Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hitting things while parking can't really be blamed on the RV. I tried that and DW shot me down.
Clearly hitting things while parking are to be blamed on DW. I thought that was a law.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

RV Storage
Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

RV Storage

We stored our RV at the local county fairgrounds. Inside. Reasonably priced and good security.

Caskem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbaxx View Post
DW and I had never RV'd, but after she followed me into ER (we were then 54 and 52) we bought a new Roadtrek Class B.

DW and I have discussed RVing to parks. We like to tent camp but like the option of having something more "solid". It looks fun, but we do not think we have what it takes to own an RV. However, the class Bs look like something either of us could drive, so we may look at renting a couple of times this year to see what they are like.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
DW and I have discussed RVing to parks. We like to tent camp but like the option of having something more "solid". It looks fun, but we do not think we have what it takes to own an RV. However, the class Bs look like something either of us could drive, so we may look at renting a couple of times this year to see what they are like.

There is a lot of advantage to having a real bed to sleep in, and to being able to escape the bad weather inside vs a tent. Just beware a class B is pretty small inside, whereas a little larger class C is much bigger and not that much harder to drive.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskem View Post
We stored our RV at the local county fairgrounds. Inside. Reasonably priced and good security.

I wish I had that option! Where I live most RV storage lots are either full with a long waiting list to get in (plus $100.+ a month) or are simply unprotected dirt lot's with junky old RV's parked haphazardly. The thought of buying a nice new RV and parking it in a place I'm not comfortable with is part of the problem.

If I was lucky enough to have RV parking at my house I'd be more then willing to deal with maintenance issues of an RV. The two together is what I'm having problems with.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
The thought of buying a nice new RV and parking it in a place I'm not comfortable with is part of the problem...………………. ….. deal with maintenance issues of an RV.
Lots of folks are avoiding commenting on the subject directly, so I'll go right to the point. It just doesn't sound like RV'ing/camping would be a good path for you to chose Drake3287.

Similar to getting involved in boating, flying, performance cars or other involved hobbies, buying an RV involves assuming some expense, taking on some maintenance chores and going through a learning curve. It's really not for everyone. Your location and its storage difficulties just amplifies the problem.

Your posts haven't mentioned much about what is calling you to give RV'ing/camping/outdoor activities a try. Unless you can think of some "pros" to balance the ledger with, why not just take a pass on RV'ing and wade into some alternative activity?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Unless you can think of some "pros" to balance the ledger with, why not just take a pass on RV'ing and wade into some alternative activity?
+1

I understand all the necessary equipment is furnished, including maintenance, if you'd like to take up skydiving.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I understand all the necessary equipment is furnished, including maintenance, if you'd like to take up skydiving.
But the sudden stops are different
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

We were about to buy a new 25 foot Airstream. Already had a tow vehicle. Had never camped before. Decided to drive to Columbus, Ohio to rent an Airstream first. We rented for a week and drove it over 1000 miles stopping in three campgrounds. We loved it. We even went to the Airstream factory in Ohio to watch them being made. We liked the campground locations, the ability to sleep "in your own" bed, friendliness of fellow campers and not having to pack and unpack each time you moved from place to place.

Then we got to the issues of ownership - maintenance, storage, other travel (we like to go to Europe twice per year)...and decided the rental route was the best option for us. At best we would use it three weeks per year and despite our love of Airstreams common sense finally won out. We concluded that this would be another toy that spent too much time in the toy box.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Lots of folks are avoiding commenting on the subject directly, so I'll go right to the point. It just doesn't sound like RV'ing/camping would be a good path for you to chose Drake3287.
A lot of state parks rent cabins or yurts now. It is a way to be in the park but not have to deal with a tent or RV.