Retiring in Santa Fe NM

I was going to suggest Austin too, though it is getting expensive and congested. It does not have the high crime rate that many Midwestern cities are dealing with. It seems like most metro areas in the US have fairly high crime compared to the Utopia we are all looking for :(

It may not be an issue for many, but if you look at the records of various police/sheriff's departments in NM (like ABQ and Bernalillo county) you'll find some pretty scary stories on "cops running wild" with civil forfeiture and "beat to death first and ask questions later" or "we stopped you for a traffic violation now we are going to the hospital for a forced colonoscopy to make sure you aren't hiding drugs in your intestines" issues resulting in Fed Justice Dept consent decrees that often seem to be ignored by the local PD staff.

Sadly, this seems to be an ever-more common problem throughout the USA.

For OP, I like Santa Fe; visited there a lot but haven't lived there. Flagstaff and Colorado Springs are other options. We had a cabin outside of Canon City that we loved, but sold it on semi-retirement and the move to Reno from Houston.

Sedona today isn’t what Sedona was 15 years ago. It is being loved to death.

Unfortunately, everywhere is being loved to death. DW and I have been traveling and hiking everywhere in the US for decades. It is next to impossible to get away from it all. We were in Glacier NP last year on one of the "remotest" trails, and we were never alone. We were there before the fire, so we were one of the 2.9 million visitors before the closure. There were 3.3 million in 2017. Saguaro NP in May of 2017, we experienced the same, always somebody with you one the trails, yakking and yelling, we only saw 4 birds in 4 hours in an early morning hike before the heat.:(

Unfortunately, everywhere is being loved to death. DW and I have been traveling and hiking everywhere in the US for decades. It is next to impossible to get away from it all. We were in Glacier NP last year on one of the "remotest" trails, and we were never alone. We were there before the fire, so we were one of the 2.9 million visitors before the closure. There were 3.3 million in 2017. Saguaro NP in May of 2017, we experienced the same, always somebody with you one the trails, yakking and yelling, we only saw 4 birds in 4 hours in an early morning hike before the heat.:(

That is why we seek BLM land to hike on and go to National Monuments instead. As soon as National Park gets slapped on something, crowds usually follow.

Sedona today isn’t what Sedona was 15 years ago. It is being loved to death.
What nice place isn't being loved to death? That said, Sedona's towering red rocks have lost none of their beauty and unlike in a National Park, you can actually live there amid the natural beauty. Interestingly, the two closest hospitals (Verde Valley and Flagstaff) have just been given 5 star ratings by the feds. Only two others in the state received 5 star ratings for comparison.

What nice place isn't being loved to death? That said, Sedona's towering red rocks have lost none of their beauty and unlike in a National Park, you can actually live there amid the natural beauty. Interestingly, the two closest hospitals (Verde Valley and Flagstaff) have just been given 5 star ratings by the feds. Only two others in the state received 5 star ratings for comparison.

It reminds me of what happened to Santa Fe though. Waiting for restaurants, traffic, etc.

There are a few gems left without the crowds. I just moved to one.

It reminds me of what happened to Santa Fe though. Waiting for restaurants, traffic, etc.

There are a few gems left without the crowds. I just moved to one.
If it's a gem, others are sure to discover it ;)

We just got back from a quick trip to Sedona to look at houses. The traffic on a Saturday afternoon is pretty bad but a good deal of the problem is folks don't know how to properly navigate the many roundabouts in town. We are moving to Sedona in the near future (are actually in escrow but trying to have a Plan B in case the deal falls through.) Escrow home is actually in Village of Oak Creek which is a bit quieter than downtown Sedona. The traffic really doesn't take away from the majestic beauty of the red rock formations. If our escrow closes we'll have close up views of Castle Rock just up the street and more distant vistas of Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. With all the amenities of modern life close by.

We just got back from a quick trip to Sedona to look at houses. The traffic on a Saturday afternoon is pretty bad but a good deal of the problem is folks don't know how to properly navigate the many roundabouts in town. We are moving to Sedona in the near future (are actually in escrow but trying to have a Plan B in case the deal falls through.) Escrow home is actually in Village of Oak Creek which is a bit quieter than downtown Sedona. The traffic really doesn't take away from the majestic beauty of the red rock formations. If our escrow closes we'll have close up views of Castle Rock just up the street and more distant vistas of Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. With all the amenities of modern life close by.
Enjoy the pink Jeeps and RV’s.

We plan to! In two weeks, my partner and I are getting married during a chartered Pink Jeep tour out in the red rocks!

Congratulations and many blessings on your upcoming wedding and marriage!

Sedona and north on 89A along the creek are beautiful and so much to do in that area of Arizona so I am envious. Unfortunately it is not for me as I visited Sedona in shoulder season and was still bothered by the traffic and I can not take the summer heat. But Village of Oak Creek (I stayed there) was much less congested and I assume the locals know all the back roads to avoid some of the traffic. Please get back with us on how you like living there. And congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Last edited:
Congrats Ian on your upcoming "pink jeep" wedding. I was in Sedona in early March. Very beautiful area. Did not do pink jeeps. Is Haunted Hamburger in Jerome catering the reception?

Sedona and north on 89A along the creek are beautiful and so much to do in that area of Arizona so I am envious. Unfortunately it is not for me as I visited Sedona in shoulder season and was still bothered by the traffic and I can not take the summer heat. But Village of Oak Creek (I stayed there) was much less congested and I assume the locals know all the back roads to avoid some of the traffic. Please get back with us on how you like living there. And congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
We're used to Phoenix heat so Sedona will be significantly cooler. While daytime temperatures in Sedona can rise above 100F in the summer, the nights cool off much more than we're used to in Phoenix. Thanks for the good wishes!

Congrats Ian on your upcoming "pink jeep" wedding. I was in Sedona in early March. Very beautiful area. Did not do pink jeeps. Is Haunted Hamburger in Jerome catering the reception?
Thanks you! The wedding group is only 14 so we are just going to a restaurant (Hideaway House) that's within walking distance of the Pink Jeep location.

For something really different try Jerome, my sister lives there. Small, quaint, affordable.

For something really different try Jerome, my sister lives there. Small, quaint, affordable.
+1

Not sure how affordable it is now, but an interesting place.

+1

Not sure how affordable it is now, but an interesting place.
There's a current listing for a 1 bed 1 bath 724 sq ft home for $245K! Other listings are more reasonably priced but the homes are old, tiny and on tiny lots. Wouldn't work for us.

My brother and family just moved from Santa Fe after 20 yrs to California. They said the crime was becoming unbearable. They lived in a very nice area, but they were burglarized 2-3 times a yr, even with a security system.

This does not really pertain to a decision to retire in NM, but I found out that New Mexico Piñon Coffee no longer has real piñon nuts in it. According the company website, they were removed because of allergy concerns and flavoring issues. The coffee is now made with a pine nut flavoring.

It's still the only flavored coffee I like, but some of the glamour is gone. Maybe I need to buy some pine nuts the next time I am in NM and roast my own.

Back
Top Bottom