Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retiring in Texas?
Old 03-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
Now here's a good reason to retire in Texas -- alligator hunts.

I know of a place inside the Houston city limits that has many 12 to 14+ foot gators.
I hope you don't have to check whether its a "doe" or a "buck" before you shoot them!

er..you do shoot them don't you?

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #42

I lived in Houston from 89 to 96. My house appreciated from 96K to 106K. I paid about $2K a year in property taxes although there were no state income taxes, which bears repeating.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf42
I hope you don't have to check whether its a "doe" or a "buck" before you shoot them!

er..you do shoot them don't you?
Mostly I give them a big kiss. A "doe" will swoon. A "buck" will be startled; and when he backs off, he's a goner. It's too much trouble to turn a gator over to check. A big kiss is easier.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:48 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks REWahoo for the insight on the Del Webb community in San Antonio.

I visited there on a Sunday when traffic was light. Obviously, I need to see it in the rush hour too.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

I've seen ReWahoo's property, and conservatively it would cost $750,000.00 Inland, and probably in the area of $1,200,000.00 on the coast. Prop 13 gives you a limitation on increases, but initially, the figures $8000.00 and $13,000.00 would be very close.
Jarhead, I think you're low-balling, especially after our recent remodeling job - installed a set of new tires and tornado resistant roll bars.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Jarhead, I think you're low-balling, especially after our recent remodeling job - installed a set of new tires and tornado resistant roll bars.

Yehaaaaaaaa! Getting ready for a move, are ya?

Half-time with UCLA and Florida. Not looking good for the Bruins.

John Wooden, we need ya.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by playaman

I visited there on a Sunday when traffic was light. Obviously, I need to see it in the rush hour too.
When you do check it out, imagine how much worse it will be once the hundreds of acres surrounding Del Webb are filled with several thousand tract homes. Note that there are only two ways to enter/exit the area and both will surely become traffic choke points.

The city will eventually do something to help relieve congestion (they are already widening the two miles of Hwy 471 to 4 lanes between Loop 1604 and FM 1560), but it will be several years before any real relief is in place. Today's paper noted that one road improvement project in the area had been postponed - to 2018!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #48
Confused about dryer sheets

I sold my house and made South Dakota my home base....no income or personal property tax and no vehicle inspections. I'm a full-time RVer. It works for me.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I think the secret to retiring in Texas is to "live" in a PO box at a local UPS store. You then have "vacation homes" in other states so you can make extended visits without triggering that state's income tax. You get to move to nicer areas during the year plus avoid Texas' property tax and the other state's income tax.

The Ebola has wiped out most of my neighborhood. I'm paying about 3.8 cents per hundred.
That's what I do - texas resident but own no real property. Whenever I hear of an Ebola outbreak I put down the wheels and move to a different county.

Audrey