Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retiring in Santa Fe NM
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retiring in Santa Fe NM

I live in Seattle. I'm considering a 2nd home in Santa Fe NM to spend 6 months of the year there. Been there on vacation many times and love it. But haven't spent more then 3 or 4 days at a time there. Not sure what 6 months would be like.

The draw is the food, culture, weather, cost and amazing art scene. I also think it is a great hidden secret with the ability to travel quickly to Taos and other scenic areas of NM. Plus I love the plaza. Did I mention the food? lol

Has anybody retired there or spent considerable time there? I have heard you have to live in the right areas or it could be kind of tough and some question if there is enough to do there for a 6 month stretch.

I am a big golfer so I am thinking about buying a house in Las Campanas.

Any thoughts on Santa Fe NM?
SeattleRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you like traffic?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We spent some time in Santa Fe and enjoyed it. The biggest caveat I have is that Santa Fe is at 7200 feet. If you have any type of lung problem, it is not for you. My DW ended up at an oxygen bar because he Oxygen level was down to 82%!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was in Santa Fe and very cool town but also expensive.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I was in Santa Fe and very cool town but also expensive.
By western standards, it’s about right. For the Midwest, it’s expensive.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

College grad from St. John's in Santa Fe back in '77. Winter is hard dry powder snow cold and fingertips can crack. I'd be concerned about theft and break ins during the away times. That said, I loved the place.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The plaza is great and we enjoy the area around Santa Fe. The congestion is noticeable. Santa Fe IMHO has become “discovered.”
Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We spent some time in Santa Fe and enjoyed it. The biggest caveat I have is that Santa Fe is at 7200 feet. If you have any type of lung problem, it is not for you. My DW ended up at an oxygen bar because he Oxygen level was down to 82%!
+1

We live at 7500' and it's not for everyone. I see a lot of people come up here to be sick. The grocery stores sell little O2 bottles people buy them and support a local oxygen bar too.

It's no joke to have breathing issues, dehydration problems, or blood clots. Even after you're adjusted; dehydration, hemoglobin and hematocrit problems can be an issue. We were back a few miles in the wilderness when I discovered what dehydration will do to you. It wasn't a fun walk back.

ETA: Think about health insurance and coverage for two states. I'm fighting tomorrow about coverage from a provider who's in New Mexico and out of my state wide network.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

So I was there when I lived in the Midwest. I now live in the West and prices are similar.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So I was there when I lived in the Midwest. I now live in the West and prices are similar.
You should update your profile.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My profile is accurate as I have been here 22 years.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My profile is accurate as I have been here 22 years.
Hmmm. Said Nebraska before.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have never lived in Nebraska. Nevada
Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It is in a state that is consistently tied with Mississippi for the poorest. The doctors in the hospitals down there joke that the unbelted kid crashing through the windshield of a car is the state bird. This was the state that first deployed Breathalyzer-ignition interlocks in cars. Have fun...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wish I could claim to have spent considerable time Santa Fe as I love the "City Different" and always wanted to live there. But my employer would not pay relocation costs so here I am in Albuquerque and just occasionally visit or pass through Santa Fe on my way to our northern office.

I assume you were planning to live in Santa Fe during the winter months since the PNW normally has a beautiful summer. I stayed at a hotel just off the plaza for a couple of nights in late February and there were no crowds and little traffic in that area so traffic is not always a problem. While the most popular Santa Fe events are during peak tourist season in June-Aug, Sept-Oct are the nicest months in NM and there are still lots of activities. My only concern would be that a Seattleite might be bored during the quieter winter/early spring.

Concerning the cold weather, this year has been cooler and wetter than most and I heard complaints when I was there recently about all the winter storms. But looking at the statistics, snow has been about the norm of 22” with only a couple of heavier 4" snowfalls although the high temps have been cooler than the historical highs. Nothing like the several feet of snow in Central Oregon that stays around for weeks. The 1970-1990 timeframe was one of the wettest on record for our area but it has been relatively dry and warm since then so I think people get spoiled. I personally like a little snow that melts quickly.

The OP might want to look at the City Data subforum for Santa Fe. Most of the cons discussed there are about housing costs and lack of medical care but not so much a problem for someone who can afford it and has their permanent home in Seattle. And nearby Albuquerque has suitable medical care for most needs. There is a realtor on that City Data subforum who is very good about pointing posters to neighborhoods that might fit their needs but he does not push his services. There are also several older threads on Las Campanas. One recent complaint that I saw was that it cost $700 a month to join their social/golf club in addition to an upfront fee – but membership was not required.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have a cousin who has lived there for 20 years or so. It's a neat area for sure. I've enjoyed my visits but as someone said, it is an expensive city and traffic can be tough when special events are taking place. And as far as healthcare is concerned, her and hubby travel to other cities for anything major.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thought seriously of moving there 20 years ago.

Good skiing nearby, great Native American vibe and there's a great spa up the hill.

Love driving through the upscale rural neighborhoods with signs saying "No Trespassing. Armed Response!" everywhere.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you thinking about it for winter or summer? Summer is really nice. Winter is cold(er). I lived in the east mountains of Albuquerque at 7100 ft, about the same as Santa Fe. You will get winter snow and it does get cold, typically not less than single digit above zero. Santa Fe is also the state capitol of NM, but is still a relatively small size town around 75K. It is not a big area and you will have to travel to ABQ south for some things not available in Santa Fe. ABQ metro area is like 2/3 of the whole state population. Santa Fe is quite liberal politically, more than the rest of the state. NM as mentioned is a state that leads with Mississippi in the top of the bad rating lists and bottom of the good rating lists. NM is also the top gov't spending per capita state of the USA. If not for the gov't spending, it would be a near third world conditions state. It has high crime and lots of poverty. I guess you can tell I don't have any regrets leaving that state. You may have a different opinion once you spend more time there than just short vacation. There is only so much you can do on the plaza, that won't last on continuing basis. NM is very dry, so the golf courses are not what you are used to.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Are you thinking about it for winter or summer? Summer is really nice. Winter is cold(er). I lived in the east mountains of Albuquerque at 7100 ft, about the same as Santa Fe. You will get winter snow and it does get cold, typically not less than single digit above zero. Santa Fe is also the state capitol of NM, but is still a relatively small size town around 75K. There is only so much you can do on the plaza, that won't last on continuing basis. NM is very dry, so the golf courses are not what you are used to.
Thanks to all for the feedback. Super helpful. I am thinking about probably Oct-April in Santa Fe - no way I will miss my Seattle summers. I don't mind bad weather or snow.

Never thought about the altitude. That is absolutely something I need to think about. My wife and I are in really great shape (55 years old) with no medical conditions. But still altitude can be an issue.

I love the vibe in Santa Fe. Wasn't planning on spending a ton of time on the Plaza - just enough to eat at The Shed weekly.

But thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.
SeattleRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRocks View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback. Super helpful. I am thinking about probably Oct-April in Santa Fe - no way I will miss my Seattle summers. I don't mind bad weather or snow.

Never thought about the altitude. That is absolutely something I need to think about. My wife and I are in really great shape (55 years old) with no medical conditions. But still altitude can be an issue.

I love the vibe in Santa Fe. Wasn't planning on spending a ton of time on the Plaza - just enough to eat at The Shed weekly.

But thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

My son and his wife couldn’t wait to get out of New Mexico, and they both have lived in Albuquerque or Santa Fe their entire lives. They’re now in Seattle, but are considering moving to PA or MD. Seattle is too expensive.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote