RV novice-point me in the right direction

I looked into this idea, purchased a used, cheap, camper and gave it a try I discovered the following.

> It's work - setting up and tearing down camp is work. You can minimize it but be aware that the black water tank gets flushed before the grey one.
> It's not as cheap as you may think. Camp site prices have climbed and are now close to chain hotel prices.
> You may not get a great camp site - being stuck next to others that maybe unpleasant can be unpredictable
> RV's and trucks get 15-20mpg - so driving around is expensive
> People who live in RV's that i know prefer 5th wheels. Freeing up a vehicle when camped.
> RV's need maintenance just like a house so expect to have to fix stuff in tight spaces

If you want to really try this I would suggest renting an RV. I know someone who did this to travel the country and had a blast. Once they were done they handed in the RV and had a whole new perspective.

Just my 2 cents

> It's not as cheap as you may think. Camp site prices have climbed and are now close to chain hotel prices.
You must have some cheap chain hotel prices your area (they are ~$125/night around here). We're not averaging anywhere close to that to camp - less than $30/night for full-hookup RV sites. The most expensive place we've stayed was just over $40/night.

> You may not get a great camp site - being stuck next to others that maybe unpleasant can be unpredictable.
Agreed. In that respect it is exactly like staying in a hotel.

If you mean while driving/towing the RV, I think you are being far too optimistic. My MPG experience with owning both a large motor home and a 5th wheel is about half what you state.

> People who live in RV's that i know prefer 5th wheels. Freeing up a vehicle when camped.
I agree with you that 5th wheels are preferred by full timers, provided they don't want to relocate frequently. Those who travel more often prefer motor homes.

> RV's need maintenance just like a house so expect to have to fix stuff in tight spaces
Absolutely. Plus, dragging your living quarters down the highway tends to bump, jar, loosen, and break more stuff than when standing still. RV's do take some serious TLC to keep them fully functional.

If you want to really try this I would suggest renting an RV. I know someone who did this to travel the country and had a blast. Once they were done they handed in the RV and had a whole new perspective.
We'd like to try this, but I haven't found anywhere nearby (Southern Ohio) that rents Class B RVs. I'm guessing there must be some sort of individual/by owner rental site, but I've found a few region-specific sites only (not our region, unfortunately). Maybe Craigslist will have something eventually, or we can place a "Rental Wanted" ad and see what crops up.
The Class B rentals I've found from other places seem to run about $125 per day, with just 100 miles/day free. That would be okay for a "try this and see if it's for us" test, but if we decide we want to travel more than a few times per year, then buying a used unit starts to make sense. Maybe rent it out (?)

The Class B rentals I've found from other places seem to run about $125 per day, with just 100 miles/day free. That would be okay for a "try this and see if it's for us" test, but if we decide we want to travel more than a few times per year, then buying a used unit starts to make sense. Maybe rent it out (?)

You really should do the "try this" test first. Last year, my BIL decided to fulfill a dream he'd long had of traveling out west in an RV. He talked my 82-year old Dad into accompanying him (my sister still works FT). BIL drove long-haul trucks for years and was a driving instructor for a major store chain. He can drive anything or fix anything, so this was not a case of "Clark Griswold goes on an RV Trip".

We saw them on their way out from SC to the West when they stayed for a couple of nights. They'd already had an unscheduled stop when something major failed- were fortunate to find a very good repair place on the way. BIL was already getting frustrated with the hassles of getting everything hooked up just so in order for the electricity, etc. to work. (Sorry I can't give you more details- I was at work when they were dealing with this but DH said BIL was at his wit's end.) They did get out West, they saw lots of lovely scenery.

They came home early- Dad was suffering so badly from altitude sickness that he flew home from Wyoming (got better rapidly after getting to sea level). BIL continued through a few more stops, then headed home early, too. He returned the RV to its owners with great relief and has never brought up the idea of buying an RV again. My sister told our father, "Thanks, Dad!"

You really should do the "try this" test first. Last year, my BIL decided to fulfill a dream he'd long had of traveling out west in an RV. He talked my 82-year old Dad into accompanying him (my sister still works FT). BIL drove long-haul trucks for years and was a driving instructor for a major store chain. He can drive anything or fix anything, so this was not a case of "Clark Griswold goes on an RV Trip".

We saw them on their way out from SC to the West when they stayed for a couple of nights. They'd already had an unscheduled stop when something major failed- were fortunate to find a very good repair place on the way. BIL was already getting frustrated with the hassles of getting everything hooked up just so in order for the electricity, etc. to work. (Sorry I can't give you more details- I was at work when they were dealing with this but DH said BIL was at his wit's end.) They did get out West, they saw lots of lovely scenery.

