Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2018, 11:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My UHaul camper is 10 feet plus 3 feet of tongue. Sometimes I camp in a tent site when all others are taken.
Is the UHaul camper a rental? Or, is that something you can buy?

Quote:
I agree. There seems to be no middle ground. Either mass produced junk or very high priced specialty models.
There’s a few things with no middle ground. My pet peeve is air travel. Basically, there’s either coach (crap) or first class. Doesn’t seem to be much of a market for middle ground types of products/services.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 12:01 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I bought a used Airstream Basecamp in 2018. It had leaks which DH was able to repair - and he decided to replace the floor (he likes projects) . It only sleeps 2, so that is perfect ! And it is easy to pull.

Octogirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Is the UHaul camper a rental? Or, is that something you can buy?
UHaul made them in 1985 and rented them until 1992, then sold them all to the public. Evidently not profitable to rent. A nice one like mine is worth about $7500 today. Other manufacturers still make similar ones starting at about $10K (Scamp)

Quote:
There’s a few things with no middle ground. My pet peeve is air travel. Basically, there’s either coach (crap) or first class. Doesn’t seem to be much of a market for middle ground types of products/services.
Good example. I guess we put up with it because it is just barely OK.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

If you are interested in a fiberglass camper and don't want to pop for an Oliver, the Escape made in Canada is probably the best quality in the moderate price range. There is a waiting period for delivery, but you benefit from the exchange rate. Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
Old 01-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
but the one thing I find in all my looking around online is the amount of problems/issues people have with trailers, even new trailers. You name it and I've read about it!

This is a common thing on all foras I've read. I recently bought a Tesla car. If I just read the Tesla Forum I'd never buy one. People are having all kinds of problems with theirs.

But this is perception. People having no problems with their Tesla cars won't write about it. I sure don't. So you never hear about us.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

We've been campers for 30 years, and are on our sixth trailer. Two tent campers, two fifth-wheels, and two travel trailers.

Our current is a Forest River Windjammer. Like Christine, you don't hear from us because we have few problems. We've never had serious problems with any of the campers, and we use them pretty hard. I've attached a pic of our old fifth wheel to show what I'm talking about. It was a cheap Fleetwood that withstood 10 years of that kind of use (the boat behind it was 21 feet with a 650 lb tongue weight), and we spent 344 nights in it total. Never spent a day under a roof during all that time. We keep our current one in covered storage though, because it has skylights that I suspect would suffer in the sunlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camperboat3.jpg (228.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20180526_090509.jpg (749.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 01-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Check out Premium Economy class. Not all airlines offer it, and for those that do, it's not on every route, but most offer it for flights to Europe. Prices generally run twice the cost of a coach ticket, but usually include at least one checked bag. The seats are a touch wider, and have much more legroom. Other areas of service like food, drinks, and priority boarding vary by airline. You can use SeatGuru.com to see the seating layouts for your planes and read the comments from other flyers.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! Looks like RV's are a lot of w*rk!

Just before FIRE, I dreamed of buying a trailer and pickup truck to travel the US. Well, DW, aka, The Boss, put an end to that!

I think RV'er are like landlords, born and not made. Over the years, I've come to accept that I don't have the constitution to deal with tenants and stuff that breaks (houses, RV's, boats, anything complex and expensive). Funny thing is that I've got a tech background and can be quite handy around anything mechanical. After I FIRE'd, I "discovered" that, well, I'm just lazy. I just rather float around on the local lake or sit around drinking a tasty beverage.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
This is a common thing on all foras I've read. I recently bought a Tesla car. If I just read the Tesla Forum I'd never buy one. People are having all kinds of problems with theirs.

But this is perception. People having no problems with their Tesla cars won't write about it. I sure don't. So you never hear about us.

Yep, witness the Honda "Making Oil" reliability thread from a few weeks ago. Hard to tell what percent of owners experienced the problem, but those who had were certainly PO'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
Check out Premium Economy class. Not all airlines offer it, and for those that do, it's not on every route, but most offer it for flights to Europe. Prices generally run twice the cost of a coach ticket, but usually include at least one checked bag. The seats are a touch wider, and have much more legroom. Other areas of service like food, drinks, and priority boarding vary by airline. You can use SeatGuru.com to see the seating layouts for your planes and read the comments from other flyers.

