Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement parties
Old 02-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Retirement parties

My office had a small internal retirement party for me, a month and a half after I retired. It was pretty nice, I went in blue jeans while they wore their suits. They gave me a crystal bowl. It is one of those things I am sure nobody buys except as retirement, wedding and anniversary gifts. I admit that I exchanged the gift for a swiss army knife, tactical flashlight, brandy flask, travel clock, and four martini glasses.

Anyway, the current president said nice things about me while we ate. One of the primary things I was honored for was being the first woman lawyer to wear pants to the office. Afterwords, all the young women lawyers came up to me and thanked me for wearing pants. It was sweet.

I was the only lawyer in the office ever to have anthing arrested. In my case, I had a ship seized and arrested by a federal marshal.
A client gave me a Garmin nuvi 660. We tried it out in the neighborhood yesterday, trying to confuse it by not following instructions. Very nice toy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Retirement parties
Old 02-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So tell me, being back in the office for the party, did it stir any feelings of regret at no longer being a part of the group on a day to day basis or did it reinforce your decision as being the right one?

Hmm crystal bowl, just the thing and early retiree would want to have in their RV as they toodle around the US. Glad you were able to exchange it for something more useful.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm retiring in June as the general counsel of a public company. I kind of dread the whole retirement party concept. I'm going out on top, the company is in very good shape, but I would rather not have much of a "to do" over my departure.

Jake46
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't want a big party, just the lawyers and staff from the office was OK. I always promoted celebrations of success and other milestones at work, so I could hardly have refused the celebration of my retirement.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, that sounds like me. Thanks for your thoughts.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I didn't want a big party, just the lawyers and staff from the office was OK. I always promoted celebrations of success and other milestones at work, so I could hardly have refused the celebration of my retirement.
I've been told by a couple of our salesmen that I may be getting a golf cart for my retirement gift. I plan to attend my party.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
I've been told by a couple of our salesmen that I may be getting a golf cart for my retirement gift. I plan to attend my party.
Pretty nice!

Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
So tell me, being back in the office for the party, did it stir any feelings of regret at no longer being a part of the group on a day to day basis or did it reinforce your decision as being the right one?
No regrets. I told them it was a great place to spend 21 years of my working life, that I couldn't have asked for better coworkers, that the job allowed me to reinvent myself on a regular basis, and I would miss them all. But not so much that I would give up the new adventures in my life.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
No regrets. I told them it was a great place to spend 21 years of my working life, that I couldn't have asked for better coworkers, that the job allowed me to reinvent myself on a regular basis, and I would miss them all. But not so much that I would give up the new adventures in my life.
Martha, you are extremely fortunate to have created such a working environment for yourself. I have no doubt you will do the same in retirement. Kudos!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

When I retire, I hope it will be a party of my officers, and maybe my fellow lieutenants. I'm not so interested in seeing the Exec Staff. But unfortunately, the people I want to be there most will probably have to work. Nature of the beast.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 AM   #11

nice. all i got was a tuna sandwich worth about $6.49. not really worth the bother of trading it in. can't even regift it. what a rip.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #12

If you traded the crystal bowl for a crystal ball you could re-invent yourself as a financial advisor

Congrats on RE
Old 02-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
nice. all i got was a tuna sandwich worth about $6.49. not really worth the bother of trading it in. can't even regift it. what a rip.
Ditto here. I think I had a Grilled Chicken sandwich. I think it cost about $7.95 - Can you believe it? The company paid for the whole lunch and all I had to do was work there for 18 years.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Martha,

I had a good laugh at all the stuff you got for the crystal bowl! I guess it shows were your life is headed

Old 02-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

So with all these female lawyers running around your office with no pants on, why did you decide to break with the tradition.

And is this place currently hiring?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

We ought to throw an online retirement party every time someone here makes it official.

I'll bring the ice and key limes, but you're going to have to come here and pick them up.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
We ought to throw an online retirement party every time someone here makes it official.

I'll bring the ice and key limes, but you're going to have to come here and pick them up.
I'll have a white russian in their honor......how exhausting!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #18

At our joint they always have a retirement breakfast....the big-wigs strut like they're really doing something great! I have already informed my boss that I will NOT attend any breakfasts or parties, or any such crap. The weekend that I retire I'm throwing my own retirement bash, and I'll have the folks there that are friends....no uppity a**holes, or backstabbing b*stards!!!

All of my friends have already retired from there, and all that are left are co-w*rkers....NOT friends! So this will be more a get together of retirees and some other friends and neighbors!

As for the "ceremonial" watch....if they feel like they have to get me one (which they DON'T), they can just mail it to me. What the h*ll do I need another watch for anyway??
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #19

Many years ago windup watches that would last a reasonable length of were not cheap. Now even a $5 watch from Wal*Mart can be expected to last until the battery runs down (which can be a few years). So what's the big deal anymore with ceremonial watches?

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL, the "big" ceremonial gift at my prison is a chunk of coal, literally. The prison was built in the heart of PA coal country and to "honor" that, when you retire they give you a replica coal cart filled with real coal nuggets. Just what I need, another dust collector.