Join Early Retirement Today

Road trip photography?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Road trip photography?

We're planning to retire soon. I haven't seen most of America!
I also have a passion for photography. Any recent Ret. folks in this forum doing road trips as major activity?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We do a lot of road trips by car now that we have time to spare. We find it a far better way to travel than flying. You can set your schedule, see a lot more places and be flexible with your destinations. So far, we have stuck to major highways on our trips, but plan to do more secondary road travel next year. We also plan to add camping.

We use hotwire a lot for hotel reservations. A GPS keeps us from getting lost & helps us find the nearest coffee shop. Accuweather lets us know what to expect. Yelp & urban spoon gives us recommendations on restaurants. Facebook & Picasa let us share our photographs & comments while on the road. Gasbuddy finds the lowest cost gas.

This is a great country to see at road level.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have to get started on creating a nice photo book from our recent trip to Utah. I'll use mypublisher and give the result to Jenny for Christmas.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Walkininwood has it right.

In the past 16 months we've made road trips to Quebec and Montreal; Moosehead Lake and Bar Harbor Maine; Chicago and Pittsburgh.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

You know, you can combine more than road trips with a passion for photography. Perhaps join a photography club or group. Not only would this be a way to show your work but to travel with the group to nearby locations or to learn about other locations. I belong to five such groups, one of which I help lead, and I joined the others for many different reasons. And groups may expose you to other types of photography such as portrait, macro, black and white, street photography, etc. It will likely expose you to different processes like HDR, plug-ins, etc. Retirement is a great time to take photography to a different level.

Me, I am retired and like to travel, take road trips, and photograph - my favorite subjects are the social landscape, street photography, and events. I have some of my work here: Travels with Charlie