Join Early Retirement Today

Roll-Top Desk
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Roll-Top Desk

Since I don't use my office anymore, the computer use area has moved downstairs. A problem is that bills, printouts, discs, etc. accumulate around the computer, and things look messy. We often have to move this stuff off the dining room table to eat breakfast.

At the same time, we've always had a bench in our front hall, but we almost never actually sit on it, it's just used for "putting stuff."

I think I've solved both these problems by buying this roll-top desk from Craigslist ($350):

When things get too messy looking, I'll just closed the top.

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like a nice, sturdy desk. A great deal for $350.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful piece!

Is it a bona fide antique or a reproduction?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Guessing repro. I say that because it has a place for power cords at the back. A look at drawer construction would give a more definitive answer-not that it matters. Good score, T-Al. Have thought about that option for myself.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

Appears nearly identical to mine, including the size. I paid $225 for mine in 1973, and a pencil note on the bottom of one of the drawers indicates it was made in 1915. Mine only has one interior drawer on each side, and the cubbyholes go all the way across above the three drawers, but otherwise they are extremely similar.

The tambour (sliding cover) gave out on mine a few years ago, so I had to replace its fabric backing. There are kits you can buy to do that, but boy, what a job that was.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very nice solution for your computer stuff and sounds like you got a good deal. I love roll-top desks!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think I've solved both these problems by buying this roll-top desk from Craigslist ($350):
As I remember, you have only a small car. How do you transport stuff like this?

Ha
Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice looking desk. Always liked roll tops. I understand the problem with stuff especially paper stuff. But not willing to give up the hard copy route yet. Just spent part of last night burning papers I did not want to throw in the trash.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

What a terrific desk! I love the fact that it has so many drawers for stuff.

As you point out you have the roll top in case the mess gets out of hand. I think you may find that you also generate less mess with the hutch area and so many nooks and cubbyholes to contain it. The desk that I bought in June (picture below) has a hutch with a few such places and it has made a world of difference for me.

I really love having the surface area on top of the hutch for stuff, and I notice you have a similar spot on your rolltop desk. I have my desktop monitor, router, modem, speakers, and a pencil holder there and it keeps them out of the way.

In my case, the desk is in my home office which obviously has a door that closes, so it doesn't have to stay neat. Surprisingly, it is neat as a pin and that makes working there so pleasant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desk2.jpg (29.0 KB, 5 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Al, as the owner of a very large rolltop desk, I'm here to tell you that they collect so much stuff on top that you can't close the rolltop. It's sort of like a suitcase. Maybe if you get two people shoving stuff back under the third might be able to slam the top down.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Al, as the owner of a very large rolltop desk, I'm here to tell you that they collect so much stuff on top that you can't close the rolltop. It's sort of like a suitcase. Maybe if you get two people shoving stuff back under the third might be able to slam the top down.
Yep.

90% of my posts are from my desktop on my rolltop . I have to constantly battle the accumulation of mail, 'important papers' and assorted other stuff that builds up every few days. We have a cleaning lady who shows up every two weeks, and I make it a point to sort through and throw away enough to close the lid before she arrives.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yes it is a reproduction -- medium quality. The big wood pieces are actually fiberboard but with thick oak veneers.

We have a Tacoma and put it in that with the owner's help. Then, when we got home I partially disassembled it in the truck bed, and Lena and I were able to get it inside.

As I knew before I bought it, the laptop can't open all the way unless it protrudes off the front of the desk. That works OK, but if I find it annoying, I'll cut away the middle cubbies, which will solve the problem.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My desk was a mess before I went paperless. I like to keep my desktop clutter-free now:

Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
My desk was a mess before I went paperless. I like to keep my desktop clutter-free now:

I don't think anyone actually lives there...
Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't think anyone actually lives there...

I used to have a notoriously messy office/desk (finding anything always required some excavation). But retirement seems to be bringing out the zen in me.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nice desk, FD! Now if you just had a hutch.... Oh well. It still looks neat, even without one.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:

A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

For me, the reasons for something being left out where it doesn't belong:

1. I'm too lazy to put it away.

2. There isn't a place designated for it.

3. I'm worried that if I put it away I'll forget about it (e.g. Document that needs to be filled out).
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:

I used to have a notoriously messy office/desk (finding anything always required some excavation). But retirement seems to be bringing out the zen in me.
In addition to bringing out the zen, it also answers the question "What do I do all day?"
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote