Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hitting things while parking can't really be blamed on the RV. I tried that and DW shot me down.
Clearly hitting things while parking are to be blamed on DW. I thought that was a law.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

RV Storage
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

RV Storage

We stored our RV at the local county fairgrounds. Inside. Reasonably priced and good security.

Caskem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbaxx View Post
DW and I had never RV'd, but after she followed me into ER (we were then 54 and 52) we bought a new Roadtrek Class B.

DW and I have discussed RVing to parks. We like to tent camp but like the option of having something more "solid". It looks fun, but we do not think we have what it takes to own an RV. However, the class Bs look like something either of us could drive, so we may look at renting a couple of times this year to see what they are like.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
DW and I have discussed RVing to parks. We like to tent camp but like the option of having something more "solid". It looks fun, but we do not think we have what it takes to own an RV. However, the class Bs look like something either of us could drive, so we may look at renting a couple of times this year to see what they are like.

There is a lot of advantage to having a real bed to sleep in, and to being able to escape the bad weather inside vs a tent. Just beware a class B is pretty small inside, whereas a little larger class C is much bigger and not that much harder to drive.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskem View Post
We stored our RV at the local county fairgrounds. Inside. Reasonably priced and good security.

I wish I had that option! Where I live most RV storage lots are either full with a long waiting list to get in (plus $100.+ a month) or are simply unprotected dirt lot's with junky old RV's parked haphazardly. The thought of buying a nice new RV and parking it in a place I'm not comfortable with is part of the problem.

If I was lucky enough to have RV parking at my house I'd be more then willing to deal with maintenance issues of an RV. The two together is what I'm having problems with.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
The thought of buying a nice new RV and parking it in a place I'm not comfortable with is part of the problem...………………. ….. deal with maintenance issues of an RV.
Lots of folks are avoiding commenting on the subject directly, so I'll go right to the point. It just doesn't sound like RV'ing/camping would be a good path for you to chose Drake3287.

Similar to getting involved in boating, flying, performance cars or other involved hobbies, buying an RV involves assuming some expense, taking on some maintenance chores and going through a learning curve. It's really not for everyone. Your location and its storage difficulties just amplifies the problem.

Your posts haven't mentioned much about what is calling you to give RV'ing/camping/outdoor activities a try. Unless you can think of some "pros" to balance the ledger with, why not just take a pass on RV'ing and wade into some alternative activity?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Unless you can think of some "pros" to balance the ledger with, why not just take a pass on RV'ing and wade into some alternative activity?
+1

I understand all the necessary equipment is furnished, including maintenance, if you'd like to take up skydiving.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I understand all the necessary equipment is furnished, including maintenance, if you'd like to take up skydiving.
But the sudden stops are different
Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

We were about to buy a new 25 foot Airstream. Already had a tow vehicle. Had never camped before. Decided to drive to Columbus, Ohio to rent an Airstream first. We rented for a week and drove it over 1000 miles stopping in three campgrounds. We loved it. We even went to the Airstream factory in Ohio to watch them being made. We liked the campground locations, the ability to sleep "in your own" bed, friendliness of fellow campers and not having to pack and unpack each time you moved from place to place.

Then we got to the issues of ownership - maintenance, storage, other travel (we like to go to Europe twice per year)...and decided the rental route was the best option for us. At best we would use it three weeks per year and despite our love of Airstreams common sense finally won out. We concluded that this would be another toy that spent too much time in the toy box.
phil1ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Lots of folks are avoiding commenting on the subject directly, so I'll go right to the point. It just doesn't sound like RV'ing/camping would be a good path for you to chose Drake3287.
A lot of state parks rent cabins or yurts now. It is a way to be in the park but not have to deal with a tent or RV.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #71

As a result of our plan to purchase a travel trailer (already own a tow vehicle), we are now looking for a new home since our current (fully renovated in 2013) home does not have enough room to build the mac-daddy garage to house the RV. Only problem is DH does not want a used model, but I'll forgive him since I'm thrilled we're getting a RV! Like others have said, it's a personal choice! Sorry to the RV owners on this board - another reservation taker is coming in soon!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Definitely an eye opener after following a few different RV Facebook groups and talking with friends. I owned a tent trailer for years but of course that's a whole different trailer.

In my case I'd have to rent a place to store it for $100. a month around here. Add 10 years of that plus nearly $35,000. out the door for a nice trailer plus gear and I'm looking at $50,000. for 10 years of use. That same $50,000. will buy 25 nights a year at a nice hotel for 10 years.

Of course there's also big RV Show this weekend, wish me luck!
I use my motorhome to visit places where there are no hotels. I would not use it to go to NYC, Boston, Chicago, or San Francisco for example. Generally, RV'ing makes more sense out here in the open West, or to go to Nova Scotia, the Yukon, and Alaska. I have RV'ed to these places, but still want to come back.

I currently have a class C, but always think I will downshift to a class B when I get older. The new breed of class B's based on larger chassis with dually rear wheels appeals to me. They are costly, but when I get to the point where I either spend the money or stay home, I think I will "blow some dough". If my wife does not like it she can stay home (but I seriously doubt that she would ).
Old 03-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

I am so glad that you RV'ers are having fun traveling in your RV's!! And if you can afford it, then so what about the cost. After all, that is what you worked for so long for all those years; to be able to Blow That Dough on something that will make your retirement years the best they can possibly be. Have a ball!

I'm just glad that I don't have to do it, since I am not suited for RV life and think it sounds awful. But as far as I know, nobody has put a gun to anybody's head and told them they HAVE to buy an RV and travel in it. I am so happy right here in my Dream Home, where everything is exactly as I want it to be and right next door to my very best friend ever; I am enjoying my little version of heaven on earth so much. Below is my back yard and a corner of my detached garage, as seen from my easy chair in my Dream Home (OK, photo taken three years ago but it hasn't changed). So idyllic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back lawn 03_21_2016.jpg (82.9 KB, 63 views)
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #74

So many people buy new and don’t like it and sell so you can get used ones that are really nice and cheaper. I enjoy it for short periods of time but a month is my limit. We also found last summer it was much cheaper to take the car and stay in motels than to use the RV. We had 3 dogs and one was 80lbs so I booked the whole month in advance so I knew we had somewhere to stay. Many Airbnb and hotel chains are now dog friendly.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #75

We're very fortunate to have a lake house across town from us to spend most Summer weekends at--and to have the fabulous Tennessee River and two lakes in the middle of our city. But we also keep a fifth wheel trailer with 4 slides sitting in the Blue Ridge Mountains an hour from the edge of Atlanta. We use it a couple of weeks in Summer and weekends in Spring and Fall.

Our RV is our mountain residence, as we have the Appalachian Trail on the 4500' mountain across the street. We're in a member owned campground with incredible facilities including 2 pools, tennis courts and a common house that's 50' x 125' with 40' ceilings. North Georgia is incredibly beautiful--like the Smokey Mountain National Park without all the tourists.

Total cost for the campground is $450 yearly dues plus $325 a year storage in locked, guarded lots. And it's $1 a day "rent." So our keeping the RV there is not a big financial drain. We love camping because our grandkids have the run our campground with complete freedom, and they always find friends to hang out with. We don't mind having electricity, hookups, WIFI and cable television either--roughing it.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #76

BM, what a great deal you have. I would park ours there too. Here it costs a fortune.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Here's one of the bigger new class-B's I talked about. It is really larger than the photo conveys. The length is more than 24 ft, and interior height is perhaps 6-1/2'. The new price is more than $100K.

Winnebago even has an ERA model with a floorplan that sports a dry bath, a rarity in the class-B size.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

There are also some class-B motorhomes also based on the same Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis (with rear dually wheels), but with a fancy lithium battery system and a large inverter to run the heat pump. Price is more than $150K.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

We're 5'10" & 6'2". Most class Bs don't have enough interior height. Bathrooms in any class rv often don't have enough elbow room. Beds are mostly too short. I don't like the look class Cs with the over the cab sleeping space. We don't already own a tow vehicle. I don't want to travel in a pick up. I don't want anything soft sided. Any vehicle I park here gets critter damage to wiring if it's not driven every few days. I don't think I have the patience to drive long highway distances under 70mph. I don't have indoor storage. I don't see us traveling for months at a time. Inexpensive class As we've looked at are fret with water damage, delamination, old carbureted engines loaded with cumbersome emission controls and smell bad. I don't have the extra income to make payments, and I won't put a large chunk of our nest egg into a money pit. I don't want to rent and be responsible for someones $80000 vehicle, it would be my first time driving one, and the cost of renting too far exceeds the cost of car/motel. Also wife has little enthusiasm for the RV idea. But, in my fantacies, there some aspects of RV travel that sound attractive.
There's a ad for 2001 25ft class a 36k miles, for $14500, that looks good, but I can't talk myself into making the call.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There are also some class-B motorhomes also based on the same Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis (with rear dually wheels), but with a fancy lithium battery system and a large inverter to run the heat pump. Price is more than $150K.
One of my neighbors has one of these MB's (Winnebago) and it is beautiful. (But expensive).