Just a few years ago these were free (on status or miles) or cheap upgrades, even overseas. When my former w*rkplace started offshoring our jobs out to the Pacific rim, only C-suite was allowed business class. Normal folks like me managed to fly premium economy most of the time. Other than legroom, on big advantage was that there was a much better chance of having an empty adjacent seat or even have the entire row to yourself. Several years after the 2001 recession and 9/11, the Pacific flights were relatively open in premium economy. I remember lying down across 5 seats in the center of the old 747's.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Wow! Looks like RV's are a lot of w*rk!
+1

RVs are expensive to buy, maintain, store, and insure. They depreciate, break, leak, and disappoint. I urge everyone who has even the slightest interest in one to find another way to spend money and waste time. There are already far too many RV's competing with mine for a parking spot at my favorite campsite.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My UHaul camper is 10 feet plus 3 feet of tongue. Sometimes I camp in a tent site when all others are taken.
I think you win the prize for smallest self-contained travel trailer!
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

DH & I had a travel trailer for a couple years, parked it on our son's property and often used it as a private 'mother-in-law'. It was metal skinned and it leaked. Fixed it and sold it.

Son repairs boats, many of them are fiberglass. Were we to buy one again I would absolutely choose a used fiberglass skinned unit. The skin can be repaired by a boatyard and much of the hardware (toilets, sinks, fans) is the same as used in small yachts.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

RVs are expensive to buy, maintain, store, and insure. They depreciate, break, leak, and disappoint. I urge everyone who has even the slightest interest in one to find another way to spend money and waste time. There are already far too many RV's competing with mine for a parking spot at my favorite campsite.
Yea, every year they build a zillion new RVs for every new campsite created. It is getting to the point where you need reservations, even in the middle of the week, even in the shoulder season. I'm grateful for the people that let their RVs rot in a field - at least they are taking a few off the road.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 PM   #34

The RV industry is gearing up for the Baby Boomers. Since they're retiring, they're looking for recreation.
We find taking our grandchildren to the campground is a very healthy thing to do. Even though it was raining all of last week, they still wanted to go. The 7 year old DGD loves working huge puzzles with the older ladies. The 10 year old DGS enjoyed shooting pool with the guys last weekend. I was thankful our Wifi signal was weak for the week.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out this guy which many of you probably already know: http://www.davesrvs.com/
Dave owns and rents high quality RVs in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He has a fleet of well maintained RVs and sells them used as they reach his sell schedule /. We rented from him and the RV was well maintained, reliable and thoroughly enjoyable.
Highly recommend!
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #36

There is also a set of RV'ers that keep our trailers out at the Hunt Club. Sometimes we pull out and go places with it, but mostly it stays at home out at the Club. Good friends, lots of land to roam and do as you want. For me, that is Living.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camper(1).JPG (273.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg hunting(8).JPG (255.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #37

We don’t use ours a lot but don’t have to pay for storage. We bought it used. We have used it more as a guest bedroom.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Well no shortage of opinions here.... so I'll add mine.

Did a 9500 trip in a $4500 26 foot class A motorhome in 2006. 6 weeks. Had the rig for almost a year before we took that trip. It was an '87 model Fleetwood IIRC. Spent MONTH before rebuilding the overhead customizing EVERYTHING. But that is me, I have a full shop, antique cars and not much mechanical scares me. But the point: Not a shred of issues of any kind on that trip.

Have had a 21 trailer for the last 3 years (FIRE'd 2 years ago this month). Bought it when it was about 4 years old for a bit over $10k. Had to FIX nothing, and haven't since about $15k miles pulling it and camping maybe 6-9 times a year with at least one long trip each summer (2-3 weeks). Did some modifications however. It is an Amerilite. Yes, VERY cheaply made, stapled together most places. Point (and opinion): If you think you want to try a trailer, find something fairly new, and dry (means no roof leaks) and minimize your investment. If you like it a lot, then consider upgrading.

No surprise, these things to NOT hold value well at all. Bad investment, but also means if you are patient, you can get a used one for a really good deal.

Also, HUGE amounts of options, floorplans, features, weights (very important, especially in light of what you will tow it with), interiors, technology etc. Do your research and homework.

And probably don't need to say this, but at the forums, you will get hundreds of differing opinions on everything. There are so many variables in equipment AND camping sites/styles that there is no one "right" way. Personally, we will trade pools, hookups, camp store for quiet, gorgeous state and national parks, lakes, streams and hiking trails any day of the week.

As I tell anyone who mentions RV'ing, if you even think you would like it, give it a try. Might not be for you, but personally I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do now....
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

A youtube vlogger named Steve Lehto has a few videos on this issue. Rather than attempt to summarize his sentiments, you'd be better off just searching for his videos on this point. His videos should be easy to find by searching using his name and the term "RV".
One such video is simply titled "Don't buy an RV". He is an attorney in Michigan and appears to know what he's talking about.
Voyager39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Great post, thanks. Between this and the YouTube videos described above I'm not sure what to do! Seem's like I could stay in a lot of nice hotel room's for the price and maintenance of a $30,000+ RV.

Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote