Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are not set on a coastal community take a look at Ashland, OR. Medford is a short drive for medical care, serious shopping, and flight service to SEA/SJC.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
If you are willing to swap big rivers for ocean, Portland is a really nice city. I still lobby for retiring there.
The other day we were up in Vancouver checking out an investment. Came across the bridge into Portland and spent 1.5 hours on I5 getting to Wilsonville. This small town boy is NOT used to big city traffic movement on the freeway.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

If I had known you were coming I would have suggested I-205 from Vancouver, it intersects with I-5 just north of Wilsonville.

I-217 is to be avoided at all costs.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

San Juan Buatista. Close enough to Monterey bay for mild climate, 45 minutes from San Jose, 2:25 to Yosemite and big sur area is less than an hour away.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi all!!! OP here, checking in after being away for a few days...

THANK YOU!!! for the great comments; they're greatly appreciated. We are heading up to Napa this weekend for a drive-around, and will check out some of the surrounding areas.

We actually drove up to and stayed in Gualala a few years back... It's really small and really far away from almost everything... I'd probably go to Mendocino, but the cachet means housing is not cheap.

There were numerous other places suggested. While staying in Bodega Bay a few weeks back we did go to Occidental for a street festival, and when we asked a local why everyone seemed so happy, her matter-of-fact reply was simple and succinct: "Everyone's high!"

We're still looking, and expect to have fun going through this process. We'll post our progress on the Board.

Thanks again!!

RTR
RTR2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Please note that there is a major fire in the Lake Berryessa area today that has grown rather explosively (about 7000 acres about 5% contained as of today)

It is very dry out here
Old 07-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR2006 View Post

There were numerous other places suggested. While staying in Bodega Bay a few weeks back we did go to Occidental for a street festival, and when we asked a local why everyone seemed so happy, her matter-of-fact reply was simple and succinct: "Everyone's high!"

Well, there's your solution...Stay where you are and light up!

On the serious side, not that the above suggestion shouldn't be fully explored, have you thought about The Delta? It might not satisfy your water jones, even though it's a large and varied body of water. But, it's a unique (and less expensive) option compared to many of those already mentioned.

I'd also suggest you evaluate the resulting property tax situation to understand the financial consequences of the sell/repurchase route. You may instead want to sell, use your $500k cap gains exclusion, and rent (perhaps forever; see below).

DW and I lived in the East Bay in the 80s, The City in the 90s, and just relocated to Marin after being gone from the SF Bay Area for 15 yrs. So, it sounds like we were looking for something somewhat similar to you. We chose closer in to SF (read: more expensive) and significantly downsized for affordability; a choice of location over space. We think we've found paradise but, need to be here a while longer to know if this will work for us long term. In the meantime, we decided to rent until we're certain - and maybe forever. I say maybe forever because, right now there is a 50% +/- premium in this market to buy versus rent the same/equivalent living space.

Best of luck in your search.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
We think we've found paradise but, need to be here a while longer to know if this will work for us long term. In the meantime, we decided to rent until we're certain - and maybe forever. I say maybe forever because, right now there is a 50% +/- premium in this market to buy versus rent the same/equivalent living space.
One of my sons just bought a horrendously expensive place in Marin. That premium you speak of to me is from 2 things-fear of getting priced out, and speculating on further rapid increase.

A similar thing is going on at a smaller level around metro Seattle, mainly in the prime neighborhoods on the King County Eastside, like West Bellevue, Medina, etc.

Best thing in the world to quell property speculation is an earthquake big enough to scare the hell out of people, but not kill too many of them or destroy the area for years. Serious rioting can help too.

Ha
Old 11-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks from the OP...

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my questions about relocating within northern California. I did retire several weeks ago, we've gotten some chores out of the way, and we will be looking in earnest once the holidays are behind us.

I was in SLO last week and loved it, and we' be looking at points north, east and west. The future beckons!

Thanks again!

RTR
RTR2006 is offline   Reply With Quote