Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Zen ?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement Zen ?

Ran across this today-
10 secrets: Retire a spiritually happy millionaire - Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch

Some interesting points, but contradiction too. Sure it's nice to live in the moment (Zen), pursue your passion, and avoid doing what you hate. But not sure how one can advise only spending 5 or 6min/day thinking about finances (#1) yet suggest opening a business (#7).
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #2

Thanks for the article. I agree with most of what he says except about becoming an entrepreneur. To me, that's not retiring, Just my opinion, though.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier
Some interesting points, but contradiction too. Sure it's nice to live in the moment (Zen), pursue your passion, and avoid doing what you hate. But not sure how one can advise only spending 5 or 6min/day thinking about finances (#1) yet suggest opening a business (#7).
In #1, he was referring to "personal finance," not business related. I can believe most people on average spend 6 minutes a day thinking about personal finance.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
In #1, he was referring to "personal finance," not business related. I can believe most people on average spend 6 minutes a day thinking about personal finance.
But for the small business person, their personal finance is often tied up with their business (e.g. home equity loan invested for business capital). I know many who are in that situation.
Guess I agree with David that becoming an entrepreneur is not my idea of 'retirement'.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

My zenmaster tells me if I'm an entrepreneur that I've lost my zen card.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
My zenmaster tells me if I'm an entrepreneur that I've lost my zen card.
Except if you become a zenmaster I suppose.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess you'd then be eligible for a "ZenMasterCard"

Okay, I owe an apology for that one.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

Yeah, the one where you get two-per-zen(t) back.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Ran across this today-
10 secrets: Retire a spiritually happy millionaire - Paul B. Farrell - MarketWatch

I think Mr. Farrell must be going thru some kind of existential meltdown. Every column of his for quite a long time now has gone on and on about how the end of the world is just about here and nothing will be left - doom and despair be our lot usually due to some built in flaw of the capitalist system.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, yeah it is all true. If you can live your passion and succeed you will be happier than if you slog along at something that isn't your passion. Unfortunately, lots of people try to live their passion and fail and lots more couldn't identify their passion if it banged them on the head, with or without a life coach. How does all this pablum work for them?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yeah, yeah it is all true. If you can live your passion and succeed you will be happier than if you slog along at something that isn't your passion. Unfortunately, lots of people try to live their passion and fail and lots more couldn't identify their passion if it banged them on the head, with or without a life coach. How does all this pablum work for them?
Stretch goals? Sometimes that's a good thing...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I can believe most people on average spend 6 minutes a day thinking about personal finance.
OMG, I probably use up my 6 mintues of thinking about my personal finance before 8am each day and that's because I don't wake up until 7:30am and I don't think about much of anything until "after" my first cup of coffee..
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the article. If I interpreted it right, Mr. Farrell is providing advice on how to live before retirement, in order to one day retire as a "spiritually happy millionaire"...
boatfishandnature is offline   Reply With Quote