They came home early- Dad was suffering so badly from altitude sickness that he flew home from Wyoming (got better rapidly after getting to sea level). BIL continued through a few more stops, then headed home early, too. He returned the RV to its owners with great relief and has never brought up the idea of buying an RV again. My sister told our father, "Thanks, Dad!"

Different strokes, I guess. We delight in our travel trailer and don't find it too much work or expense. We have travelled all over the place with the trailer and find it to be a super inexpensive way to travel in comfort.

We spent this weekend in a state park RV spot on the beach for $24 a night. Not a lot of beach front hotels for $24 a night.

Different strokes, I guess. We delight in our travel trailer and don't find it too much work or expense. We have travelled all over the place with the trailer and find it to be a super inexpensive way to travel in comfort.
I do not have much trouble with my class C either. Yes, it requires some maintenance and I have done quite a bit of upgrade and addition to improve its handling when towing a dinghy. But for road trips and treks, I love not having to look for a motel, or to find a place to eat everyday. A bad RV park or campground is not going to traumatize me like a bad motel. And when we dine at a restaurant, it is because we want to, not because we have no other choice.

We built our own camper...
Nice! Now knowing a bit more about the construction of RVs, I am sure you can put in a lot more insulation for comfort when the weather is less than perfect (but at the price of a smaller living space!).

I see that you have a big platform there in the back. I would prefer a few more feet of living space.

Nice! Now knowing a bit more about the construction of RVs, I am sure you can put in a lot more insulation for comfort when the weather is less than perfect (but at the price of a smaller living space!).

I see that you have a big platform there in the back. I would prefer a few more feet of living space.

Well, we are building a garage pod that goes behind the camper on the part of the platform you see. It won't add more living space but it will add a lot of storage plus shelter for the motorcycles. We are also putting aluminum storage boxes under the truck on both sides. It is really a lot like a class C except with a better frame and load capacity than most (19,500 GVWR where most C's are built on something around 14,000 GVWR).

Where we landed on this topic. We sold our camper and decided to do the country via our Prius which gets 50mpg(less with all the stuff on it). We carry the kayaks on the roof and bikes on a bike rack in the rear. We have one suitcase each and our backpacks with camping stuff. We have an Insta-tent gazebo(Screened room), portable changeling room w/ porta potty and two camping hammocks that can be used as bivy's. The whole site takes less then 30m to setup.

This way if we see a nice campground we can stop and stay the night. If the area has other outdoor activities we can do them as well.

Also on pricing that I mentioned. For example, In BoothBay ME, an area that we like, you can get a campsite w/ hookups for $45/night with a 3 night min stay. A hotel in that same area is $79 per night with no commitment.

We like the flexibility and that our solution provides. Also our $ is not tied up in a RV which we use for fun.

I am not suggesting living this way - but we could travel for months like this.

Did you try posting your request on craigslist. Lots of people rent their personal RV's - I would just make sure your insurance is updated.

Again - just my two cents - everyone is different. We have definitely landed on the flexibility and cash is king side. Owning little and renting what we need when we need it.

Cheers and good luck

Single night stay on beach site at Belfair state park with full hookups: $41

Single night stay in Super 8 in Bremerton $77

View from beach site:
view1.jpg

View from Super 8:
view2.jpg

I was speaking to a friend yesterday and he posed a new (to me) approach for buying a used Class C motorhome. It has some appeal but not sure it would work for everyone.

My friend was traveling though Orlando, FL and noticed an advertisement for used RV's at Cruise America. At approximately 100 - 125k miles on the odometer Cruise America takes the RV out of rental service, removes all exterior Cruise America decals, puts new carpet in the RV, new upholstery if needed and does their multi-point inspection to ensure the RV is in good condition. The used RV comes with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. Granted the 12k miles would be used in probably a 6 month period if traveling around the country.

Bottom line, used 23 ft. Class C motorhome, with warranty for less than $20,000.

Might work for some people.

Yeah but, but, but...... the view from Super 8 is not that great..but what about the view of an EXPENSIVE RV sitting next to your house for 48 weeks of the year, making 500 plus dollar a month payments PLUS insurance...while the grass grows around the wheels and it depreciates 1000 dollars a month...then it won't start, the systems don't work, the tires are getting old ( LEARN about RV tires BEFORE you buy!!!!) and need to be replaced at 200 dollars plus a piece..

I'd get a hotel for 200 dollars a night on the beach.

You'd come out WAY ahead. Go home and live life and don't have to look at a depreciating vehicle for 11 months of the year. ANd forget about selling it. They depreciate WORSE than cars.

I wanted a travel trailer..wanted that dream....... til I went on Airstream and Forest River sites and see what those folks go thru and spend to keep running....I think I'm changing my mind set.

Yeah but, but, but...... the view from Super 8 is not that great..but what about the view of an EXPENSIVE RV sitting next to your house for 48 weeks of the year, making 500 plus dollar a month payments PLUS insurance...while the grass grows around the wheels and it depreciates 1000 dollars a month...then it won't start, the systems don't work, the tires are getting old ( LEARN about RV tires BEFORE you buy!!!!) and need to be replaced at 200 dollars plus a piece..

I'd get a hotel for 200 dollars a night on the beach.

You'd come out WAY ahead. Go home and live life and don't have to look at a depreciating vehicle for 11 months of the year. ANd forget about selling it. They depreciate WORSE than cars.

I wanted a travel trailer..wanted that dream....... til I went on Airstream and Forest River sites and see what those folks go thru and spend to keep running....I think I'm changing my mind set.

If you are doing it that way, you are doing it wrong. My costs look something like this:

In 2008 I bought my trailer new for 16k out the door. If I were to do it again, I would buy a 4 or 5 year old unit used at a fraction of the price, since this is the most expensive way to do it. After almost 7 seasons it might be worth 7 or 8k. It costs me roughly $100/year to insure, but I recently dropped the trailer insurance. Maintenance is $150 to winterize/dewinterize, and I have had to replace the battery and buy a few tubes of self leveling caulk. Call it $200 so far. Average campsite fee for us might be $25 tops, since we rarely camp in commercial campgrounds. We camp about 30 nights a year, plus the camper serves as an extra guest room, "oops we are out of X" extra stores, and an escape pod in the event of a problem requiring us to vacate the house. Looks like about $77 a night all in so far (7 seasons). I expect that as we spread the depreciation over more years the per-night number will drop.

Remind me what vacations a family of 4 plus two medium sized dogs could do for $76 a day?

Last edited:
With the exception of those who full-time, buying a RV is rarely a cost saving endeavor. RV'ing is a hobby and hobbies cost money.

Don't forget to add in the cost of removing bedbugs from your home after you have stayed in that $200 a night hotel room.

Man, Incontrol, I don't know where to begin.

We've been all through Maine and never, anywhere, have we had to do minimum stays. We can camp for free in national forests, $13-$16 primitive in state forests, $25 for electric. Our batteries in the truck camper last four nights without hitting 50%. One night plugged in charges them fully. I don't think we've EVER paid $40 for a night, and more often than not we can carry the canoe from the campsite to the water - and still see the camper.

What setup? Pull in, look at the level on the dash, maybe pull around a bit so we're not off more than half a bubble, then go in back and open the slide. Plug in if there's electric. All of five minutes. Maybe. The TC stays in the truck, unless we're there for an extended stay. Then we might take the TC ought, but doubtful. No need to. The places we want to get to can be accessed by foot, pedal or paddle. And that 4x4 diesel and TC rig will take us places trailers, fivers, and often times passenger cars won't go. Neighbors? Not all that often. Unless they're furry and four legged. We consider campgrounds a form of hell.

There's always a bathroom available within ten feet on the road. We know who's used it, and we have no bedbugs. The sheets are clean and unstained. Or at least we know stained them and with what lol. No used needles under the mattress. No fear of getting foot fungus from previous tenants in the shower. No water shoes needed. The carpets are clean.

And we don't make reservations or specific plans we head that away, maybe with a specific place to get to - eventually. That's flexibility.

I forget what all your complaints were, but I was amazed as there are simple solutions for each. But do it your way, please. More people in hotels and campgrounds with hookups mean fewer out where the real serenity is.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
From Incontrol:

I looked into this idea, purchased a used, cheap, camper and gave it a try I discovered the following.

> It's work - setting up and tearing down camp is work. You can minimize it but be aware that the black water tank gets flushed before the grey one.

"No it's not. Even if I decide to take the TC off the truck, it's easy. No hurry."

"Depends on what conveniences you must absolutely have. I've never stayed anywhere with prices near chain hotel prices."

> You may not get a great camp site - being stuck next to others that maybe unpleasant can be unpredictable

"Be more unpleasant lol. Better yet, don't go where there a great number of other people. Or other people at all. Don't go where the weekender or the vacationer goes for parties or to let the kiddies run wild. Do a little research online to find places the lame and lazy don't wish to go, because they no TV, or hookups, or even no cell service. They're generally the unpleasant ones: not those who go out looking for peace and quiet - and conveniences other than those they carry in and take back out."

