Join Early Retirement Today

Returning to work after two and half months...
Old 01-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Returning to work after two and half months...

Well went to the surgeon on Tuesday and he's happy with my progress; I've got his 'ok to return to work' letter attached to the refrigerator. I had the TKR on 11/19 and I feel pretty good - still another 4 weeks of PT very early in the morning. Going to ask for Friday's from home for a while.

The Mrs takes pleasure in reminding me that I've taken to having an afternoon nap on the couch or in the recliner and I'm going to be tired working a full day. I remind her PT can be quite stressful (picture yourself lying belly down on a table with your legs dangling off with a 10lb weight attached to you affected leg) at the end of eight minutes I at my limit. Yeah there's more torture but my point is you'd take a nap too after being worked over.

July is the 'pull the trigger any time I want date' I'll be 62. I wasn't happy with the roughly $1,700 a month health insurance tab but I've learned if I minimize my withdrawals from the taxable accounts I can lessen my MAGI and get Uncle Sam to supplement the cost.

The question: is it easier to go to work when you don't have to or is it harder?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely easier.... and more fun. My attitude changed and became what I would describe as diplomatically irreverent. I found that I could feel free to say what everyone was thinking but were afraid to say politically... like 'Boss, this acquisition that you are so hot about is a bad idea because..." and co-workers appreciated it... as did the boss (eventually).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Easier, and more fun. Then again, I only work 2 days a week.

The psychological advantage seems to be, that I am no longer seen as competition or oversight, and thus people are simply glad to have me around to help.

I'm careful to get up often for short walks (sitting steadily at the desk can be bad) and I take a nap when I get home.

Good luck!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

The question: is it easier to go to work when you don't have to or is it harder?
I used to wonder this for a long time. A couple years ago I was capable of RE but was not at the point where I felt comfortable doing it. That did not help much. Now that I am even more FI and a year away from RE I find that there is still some of both but on balance easier. I have less concern about the long term implications of events.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #5

Definitely easier to go to work, but it might be a bit harder to push through the tough times and do a good job when you know you don't really need to be "killing" yourself.

I had a year and a half of no work at all and just recently took a bit of contracting work because I had an unexpected $10k expense and wanted to build up my cash fund again without selling in a down market. I'm also volunteering at the local astronomical observatory and helping with some research projects. There's no pay, but the coffee conversation is great.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Definitely easier. You develop a whole different attitude when you have your DPMO* hat. One guy I worked with even ordered a baseball hat with that on the front.

* Don't P*ss Me Off
Old 01-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Definitely easier.... and more fun. My attitude changed and became what I would describe as diplomatically irreverent. I found that I could feel free to say what everyone was thinking but were afraid to say politically... like 'Boss, this acquisition that you are so hot about is a bad idea because..." and co-workers appreciated it... as did the boss (eventually).
I did that when I "had" to work, or at least thought I did, and the Boss (1 of 2 owners) decided I should be included in the next round of layoffs.
He was an idiot that did odd stuff , like buy a used toilet for the washroom to save $50. Which is silly considering they made about 2-3M profit ea year.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote