Retiring to Central America

Thanks. I had not found this one. (I didn't think to check the Yahoo! groups.) And, it does look interesting.

if you live for the climate and nature and simple living, not keeping anything around that is more than basic, assuming many items will have to be replaced due to petty theft, rent your accommodation, you will be fine. take cash out of the bank machine as you need it.

eating out and alcohol are very cheap, especially South American wines.

This rings true from what I've heard from other sources; and, it sounds like what I am indeed looking for, at least for a while.

learning spanish seems to be a big advantage.

This has been on my to do list for quite some time. I may start looking for an immersion program in Panama for this fall.

Thanks again.

my other thoughts...

- tidal flow is apparently incredible there...if you are on the coast
- Panama west coast beaches face south due to Panama's east west orientation, vs many beaches in Costa Rica...given the proximity to the equator and being at sea level, this can be uncomfortable
- property rights in many rural areas are iffy and a crap shoot - take especial care to ensure no-one has squatting rights on or anywhere near your property, if you are foolish enough to purchase property
- if you are single, "dating" an educated Panamanian girl is possible but tricky, a peasant girl is hazardous, a Columbian import downright crazy (heed - smart people learn from their mistakes, wise people learn from the mistakes of others!)
- there are two kinds of ex-pats in Panama, those that have a pension or independent income, and those trying to scrape by (beware of the latter)

Back
Top Bottom