"We average about 13. We don't 'drive around'. We travel and camp to get away from people and the places most people drive to. We drive a few hours, park, then we hike, paddle, bike and enjoy nature. In a day or two, we drive a few hours..."

"Some people in RVs prefer fivers. Most people I hang with wouldn't have one. What's the point in leaving your house if you're just going to live in another one? We've been home three days from the UP, and I'm ready to leave again. A friend's in Virginia at the moment, and another in Colorado - sleeping in or out of his Tacoma... Both have sent invites lol."

"We use our TC like a hard shell tent that needs no construction or taking down. Not a lot there to go wrong. The truck needs periodic maintenance and repair, as any other *shrug*. No more, no less."

"Renting first is always a good option. We didn't do that lol. We tent camped all our lives until BS went off to college. Then an older B, then our TC. Love it. Decide what you like to do, and choose the method you'd best enjoy. RVing can be done more expensively, or inexpensively, depending on your 'needs'. Or at least, your wants...

Just don't need or want much."

Www.cheaprvliving.com

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
The bedbug thing is not a joke. That's the one thing that has me considering an RV. We ran into our first bedbug situation at a hotel last year. It was not pleasant. I had to treat all our travel goods like toxic waste when we got home, and we had to decontaminate ourselves. It is a real hassle.

Our BIG problem. No place to store the RV at home.

Also, don't forget that many motels don't let you bring in dogs. If they do, it costs you.
This is a biggie. It's hard to find a place that accepts dogs to start with. If you do, expect to pay $50-$75 extra. I'm pretty darn sure they aren't doing anything special to that room after we check out with our smells- better-than-most-people 12lb poodle, but they want $75 extra just the same.

And with an RV, we could go to the big family get-together, visit with everyone at Granny's, but not take up one of her bedrooms.

Last edited:

I'd get a hotel for 200 dollars a night on the beach...

With the exception of those who full-time, buying a RV is rarely a cost saving endeavor. RV'ing is a hobby and hobbies cost money.

Make no mistake about it, an RV is expensive for people who still work and can use it only a few days out of a year. Even for retirees who use it for long trips, of course it costs a lot less just to stay home and watch the Travel channel.

Some people like this mode of travel and some don't. It is an expensive mistake to buy a new RV and find out that you belong in the latter group. Just recently, I browsed RVTrader Web site for fun, and saw a class A diesel pusher for sale at $50K, with only 11K miles on it after 12 years or so. That's sad.

We always love to travel, and did it by the fly-and-drive mode before I bought a class C. Then, I discovered that the RV allowed us to visit places that fly-and-drive would not let us see. And long road trips are so much nicer with an RV instead of staying in countryside motels and eating at hamburger joints all the time.

With a solar panel, as long as I do not need AC I can go for 3 or 4 days without hookup, and only need to visit a campground every so often to dump the tanks, take longer showers, surf the Web, check my stocks, etc... The motorhome has an onboard generator that's convenient, but it's much better if I do not need to run it.

We will still do fly-and-drive travel, but for the continental US (and Alaska too), I prefer RV'ing now as we can go for 1 or 2 months at a time.

Last edited:
Back on the OP's question about what RV to use, in his shoes, I would go with something smaller and more mobile than a big A or 5th wheel as he plans to travel full-time for only one year. One year is not a long time to travel across the US and perhaps Alaska too.

From the blogs that I have read, people who plan to full-time for many years travel slowly. They have the time, plus constantly moving is tiresome, costs money for gas and for campground fees. Hence, they usually stay at least 1 week at a commercial campground, or 1 month at a time down south in the winter. That way, they pay less with the weekly or monthly rates.

As I travel more intensively for sightseeing (I have two homes to come back to), my 25-ft class C towing a toad works out fine for us. A class A or a 5th-wheel would be way too cumbersome for me. For my travel, I can go smaller than what I have now, but definitely not larger. Somebody who is going full-time for 1 year may have a different need, as something like mine may be too confining, let alone a camper or small B.

Last edited:
I found this this morning was thinking of this post so I thought of sharing. Converting a school Bus!!!! Check out what this amazing family did. And its inexpensive.

Simply b Photos » The Big Blue Bus Tour

Enjoy!

A couple of decades ago, I had a neighbor that converted and re-sold old school buses into campers like in the article. Not fancy, but functional.

Back
Top Bottom