Retiring in CT?

Sparky

Recycles dryer sheets
We're already here - in Fairfield County (bought at the bottom of the RE market in 1995). Expenses are pretty high, taxes, food, we're paying for being close to NYC.

Personally I would sell put the money in the bank and look around low cost areas.
Good weather is a big factor to me. CT is not the best place for that.

NYC is only a few hours from anywhere.

IMO, southwestern Connecticut is really nice. The weather is moderate, the people are affluent and well educated. Long Island Sound is just outside your door. New York is a very short train ride or drive , and you can get home at night, thus sparing yourself the hassle and expense of an overnight stay.

What's not to like?

Ha

HaHa said:
IMO, southwestern Connecticut is really nice. The weather is moderate, the people are affluent and well educated. Long Island Sound is just outside your door. New York is a very short train ride or drive , and you can get home at night, thus sparing yourself the hassle and expense of an overnight stay.

What's not to like?

Ha

The Weather!

HaHa said:

What's not to like?

Ha

Assuming you are happy with the climate (a reasonable assumption since the OP already lives there), the biggest problem I can see is that it is expensive to live there. Then again, if you have a big enough pile, it doesn't matter.

Connecticut is often thought of as "that place between BOS and NYC". I lived in Danbury during the 70s...liked it.  Ridgefield, Stamford, Greenwich...ooolala.

73ss454 said:
The Weather!
Here's a good guideline for selecting a career/retirement location. If you're worried about your sewage freezing & cracking the sewer lines, then you'll probably want to look somewhere else.

New London is one of those special places where not only does the submarine's sewage freeze in the overboard hoses, but sometimes even the salt-water backflush solidifies. (Of course you don't discover this problem until next morning when you try to pump the tanks of the night's accumulation and the hose bursts.) When we started having to add anti-freeze to the saltwater backflush I realized that a change of location would dramatically improve my working conditions.

I've spent too many falls in that area dreading the ensuing winters. And the summers are too full of humidity & mosquitos. My reaction to the BRAC's threat of closing the Navy's New London submarine base was "Thank goodness!" Unfortunately I've just read that's not gonna happen after all... more generations of pain for young nukes.

Back
Top Bottom