Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2015, 11:19 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I am very fortunate in that I thoroughly enjoyed my work most of the time and certainly the world-wide travel that came with it from time to time. There are a few interesting jobs out there that I cannot resist applying for. (Not 'retired' mentally yet I guess. Not 'early' by any means.) I quote an old and dear friend: "Engineering is the most fun a man can have--if he can afford it."
Contract engineering in exotic destinations sounds like a great way to spend your time!

My issues with working in retirement have been the dissatisfiers and the long-term commitments. You've solved those problems and better yet, you're getting paid to travel...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 11:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I was beat up, tired, thought I was lost. I literally ran away from w*rk.

Took me a while, maybe too long. What I can say is this year has been Awesome! I love this gift we worked so hard for. I'm just glad I made it out alive.
++1

Couldn't have said it any better MRG!

My last drive home from w*rk and our modest celebration afterwards was one one of the best times of my life, matched only by my wedding!

Old 11-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Anyone else retire exhausted, without big plans, and recover your mojo over time?
Congratulations on your ER stepford!

I ran from w*rk like running from a burning building

Before ER, I read relevant books, made list of reasonable activities, and fantasized about extensive snowbird travel and class-A RV's that wouldn't fit our already strained SWR.

Well, now that I've been ER'd 8 months, I haven't touched my list of "reasonable activities" and I don't even care. My fantasies of a Supersized retirement fell quite painlessly to the budget axe.

Now are main vices are cable TV, DW's homemade chocolate, and ethnic dining. We enjoy Indian and Thai food at least once or twice a week each, a benefit of putting up with a high COL metro area. We spend the rest of our time living the dream: dining with close friends, kayaking big lakes, biking the hills, etc.

So, to answer your question, any guise of big plans has fallen away, and we just are recovering from the rat race while living and loving our lives.

FB
Old 11-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats on getting out of the machine! You give the rest of us serving out our indentured servitude hope for the future.

Del Q summed it up nicely for me. I'm so mentally and emotionally exhausted by the end of the day, I can't see beyond it. I'd like to retire TO something but right now I can't envision would that would be because work is so draining.

30 years of work is plenty. Enjoy life on your terms as your own boss. I suspect a bad day of retirement will still be better than a good day at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retiring FROM vs. Retiring TO.

Sleep, exercise, and grow my own food. Travel 1/3 of the time. Playing with the stock market daily or when I see an opportunity should keep me busy, of course only on fun money, not my retirement money. Lots of projects waiting to be done when I'm actually retired. But honestly I can't go to work, not at this job anymore. Commute is killing me. I'm so dead tire everyday dreaming of my retirement.
For me it's 35 years of work, not a slacker but enough is enough.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #46

Escaped from the machine a year ago, that is enough for me. No more leaving at 6 am and returning at 6 pm. No more insane work assignments, meetings, dealing with personalities, corporate lingo, micro-managing bosses. Not worried about the TO, it will take care of itself.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retiring FROM vs. Retiring TO.

In sixty days, I'll be officially FIREd, so we'll see how it goes. After thirty-two years as a lab rat, and another twelve as "miscellaneous", my BS bucket is full, and the numbers work, I hope...

Always been a list maker, and have a mental bucket list, not of "things to accomplish", but free associative stuff that I've always wanted to do, or things that sound interesting. How many items on that list get "done" remains to be seen. But, then, I'm pretty good at slacking too.

Funny thing, now that I've announced my intentions at w*rk, all of a sudden I'm almost irreplaceable. Funny also how that has never been reflected in my salary or raises...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #48

I didn't have a set list - although having read here enough, I did have some projects in mind... The ones that involved labor (de-cluttering, painting a few rooms, etc.) are still on the list. The ones that involved some fun (learning Italian) I've started tackling (2 semesters of Italian done, 3rd semester will start in Jan.)

I had a couple of contacts with my former co-workers this week - lunch with one gal, and a Halloween party with a bunch of the others. Turns out that the trigger for my quitting - mandatory travel for 1 week at a time, each month... never happened. And the project I worked on is on hiatus and a funner project (that I wanted to work on) is going full bore... Does this make me want to go back to work. HELL NO.

There are so many books to read, walks to take, websites to browse, recipes to cook, even solitaire games to play.... I'm to busy to go to work.... despite having retired with no "retire to" plan.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have two young kids so if I RE I don't have any concern around how I'll spend time . My concern is if raising kids all day will drive me nuts . Of course in 1 year DD goes to school and DS is 2 years behind. I expect in 4-6 years they won't want to spend much time with me and I'll wish I'd spent more time with them .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In sixty days, I'll be officially FIREd, so we'll see how it goes. After thirty-two years as a lab rat, and another twelve as "miscellaneous", my BS bucket is full, and the numbers work, I hope...

Always been a list maker, and have a mental bucket list, not of "things to accomplish", but free associative stuff that I've always wanted to do, or things that sound interesting. How many items on that list get "done" remains to be seen. But, then, I'm pretty good at slacking too.

Funny thing, now that I've announced my intentions at w*rk, all of a sudden I'm almost irreplaceable. Funny also how that has never been reflected in my salary or raises...
Hey, congratulations! That is great news and obviously well earned after 32+12 years of work. Oh, by the way, as for the salary and raises... don't be surprised at all if they offer you a raise NOW just to try to keep you from leaving. They may not, depending on how hard it is to find the funding for it, but it does happen.

In my case, I told them to keep their raises and their promotions and their part time consulting and new titles and other enticements because I was outta there. They should have offered me those goodies before I announced my retirement date if they wanted them to have any effect.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #51

Each to their own.

I made sure I had plenty of things to do before I FIREd and would not have made the transition without that aspect of my retirement planning being in place. It was as important as the financial aspects.

It worked well for me , but I can understand people who have horrible j#bs prioritizing getting out the door.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Congratulations! Having read a lot of your posts, I'm pretty sure you'll be a natural at retirement.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

No question, I ran FROM. What happened next was of little concern so long as I got a chance to catch my breath. Didn't have a list so much as a mental inventory of all the stuff I never got to do while working/night school/commuting/studying for CFA/whatever. I had enough time on the beach to recover and have one really great summer with the kids and then landed in the "gig economy" (consulting). It was fine for about a year, but now I find myself juggling two contracts at once for a short time and I can feel the chronic fatigue and stress taking hold again. Not making this mistake again. In a few weeks I will go back to one contract and then (at least for a while) none at the end of the year. If nothing else, this is a good reminder of what I do not want to do.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Having read a lot of your posts...
So sorry. They makes pills for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm pretty sure you'll be a natural at retirement.

Yeah, instead of a bucket list, I have a shenanigan list!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #55

See this:

Retired – Now What? | Olderhood.com

From the blog post:

Quote:
...the most poignant aspect of retirement is that it forces you to reinvent yourself if you are going to be happy. One day your life is filled with people and things that you have to accomplish in order to get paid, and the next day … nothing. You are literally starting a new life from scratch.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I didn't retire exhausted, but I had no big plans when I pulled the plug. I left 10 years ago knowing I was resourceful enough to manage my own entertainment and certain life without work was far better than with it.

I was right.
+1

I FIRE'd just a few months after REWahoo with pretty much the same results. Technically I was fire'd. But after a short period of job hunting and collecting UI, I declared myself FIRE'd and shredded my stack of resume's.

Since I hadn't planned on leaving my job at the exact time "they" chose to boot my sorry ass out, my plans were minimal. But I was enjoying life to a great extent while I was working and just picked up the pace when being interrupted by going to work was no longer a hindrance to fun.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I didn't retire exhausted, but I had no big plans when I pulled the plug. I left 10 years ago knowing I was resourceful enough to manage my own entertainment and certain life without work was far better than with it.

I was right.
+1

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote