves an investment of time in retirement, whatever that looks like.
Don't conflate doing something worthwhile because you want to do it with doing something for money. Rarely do they overlap. Some people get lucky and get paid for what they really like to do. But there is still often a lot of cr@p involved when someone else is calling the shots because they are paying you.

Just because someone is retired, doesn't mean they aren't doing "worthwhile" things.

When we are retired, we have lots of time to do whatever we want - by definition we are investing our time in those things. Hopefully we are investing our time in things that are important to us.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I LOL'ed at LarryG's list!

My initial thought was that maybe I'd work PT at a local mutual fund company; a friend from church said they were always hiring people in Customer Service to handle transactions for 401(k) customers, no selling involved. Within about a week I decided it would cramp my style. I looked at the listings for temporary job agencies and they were either just plain awful ($10/hour for warehouse work, must be able to be on feet all day) or I'd probably be crossed off the list ("Must have receptionist experience"). Many were temp to hire. I don't WANT to be hired!

Probably best to leave those jobs to people who need them.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote