Retirement so far - 7 weeks

lem1955

Recycles dryer sheets
Lost 6 pounds
Increased cardiovascular capacity
Walked or climbed 10 - 15 hours per week
Completed three knitting projects - one very challenging
Finished two books - Empire Falls, Richard Russo and Elephant Company, Vicki Croke
Cooked more dinners, added soups to the freezer
Applied to be a Family Friend at the VT Refugee Resettlement Program
Attended community meetings
Did more volunteer work with my two non-profit organizations
Celebrated the event with a party for 60. We did all the cooking and cleaning. NO Potluck!
Loved staying up late some nights and sleeping until seven in the morning!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations, Lem1955!!! :clap:

As I look over your post, my knee-jerk reaction was "Wow, it doesn't look like Lem1955 has had any FUN yet in retirement." Then it occurred to me that you are probably enjoying things like cooking for 60, which doesn't sound like any fun at all to me (quite the opposite). Retirement fun is so different for different people! :D

Anyway, hope you are having a good time and have been able to kick back, relax, and enjoy life these days. :)

Congratulations. Especially on your fitness progress. Healthy and fit will make whatever you choose to do in retirement so much more fun!

I'm envious of your metabolism (or possibly your work ethic). I retired at the same time, have been riding my bike 4-5 days a week, and have only dropped 3 lbs. Sure am sleeping better though.

On the plus side: I've found that cycling, reading, camping and basically hanging out is not only pleasant, but CHEAP. I've been averaging about $1600/mo expenses for the first couple of months (about a quarter of what I budgeted for). Maybe that's helping with the sleeping better part....

You'll know that you are truly retired when you quit keeping track. :LOL:

Congratulations.

And it only gets better the longer you are retirement. Congrats on being free!

Lost 6 pounds
Finished two books - Empire Falls, Richard Russo and Elephant Company, Vicki Croke
Celebrated the event with a party for 60. We did all the cooking and cleaning. NO Potluck!

This!! Congrats :dance:

Lost 6 pounds

You will have good response material for the inevitable "What do you do all day in retirement?" questions.

Sweet ! I sleep much later than you and in 8 months of retirement have only lost 4 lbs but I have never been happier. Life's is good. Keep updating us, I'd like to see how retirement evolves for you.

I have not lost any pounds yet but I sleep better and get more exercise. But my husband and I have 3 cooked meals every day and that's been keeping us busy. Plus we are finishing the hard scape of our yard. 3 years later and we are just finishing. My motivation for finishing is that I get $1000 back from the HOA, I will add that to our vacation bucket.

Last edited:
lem,

It sounds like you are doing all the things you have been wanting to do but had no time to. That is great!!

I woke up past 10AM this morning (Stayed up past 2AM). That is "staying up late" in my book :LOL:.

I stay up to 2:00 a.m. looking for travel bargains--since we're perpetual travelers.

Then I'm up at 5:30 for awhile.

But a retiree's best sleep is between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. That's when I have to get up and watch the most positive two hours of the day--Let's Make a Deal and Price is Right.

It's then time to get moving on all the things I put off doing yesterday.

The scale finally showed I lost 5lbs, yippee. Retirement is grand.

This is awesome, Lem! Congratulations. Looks like you have been busy, but it is YOUR busy.

Back
Top Bottom