Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelville View Post
Thanks, daylatedollarshort. As you pointed out, HOA fees are indeed steep.
Condo prices in the NorCal (Walnut Creek) area seem all over the place.
Walnut Creek 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms Condos For Sale — Trulia.com
You can ignore the goofy prices on anything that says 'in forclosure'. It's not going to sell for that price.

Also, a bunch of those 'condos' are converted apartment buildings. No frills like insulation, soundproofing, or appliances better than the finest 'contractor grade'. Many aren't actually in the walkable 'urban' environment we've been talking about. It's a long, long walk to anything retail from some of those Rossmoor condos or the stuff on the east side of Walnut Creek. (There's a whole neighborhood that looks like it is right next to retail centers, but it's a long walk north or south, over, and back to get there.)

The variations in quality and location explain a good bit of the price variation.

Not that I've been looking or anything...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just read a study about future trends in real estate in the past two or three weeks that completely refutes the popular idea that boomers are moving to urban centers en masse. I'll try and find it and post the link.

I have lived in one of only three walkable urban cities in Southern California for more than a few decades (but not for too much longer). If you've lived in suburban areas for most of your life and are thinking of moving to a central city core there are several things to consider:

1) in one way or another, they're just too trendy/sexy/crazy/cool for you (each city has its own brand of what's cool);
2) as was posted earlier, they are very noisy;
3) they are stimulation rich, in that you will almost never get respite unless you leave the city;
4) the pace of life is extraordinary--due to the population density, buying milk can be an ordeal (even though you walked just across the street to get it);
5) sure there's lots of culture, but you'll brave lots of crowds/lines to participate in most of it;
6) your personal "space" will be invaded on a regular basis;
7) driving in urban areas can drive you crazy.

It might be a good idea to ask yourself how you'll feel at 75 living in such an environment. Personally, I plan to test drive my retirement location (which won't be in an urban area) by renting for a few months before making a commitment.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Murrietta, CA is inland and not near the coast plus it gets hot in the summer out there. It is forecast to be 100 today.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yep, it's hot today, but as all my Texans tell me, when I point out their hot, humid weather, that is what pools and A/C are for. I am using both today.

There is also a nice breeze that blows through, starting in early afternoon, so that it's refreshing to get out of the pool.

A drive over to Carlsbad or Oceanside will get you the ocean breezes. It's a nice day trip.

The Colony has a pool, clubhouse, hairdresser, a golf course, green belts, and is near plenty of shopping and medical facilities, including Loma Linda University's.

I hear people, including my brother, talking about Palm Springs and La Quinta as desirable, so I mentioned The Colony here since it is not as hot, closer to the ocean, and still relatively affordable for CA for someone who may be considering a 55+ community.

I have been very pleasantly surprised over the past couple of months at our new area.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
You can ignore the goofy prices on anything that says 'in forclosure'. It's not going to sell for that price.

Also, a bunch of those 'condos' are converted apartment buildings. No frills like insulation, soundproofing, or appliances better than the finest 'contractor grade'. Many aren't actually in the walkable 'urban' environment we've been talking about. It's a long, long walk to anything retail from some of those Rossmoor condos or the stuff on the east side of Walnut Creek. (There's a whole neighborhood that looks like it is right next to retail centers, but it's a long walk north or south, over, and back to get there.)

The variations in quality and location explain a good bit of the price variation.

Not that I've been looking or anything...
At Rossmoor the shopping is not easily walkable, but they have shuttle buses to a walkable downtown area. The clubs and facilities within the community looked like they would be walkable or at least bikeable or golf cartable. There were very pretty views and the grounds were well landscaped.

For the crime rates, amenities, on site security, landscaping, golf courses, pools, shuttle service, etc we have not found anything for similar prices in Nor Cal.

I am open to suggestions. We go to open house once a month or so to 55+ and all age condos and townhouses just to see what our choices are.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #65

You may not want to retire downtown in Jacksonville, Fl. Most people who work in town leave as soon as possible after hours. It is too dangerous at night, not convenient, and there is very little in the way of shopping anymore. Most businesses moved out decades ago. Violent crime is down for the past 2 years and is only 33% HIGHER than the national average. It has only done a little better lately but for 11 years it was the murder capital of Florida. It lost out to Miami a couple of years ago. It also scores high for rape and assault.

The city has been trying for a few decades to reverse the trend and tried various incentives with no success. I've lived in the county for almost 5 decades. There have been quite a few changes and I have a good idea of what parts of town to avoid but that would usually be true for anyone who has lived in/near a city for a few years.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote