Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement party
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retirement party

I officially retired at 50 Oct. 1st. My old boss gave me a retirement party last night. It was held at a nice place and it was nice to see some of the guys. But I don't miss the work at all.

I was expecting to get a watch or a set of golf clubs but instead the boss gave me a check for $10,000. So I'm going to have my set regripped and invest the rest. Old habits are hard to break.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, that would cover a pretty nice watch and a custom set of clubs quite nicely. But hey might as well stick with the program that got you here.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
.......I was expecting to get a watch or a set of golf clubs but instead the boss gave me a check for $10,000. .........
I'll trade you retirement gifts.......
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Very nice! Hard to beat cash. My boss gave me money to go buy a new cart. I honored his request.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

And all this time I thought you were too old for a two-seater rag top...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And all this time I thought you were too old for a two-seater rag top...
Pedal to the metal baby! 8)
Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was expecting to get a watch or a set of golf clubs but instead the boss gave me a check for $10,000.
Wow, that's fantastic!! What a great send-off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Doesn't Nords suggest people skip the reitrement party?

Wow. That's a heckuva goodbye . . . I guess they really don't want you back !
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I was expecting to get a watch or a set of golf clubs but instead the boss gave me a check for $10,000.
If you REALLY had your heart set on a watch, I'll trade you even up. It's even still in the box!

I had my heart set on a gift certificate at the butcher shop, thought it was 'in the bag'.......then they give me a stinkin' watch instead! I don't need no stinkin' watch! I'm not sure who yet, but somebody is going to be getting a watch for Christmas this year!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
.......... I'm not sure who yet, but somebody is going to be getting a watch for Christmas this year!
A little sandpaper takes the engraving right off the back.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
A little sandpaper takes the engraving right off the back.
They were to #%@& cheap to have it engraved! Cheap Ba$tards!

They told me if I wanted to have engraved myself, they would "consider" paying part of the bill! $crew them!

Heck, I didn't even tear the freaking UGLY wrapping paper when I open it, so all it'll take to "re-gift" it is one small piece of tape. It even has an UGLY bow intact!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They were to #%@& cheap to have it engraved! Cheap Ba$tards!

They told me if I wanted to have engraved myself, they would "consider" paying part of the bill! $crew them!

Heck, I didn't even tear the freaking UGLY wrapping paper when I open it, so all it'll take to "re-gift" it is one small piece of tape. It even has an UGLY bow intact!
Gee!! That's awful!! As another gov't employee, I am sure I won't get $10K as a retirement gift. I probably won't get a watch, either, but if I do then I hope it's engraved.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
If you REALLY had your heart set on a watch, I'll trade you even up. It's even still in the box!

I had my heart set on a gift certificate at the butcher shop, thought it was 'in the bag'.......then they give me a stinkin' watch instead! I don't need no stinkin' watch! I'm not sure who yet, but somebody is going to be getting a watch for Christmas this year!

or you can always sell it on ebay !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Now that is the kind of retirement gift I wish I had received! Congrats!

TG
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #15

Hey! At least a watch is useful.

At my retirement lunch, I was presented with THE UGLIEST molded glass vase I have ever seen. Really. It's not tall enough to be used as a flower vase, yet it's too tall to use as a pencil holder. The shape is strange; the color is splotchy white and it has streaky speckles through it.

I collect blown and slumped glass vases and bowls from a small group of artists and had two prized pieces in my office for years. So, when he gave me this gift my boss noted that they were happy to be able to add to my collection. Afterwards, my secretary told me how much my boss spent for this abomination -- geez!!

I know I should be appreciative of the gesture, but I wish someone would have done a little more homework before making this decision.

Worse of all, as my boss doesn't know the market, he got an awful deal when he bought it. This piece is worth maybe $100 (I'm being generous here), but apparently the boss paid many, many times that for this "artwork." And I can't even get rid of it because the boss had my name and retirement date laser engraved on the bottom. (Sandpaper doesn't work too well on glass.)

I was gracious when I accepted it -- did the appropriate "oooh and ahhhh, oh you shouldn't have" etc., but I woulda prefered to have the $$ -- or even a watch.

OK, enough of this rant...the vase will stay in a box in the basement...sigh.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Hey! At least a watch is useful.
I already have a watch that works, don't really need two. And besides, I'm retired so most of the time I don't even care what time it is.

It's really a piece of crap fine time piece, so I shouldn't belittle the schmuck my former employer for giving me that worthless piece of crap token of their appreciation. Heck, I bet they spent at least $30 on it! That's almost $1 per year of service....Oh Joy! How Generous! (I would have preferred a $30 gift certificate at the butcher shop....."Hey Bill, gimme 30 bucks worth of dead cow to throw over the charcoal!")

The best part of it was the actual presentation. About 2 weeks after I pulled the plug, I had to go back to the main office to check on some paperwork. Just before I left, one of the office girls said, "Wait a second, somebody left something here for you, in case you came in." She came back with a box with UGLY wrapping paper and an even UGLIER bow, and handed it to me then turned to walk away. I asked what it was and who it was from and she said, "I don't know who left it, but I guess it's a retirement present or something."

That was it!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #17

Quote:
I officially retired at 50 Oct. 1st. My old boss gave me a retirement party last night. It was held at a nice place and it was nice to see some of the guys. But I don't miss the work at all.

I was expecting to get a watch or a set of golf clubs but instead the boss gave me a check for $10,000. So I'm going to have my set regripped and invest the rest. Old habits are hard to break.
Wow! Nice boss and firm to work for!!

The place I worked, state government agency, they gave me a $25 certificate to Olive Garden , a cake (which was eaten mostly by them), and a card. Woopee.

Sounds like you are off to a good start on ER, and that $10k is a very nice sendoff.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Doesn't Nords suggest people skip the reitrement party?
Yep. I've never ever heard of a story like this before. Impressive.

I did get a little money in my pocket from selling back leave. I was sorely punished for doing so by the Defense Finance & Accounting Service as they attempted to decide what W-2 I would get the following year by sending four of them. And, heck, they were just returning my earnings to me in the first place.

When I think of the boss I had at the time of my retirement, and the signal that a $10K check would send to the attendees...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... the boss gave me a check for $10,000.

Wow. Your boss was four times as happy to get rid of you as mine was...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I once got a $500 "exit bonus"--for keeping my mouth shut on the way out the door! I hated my boss and knew he'd paid another employee for her unused leave (a no-no) so I held out for a little something for myself, rather than go to the next level up with that tidbit.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote