Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retiring Overseas
Old 07-04-2004, 03:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Turning the whole pc off will do nothing.

Cookies, cached information, and any "keyboard trappers" will maintain their information as its stored on the hard drive until the next time the machine is turned on.

Like I said, dont access anything from a public machine or from a public network without adequate protection that you dont want to share with another motivated party...

As far as not having anything bad happen "so far", I'm forced to rely on my old standby. You can run across the highway 10-20 times with a bag over your head and not have anything bad happen. I wouldnt make a habit out of it though... :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2004, 04:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sister retired and is living in Tulum Mexico (Yucatan).

Anybody on this list ER in that area?

She seems to like it but it sure is different than the USA.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is anybody aware of any banks, brokerages, financial institutions, etc. that use a security card for internet access? By that I mean a card that will generate a response password to the challenge presented by the website for login? If so that would get around the key logger problem. One of the companies that I worked for used such a system for getting into the corporate network.

How about a web service that uses one of these for login and then once you are logged into them you can login to your other services through them without having to enter any passwords. That would give nothing for key loggers to grab.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:03 AM   #24

Quote:
I'm thinking hard about retiring somewhere overseas. * Maybe Philippines or Thailand? *Somewhere where the cost of living is low and culture not so workoholic. *I was wondering has this been discussed on this forum? *Has anybody contemplated a expat retirement life?
Otako
You may also look at a site called www.escapeartist.com for tips on living overseas. There is a fair bit of hype in/on the site, but some useful links and info in there, too.

I think ER (and regular retirement) overseas could become huge over the next 20-30 years, as people walk away from the fiscal crises here in the US (Medicare, local property taxes) that hit retirees, to say nothing of the taxes the others will be paying. Just move and get the cheap phone, cheap healthcare, cheap real estate... and still collect social security.
People have been doing this in Mexico for 50 years, but I think a new and much bigger migration of Americans is going to crank up. Part of it is the US itself has become more internationalized than ever, and that coupled with high taxes seems to lead to an expat culture. Look at all the Brits all over the world!

ESRBob
Old 08-05-2004, 10:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Sawadee krap Lance,
Now, folks I don't want you to get the wrong impression that Lance just sits around his pool all day. Being retired in Bangkok does take some work. Lets see, there's where do I go to get my noodles today. Which beer garden will I frequent this evening? Not to mention the hour of reading the Bangkok Post each day. And let's not forget the two hour Thai massages for 5 bucks!

So you can see the stress of everyday life does take its toll on Lance, and I admire his hard work and persistence.
I can see that the grass is not always greener on the other side. It's a tough life, and I can only hope that my regular job will have honed my skills enough to decide which beer to drink and which noodles stand to visit by the time I retire.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:21 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd rather leave the U.S. than work until the day I die in the U.S.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:30 PM   #27

Hey etako...........That is certainly one of the most
straightforward posts ever. Excellent! I would leave
the USA in a heartbeat, if I was assured of ER
security. My problem is that (although I don't
see any place better) I am frustrated with the
direction we are headed. Frankly, I don't see where
I could go to make things better.

John Galt
Old 08-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #28

Anyone interested in retiring in the Philippines should visit www.livinginthephilippines.com

Excellent resource for all topics related to retiring in the Philippine islands.

Robert
Old 08-14-2004, 06:29 AM   #29

That is a great website. Are there any others for say Thailand & Mexico?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:22 AM   #30

Quote:
That is a great website. Are there any others for say Thailand & Mexico?
I found one on Mexico
http://www.retireinmexico.org/

and another on Thailand.
http://www.thaivisa.com/

Hope they are helpful.

MJ
Old 08-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm intrigued by the thought of living in Thailand part of the year. We'd like to plan a trip to Thailand and get acquianted with the place.

Can anyone recommend some places to visit in Thailand? I'm specifically looking for places that would be nice places to visit as an ER with two small kids. We are partial to places with low pollution and temperate weather. We are considering home schooling the kids so we could travel around the world and still meet their school requirements.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mike,
Your going to love Thailand. I have spent much time there the last four years. My suggestion is Chiang Mai. Less hectic and cleaner air than Bangkok, but has everything Bangkok has to offer, IMO. Check my website as I have many stories information and pictures from that area.

Billy
Website www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 08-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #33

Billy: Where are you guys now? How has the declining dollar affectied your travel planning and trips abroard?

SWR
Old 08-14-2004, 05:37 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently,
We are both in the US. My wife left yesterday for a trip to her sisters in another state. Regarding the Dollar's fall, it has not really played very much into the equation. I mean that if you spend little as we do, IMO it doesn't make much sense to "worry" about it. If I was buying a house or something I would consider it. Last May when we were in Thailand I think the Baht was 39, now it's 41+. Not that big of a deal.

We were in Mexico (93 I think) when the Peso was cut in half. Now that was fun. Everything half price.

Billy,
Website www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 08-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
My suggestion is Chiang Mai. Less hectic and cleaner air than Bangkok, but has everything Bangkok has to offer, IMO. Check my website as I have many stories information and pictures from that area.

Billy
Website *www.geocities.com/ba264
Billy, thanks. I'll pull out my Atlas and take a look tonight. I did a quick browse of your web site. You inspired me. I'm 37 and thinking of taking some time off (or being a "true" ER) in the next year or two. It makes me nervous but know that life only gives you one chance.