Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I'm about to violate the Prime Directive of ER and retire at 55 from my job of 30 years without a well defined set of things to retire to. I have a number of activities I've enjoyed, but most have fallen by the wayside in the last 5-10 years of the grind.

Yesterday I shook my manager's hand, signed the paperwork and pretty much set my year end departure date in stone. When he asked what I was going to do with myself I just said "sleep". For the moment it's all I've got planned.

Anyone else retire exhausted, without big plans, and recover your mojo over time?
22 years of ER. Not only have I never generated a 'bucket list' I've never even bought a bucket.

heh heh heh -

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired FROM, not really TO anything -- except my own freedom and my own responsibility for my happiness. So far, almost 2 years into it and I could not be happier. I think like everything YMMV. I understand there are people who like to work, or have to work to feel useful or meaningful. I am not one of those happy worker bees. I think more crucial than having a plan or something to retire to is to KNOW THYSELF.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired five years ago because my soul was being sucked out through my nostrils.

100% FROM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone else retire exhausted, without big plans, and recover your mojo over time?
I was beat up, tired, thought I was lost. I literally ran away from w*rk.

Took me a while, maybe too long. What I can say is this year has been Awesome! I love this gift we worked so hard for. I'm just glad I made it out alive.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:36 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much everybody. It can take a few months of daily naps to recover from years of chronic fatigue.

The #3 worry of ERs, after inflation & healthcare, is "But... what will I DO all day?!?"

Six months later, we all wonder what the heck we were worrying about.

If the extremely unlikely event that you find yourself heading down a slippery slope, you could always consult a library copy of Ernie Zelinski's Get-A-Life Tree. I've had a blank copy on my desk for over 13 years but I haven't made the time to work on it...
The Retirement Cafe - Fun Things to Do When You Retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Nords wrote a great post a while back about The Fog of Work and how a lifetime of goal-setting and achievement can warp one's perspective.
Thanks, Walt! Credit for inspiring that post goes to E-R.org's JDarnell.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:50 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Not me. I had all sorts of plans for what I would do with my time in retirement. Numerous lists, in different orders depending on how I felt when I made the list. I just passed 9 years retired a couple of months ago, and I'm planning on getting started on those list items any day now.

Don't worry about it. Your days will fill up without any conscious decision on your part.
That was my experience. Made a very long list of everything I wanted to do. Never had to refer back to it.

You might find this previous thread helpful:

5 biggest ER surprises
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired FROM work 5 months ago. I had a list and still have the same list. I just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, pretty much everybody. It can take a few months of daily naps to recover from years of chronic fatigue.

The #3 worry of ERs, after inflation & healthcare, is "But... what will I DO all day?!?"

Six months later, we all wonder what the heck we were worrying about.
I would instead say "yeah, the majority of people". However, there is a significant minority on this forum (which includes myself) who were bored and unfulfilled in the latter years of their careers, just waiting for the right time to pull the plug and get on with pursuing dreams deferred. No time needed to recover after retiring, and ready to jump right in to pursuing those dreams.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
I retired FROM work 5 months ago. I had a list and still have the same list. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Well if you are like me '82, it will never get done. And in a couple years you will not care about it anymore anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Well if you are like me '82, it will never get done. And in a couple years you will not care about it anymore anyways.
+1

I found my list while cleaning out some old files a while back and had a good laugh.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Well, I am hoping to do at least #3, learn Spanish. There has just been a slight delay in getting started, I hope that's all it is.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Thanks, Walt! Credit for inspiring that post goes to E-R.org's JDarnell.
It is amazing that discussion spawned the Fog of Work. A great post. I was up at 0400 this morning and re-read thru it. I then returned back to sleep. Needless to say I dreamed about working and the disfunction that was part of it.

I don't miss my work time at all. In fact I wish I had left before I did at age 45. I spent a lot of time thinking about the emotional impact of ER and in retrospect things worked out just fine. I often think about some great projects I would like to do however I just go with the flow and if it happens it happens.

One of the best parts of ER is taking a nap whenever I need it.

JDARNELL
Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
One of the best parts of ER is taking a nap whenever I need it.

JDARNELL
+1

Scheduled naps, unscheduled naps, practice naps, even an occasional emergency nap - whatever the variety, the results are always highly satisfying.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #34

Hmmm, I think I feel a nap coming on...
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I didn't have too much planned when I retired at 56. More travel, get fit, lose weight. That was the start. Things got a little more interesting after a year or two. Took up biking, downhill skiing and that opened up more travel with new friends. I think not having too much of a plan at first is fine but don't settle for the couch and daytime TV.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If the extremely unlikely event that you find yourself heading down a slippery slope, you could always consult a library copy of Ernie Zelinski's Get-A-Life Tree. I've had a blank copy on my desk for over 13 years but I haven't made the time to work on it...
The Retirement Cafe - Fun Things to Do When You Retire
Hey, Nords, thanks for this link. I had not seen it before (although I know some of the books noted).

Quote:
It can take a few months of daily naps to recover from years of chronic fatigue.
I have been off the clock for about 9 months now and getting restless. The naps reinvigorated me, I guess, and the time off has been life-giving. (I have lost a lot of weight and regained some vigor.) I am very fortunate in that I thoroughly enjoyed my work most of the time and certainly the world-wide travel that came with it from time to time. There are a few interesting jobs out there that I cannot resist applying for. (Not 'retired' mentally yet I guess. Not 'early' by any means.) I quote an old and dear friend: "Engineering is the most fun a man can have--if he can afford it."
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #37

Quote:
I'm about to violate the Prime Directive of ER and retire at 55 from my job of 30 years without a well defined set of things to retire to. I have a number of activities I've enjoyed, but most have fallen by the wayside in the last 5-10 years of the grind.

Yesterday I shook my manager's hand, signed the paperwork and pretty much set my year end departure date in stone. When he asked what I was going to do with myself I just said "sleep". For the moment it's all I've got planned.

<raise hand>

The only thing I wanted to do was quit, then sleep. A year later I made a list of things to do in retirement. Haven't done one thing on the list yet, too busy enjoying life.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I found my list while cleaning out some old files a while back and had a good laugh.

That wasn't a good post, RE. I was expecting more from you. Like, you blew the dust off of it and became suddenly reinvigorated with intentions to complete the first two items on the list today.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #39

Quote:
That wasn't a good post, RE.
If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...

Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
During the accumulation phase I made a list of about 2 dozen interests I wanted to pursue after retirement, including growing roses, taking up the piano again, learning Spanish, jogging, and even getting an MBA (for no reason, other than the fact that I know nothing about that sort of thing and think it is interesting). I kept the list on my computer desktop for years but I don't know where it has gone. I could probably retrieve it from backups if I had to.

After my 2009 retirement I did not even start to work on my list. My experience in retirement has been quite the opposite of boredom. There are so many interesting things to do. Retirement has been such fun.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote