Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
Well, heck. Don't mean to get off topic, but I don't know how to embed a video so it plays in the thread. Tried a couple of things, but the best I can do is that link above. Tried searching and FAQ's, but couldn't find the way to do this here. I'm probably over thinking this. Any advice would be appreciated (don't want to keep editing to experiment further)
This thread will show you how to upload a video New Feature: Videos

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I'm not all that concerned about a walkable neighborhood, because my guess is that I'm going to lose my ability to walk very far before I lose my ability to drive. Now, I don't want to have to drive 20 miles just to get to the nearest Piggly Wiggly, like some of my relatives down in Appalachia. But I'm pretty happy where I am. There's a Safeway, Giant, Shoppers Food Warehouse, and Superfresh all within maybe 3 miles. Several gas stations. And a couple large shopping malls within 10 miles.

It's less hassle for me to hop in the car and drive the 2 miles to Giant, get my groceries, come home, and park right at the door to unload, than it is for one of my friends in DC, who might ride his bike the one mile to Whole Paycheck -er, Whole Foods, pay twice as much for his groceries, and then risk his life and limb trying to balance those bags on the handlebars of his bike. Or, if he decides to drive, go get the car, most likely lose his parking spot, battle traffic, pay for parking, battle traffic back, hunt around for a parking spot, and then shuffle all those groceries back to his condo.

Now, it is nice being able to walk to a corner cafe, restaurant, etc. That's a luxury I don't have here in the burbs. I think the nearest place I can go to get food is the mini-mart at the Crown gas station, which is about a mile and a half away. Not the classiest place in the world...

Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think it is mostly a matter of taste and what someone likes. Even expensive fully urban neighborhoods have more violent crime than an expensive suburb. But not necessarily enough crime to make all people prefer to move to the suburbs. The lifestyle is completely different. I think the two most residentially dense districts in Seattle are #1 Capitol Hill, and #2 Ballard. Downtown has more and more residents, typically rich or poor. Ballard has greatly changed over the past 20 years, undergoing a multi-family building boom. It has much less diversity than Capitol Hill and especially the surroundings areas to capitol Hill, and Ballard also has much less crime. people who like walkable living but maybe less intense than downtown or Capitol Hill may prefer Ballard.

I've just finished 2 years with no car, and basically I rarely even ride buses any longer, I mostly walk. The Pike Place Market and central downtown and 95% of the big hospitals, a large university and a very large Community College are all less than a 30' walk from my home. A Lake Washington Swimming beach is about 45' for me, less for my sons, but all these destinations also have good bus service. When I was looking around I looked at communities a little farther out, but decided that I want to be able to go places whenever I want, and not need to plan my day around bus service., wanting to eat mostly at home, etc. I can go home for lunch or dinner, and then go out again without losing too much time or getting worn out. And parking downtown or on Capitol Hill is very expensive, and central Ballard is getting there too.

Clearly many people feel the same way, as rents in these central communities have grown rapidly, much more rapidly than surrounding areas. I am not going to walk home from down on the waterfront at midnight, but I also don't have to.

Nevertheless, many people would not be happy here. That is why god made suburbs.

Ha
Old 08-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Huston55 - didn't you post you were moving to Marin sometime in the next year? It is going to be hard to leave those sq ft prices behind.
Yep, moving to Marin early next year.

If we buy, we'd have to settle for 5X the price or ~20% of the space, or some combo of the two.

Actually, we plan to rent, which lowers the multiplier a bit. But, we will still move into a smaller place to defray cost.

Fortunately, there are just two of us...and a little Corgi. <[,.=.,] So, we don't need much space.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Yep, moving to Marin early next year.

If we buy, we'd have to settle for 5X the price or ~20% of the space, or some combo of the two.

Actually, we plan to rent, which lowers the multiplier a bit. But, we will still move into a smaller place to defray cost.

Fortunately, there are just two of us...and a little Corgi. <[,.=.,] So, we don't need much space.
Renting is probably the most cost effective financial move in the current market here, especially with housing being in a likely bubble again.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #46

I grew up urban. The noise and crime drove me away. We did like being able to walk places. I miss that.

I think about it now. I'd miss my garden -- but maybe not if I can find a place with a terrace or patio.

I am freaked out about bedbugs. I'd rather not share a wall with someone's bugs. Did that early in life and it was ugly. Nothing like getting your hoarder-neighbor's roaches.

I'll still consider it though as we eventually transition from our 3 story home.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'd rather not share a wall with someone's bugs. Did that early in life and it was ugly. Nothing like getting your hoarder-neighbor's roaches.
Ah, yes I have "fond" memories of same. It's the reason I'll live in a permanently parked travel trailer before I live in an apartment again.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

The problem with aging in the suburbs is what happens when you can no longer drive safely. My father had three car accidents in his late 80's, all of which he recognized were his fault, before we could talk him into giving up his license and moving into town. He can now walk to restaurants and supermarkets and take buses elsewhere. He wouldn't be able to keep his house in the suburbs without being able to drive. It's a mistake to assume you will be to go on driving indefinitely.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in Central MA and will be focusing on easy access to bikeways. They give you easy access to things. You can be 5+ miles outside of town and pay less rent and have all the benefits of both worlds. It is also a trend now to make urban area's more walker and biker friendly.

