Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think they are more eager to escape those winters . . .
Dead on, McDuff! It is going to snow tomorrow in Calgary.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Never say never, Keith I do hope to explore Mexico next and I know you spend a good amount of time down there. And if you are back in San Diego sometime, please let me know.

The weird thing is that more of my "traveling friends," people with whom I have become good friends on the road, are Canadian than American. I think they are more eager to escape those winters . . .

Kramer
Actually they are all newly rich. The C$ is at US$98.5 up from $86,5 on June 30th last year (just did my income tax for 2009).

We were doing home swaps to San Diego in May (the gray in May). Now we are here in PV until June 1st. And we are also newly rich although we bought this condo the last time that the C$ was at par in November 2007. RE prices here are in USD.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

my snowbird neighbours in Fort Myers are all Canadian or American north of 40 degrees.

then there is the shovelling of my driveway

not!

maybe there are more Canadians these days travelling because of the dollar and feeling cocky re how the crisis played out, whereas Americans are still under pressure

we may be inflating our bubble now, with real estate being up 18% over the last 12 months
Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
...spent a year researching and hanging out on the Americans In Panama forum....
Can you post a link to this forum? I Googled Americans In Panama forum but did not find anything that looked relevant (lots of pages trying to sell me real estate though).

Thanks.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Can you post a link to this forum? I Googled Americans In Panama forum but did not find anything that looked relevant (lots of pages trying to sell me real estate though).

Thanks.
this is the spot

americans_in_panama : Americans Living in Panama

you have to join to participate in discussions

I also stumbled on this

http://www.amsoc.org/

Boquete appears to be the main concentration of ex pats

Boquete, ChiriquÃ* - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from what I gathered, main challenge is that you have to be the sort of person or couple that is comfortable with third world conditions (at least outside the gate, in large parts of the country) and very shaky institutional reliability.

if you live for the climate and nature and simple living, not keeping anything around that is more than basic, assuming many items will have to be replaced due to petty theft, rent your accommodation, you will be fine. take cash out of the bank machine as you need it.

eating out and alcohol are very cheap, especially South American wines.

learning spanish seems to be a big advantage.

this is what I remember from trolling the forum for a year

someone who has actually been there or lived there would be a much better source, obviously
Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks. I had not found this one. (I didn't think to check the Yahoo! groups.) And, it does look interesting.

Quote:
if you live for the climate and nature and simple living, not keeping anything around that is more than basic, assuming many items will have to be replaced due to petty theft, rent your accommodation, you will be fine. take cash out of the bank machine as you need it.

eating out and alcohol are very cheap, especially South American wines.
This rings true from what I've heard from other sources; and, it sounds like what I am indeed looking for, at least for a while.

Quote:
learning spanish seems to be a big advantage.
This has been on my to do list for quite some time. I may start looking for an immersion program in Panama for this fall.

Thanks again.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

my other thoughts...

- tidal flow is apparently incredible there...if you are on the coast
- Panama west coast beaches face south due to Panama's east west orientation, vs many beaches in Costa Rica...given the proximity to the equator and being at sea level, this can be uncomfortable
- property rights in many rural areas are iffy and a crap shoot - take especial care to ensure no-one has squatting rights on or anywhere near your property, if you are foolish enough to purchase property
- if you are single, "dating" an educated Panamanian girl is possible but tricky, a peasant girl is hazardous, a Columbian import downright crazy (heed - smart people learn from their mistakes, wise people learn from the mistakes of others!)
- there are two kinds of ex-pats in Panama, those that have a pension or independent income, and those trying to scrape by (beware of the latter)