Join Early Retirement Today

retirement port st. lucie/jupiter florida
Old 08-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

retirement port st. lucie/jupiter florida

i am seriously considering retirement in 3 years to the
port st. lucie or jupiter area. i'm looking for opinions and/or information about same.
thanks!!
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: retirement port st. lucie/jupiter florida
Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just wrote you a long responce to your question earlier today and I don't know what happened to it. I live in Jupiter, Fl. and I can answer any of your questions about it.
It is a very nice area, but has become in the last few years very expensive.
2000 sq. ft track home in nice development, minimum $440,000. Small 1000 sq. ft condo, no garage $220,000 (starting) Taxes are out of sight now as you are taxed on the full sales price of the property. Taxes are $24 per $1000 valuation, so if you pay $440,000 for a house your tax bill is going to be $10,560. People who have been in their homes for some time only pay a fraction of those taxes. It is a very inequitable system.

It's a very nice area though with beautiful beaches and beach picnic areas. LOTS of money here. So if your loaded - come on down.

Port St Lucy is not as expensive. Real estate is less there by probobly 1/3 or so, but taxes are high as well. We need a tax reform here bad. They passed one before that caused all the problems, stating that if you lived in your home and filed your $25,000 exemption they could not raise your taxes more than 3% a year. But heaven help you if you sell your place and buy a new residence. I made that mistake, and now I'm having to sell because I can't afford my taxes.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Modhatter is correct.
When you buy a home in Fla. you get reassesed after the 1st year. In that year they car raise your taxes according to the value of the house. After that they can raise it every year until you homestead, which means it's your primary residence. After that they are limited to 3%.
If you homestead the 1st year they can only hit you once.
I bought a home there 2 years ago and my taxes have doubled since. My primary home is in NY until next year.
This year I will give up my tax advantages in NY so I can homestead in Fla.. I should have done that 2 years ago but live and learn.
Amazing but the taxes in Fla. are becoming higher than in NY which has always been the high tax capital of America.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:41 AM   #4

Mags, Good luck to you. We all talk and plan about retirement and relocation. I for one, need to spend more time on the tax aspects as we are seriously thinking of buying in Indian River County.

Mod, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Don't you have any recourse? Will you be leaving FL?

Hi 73ss454, Still following in your foosteps. How does one proove FL homestead? Especially when the time approaches 50/50? I'm guessing drivers license, voter registration what else?

BUM

Old 08-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #5

Bum,

You can only have one primary residence and Fla. actively pursues people that don't live in the homes fultime. I once spoke to a person in the tax office and they said the other neighbors turn you in if you don't live in Fla. full time.
As far as homesteading I haven't done it yet but you will need Drivers lic, Reg on your cars and proof of home ownership.
If you plan on keeping your house in NY then you would have to give up your star exemption on it. Fla. does check to see if you did it and that's how they catch many people.
I plan on giving up my star at the end of this year and making Fla. my primary.

Good luck,
JOE
Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Bum,
I plan on giving up my star at the end of this year and making Fla. my primary.
Ditto. Wife and I are planning on driving down in December to get everything taken care of before Jan. 1st, which is when you have to be a FL resident in order to get the homestead exemption. Found out that only one of you (spouse or yourself) needs to apply for it in order to get it if both of your names are on the title.

I'm feeling the tax pain also. Closed on the house in Feb. 2004 and got both the homestead and 3% based on the previous owner's tax requirement. Will get hit with a 42.5% increase (minimum based on the assessment increase - if tax rate increases it will be more) this year since we're not residents and then expect to see at least another 33% increase next year, which includes the homestead exemption.* *

Pete
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #7

Pete,
I think you have until next March 31st.
Please let me know if I'm wrong, I had planned on doing mine next March.

Thanks,
JOE
Old 08-19-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

I believe you have until March 1st to file for the homestead exemption but must be a FL resident by Jan. 1.

Here's the link...

http://www.lakecopropappr.com/faq.asp

Qualifying For Homestead Exemption
To qualify for a Homestead Exemption, you must be a permanent resident of Florida as of January 1st. (Proof of legal residence)

Voter Registration
File Declaration of Domicile with the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
Present proof of regular Florida driver's and automobile licenses.
Resident aliens must have a residency (green) card in addition to items 2 and 3 above.
You must have legal or equitable title to the property on or before January 1st and as of January 1st reside therein.

Pete
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:33 AM   #9

This of a bit off-topic ,but can something be substitued for a Driver' License or Vehicle Rego. I don't own a car and don't plan to.

OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #10

Nope, you can't move to Fla.!!! YOUR OUT. No Car no House that's it.

Just kidding, I 'm sure that you can have alternative documentation but not sure what it is.
You can call up any local county government property appraiser office for the details.

Regards,
JOE
Old 08-20-2005, 02:02 AM   #11

Hi OAP,

I've heard that NY has an "ID only" drivers license. You can't use it to operate a motor vehicle just an ATM

I recall that the DMV fought the state because the DMV didn't want to be responsible for guaranteeing everyone's identity...state won.

Perhaps other states do the same thing.