I grew up in the suburbs of NYC where everything was in easy walking distance. Lots of nice parks, public transportation etc. What I remember is no connections -everyone was too busy or just renting for a few years then gone. The constant noise and poor air quality really got old.

For us a college town(not city) or something 5 to 10 miles out of a city works best.

Check this out
http://www.topretirements.com/blog/g...Jxt.oHMllBaAA4
Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
The problem with aging in the suburbs is what happens when you can no longer drive safely. My father had three car accidents in his late 80's, all of which he recognized were his fault, before we could talk him into giving up his license and moving into town. He can now walk to restaurants and supermarkets and take buses elsewhere. He wouldn't be able to keep his house in the suburbs without being able to drive. It's a mistake to assume you will be to go on driving indefinitely.
It is also a mistake to think you can walk indefinitely. Especially moderate distances like a few blocks down to the restaurant.

My dad's ability to do both went out about the same time in the late 80s.

Just sayin'
Old 08-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

We eventually want to move to a 55+ community with bike trails and bus service. In California the housing prices are much less at the 55+ communities we've looked at because they aren't being bid up by younger tech workers or foreign investors, so they are islands of relatively reasonably priced housing inside high demand bubble areas.

Cheap housing, great locations, lock and go condo, bike trails, bus service, someone else does the grounds and exterior maintenance, all sorts of on site clubs, pools and facilities and we can age in place. So far we have not found a better option long term housing option that suits us.

We have some elderly neighbors living in houses that are deteriorating that they could sell up and buy an updated condo for 1/3 to 1/4 the price in an active senior community. It seems like such a better life to us I don't know why they stay alone in big house they can't seem to keep up. Every once in a while one dies or goes to a senior care home and a flipper or younger couple comes in and makes the house a show place.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We eventually want to move to a 55+ community with bike trails and bus service. In California the housing prices are much less at the 55+ communities we've looked at because they aren't being bid up by younger tech workers or foreign investors, so they are islands of relatively reasonably priced housing inside high demand bubble areas.
... (stuff deleted) ... and a flipper or younger couple comes in and makes the house a show place.
daylatedollarshort, can you share more details on what you found. I had assumed the 55+ would be the same prices as the rest of real estate in Bay Area. Or PM if you prefer that. A few names/locations and approx rates would be invaluable. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelville View Post
daylatedollarshort, can you share more details on what you found. I had assumed the 55+ would be the same prices as the rest of real estate in Bay Area. Or PM if you prefer that. A few names/locations and approx rates would be invaluable. Thanks.
+1

Also interested in what you found.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

We are looking at a community of places that used to be called Leisureworld. There is one in Nor Cal called Rossmoor. We looked at the condos there and really liked what we saw so far. We went once with a realtor and once for an estate sale. You can check out the prices online and then look at prices at the surrounding communities. The HOA fees are high but we would save money on recreation and maybe could go down to one car and of course there are a lot of savings from downsizing in general.

In S Cal there are two places formerly Leisureworld - Laguna Woods and Seal Beach. If you do a search there is a long thread on this forum with input from the locals. We are going to check out those in person the fall, but are intrigued with the prices especially of Laguna Woods compared to Laguna Beach right next door. There are also some youtube video tours to look at for Laguna Woods homes and models.

There were some nice 55+ places we looked in Sonoma County but so far the ones we saw looked a bit rural for us.

Here is my original Laguna Woods thread -

Laguna Woods (Leisure World) Anyone?

(I should add by lower cost I mean lower cost compared to the surrounding communities, maybe still expensive compared to 55+ villages in lower cost of living states like Texas or Florida.)

60 Minutes had a recent special on aging that highlighted residents of Laguna Woods -

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/want-to-live-to-90/
Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, daylatedollarshort. As you pointed out, HOA fees are indeed steep.
Condo prices in the NorCal (Walnut Creek) area seem all over the place.
Walnut Creek 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms Condos For Sale — Trulia.com
Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #56

Wow. Looking at this and your old thread withe pics of Walnut Creek condos is like a trip in a time machine...back 30 years. DW and lived in WC in the mid-80s, and used to drive past Rossmoor all the time. I'm not sure I'd want to move back to the East Bay but, there are a lot of worse places.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been doing a similar 55+ search for my brother and ran across The Colony in Murrieta, CA.

Single family homes in the 200s-low 300s, gated, golf course, $200 HOA, with several homes for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I have been doing a similar 55+ search for my brother and ran across The Colony in Murrieta, CA.

Single family homes in the 200s-low 300s, gated, golf course, $200 HOA, with several homes for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Those are excellent prices for CA coastal metro area living.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Murrietta, CA is inland and not near the coast plus it gets hot in the summer out there. It is forecast to be 100 today.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Murrietta, CA is inland and not near the coast plus it gets hot in the summer out there. It is forecast to be 100 today.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
It is not Central Valley or Sierras.