Sad, but not interested in old friends.

Friends After retirmen

We were in the Foreign Service and served at many embassies overseas for standard tours of two years but sometimes up to four years. We made many friends at our embassy but also at other embassies, We made friends with a lovely couple at another embassy and when they were about to transfer , we said we’d stay in touch and try hard to meet them. The wife said they never try to keep friendships when they left a posting. We were shocked. We liked them so much. She explained that part of the friendship was formed by the country we were in and the friends in common at that time. Once that ended, the glue of the friendship weakened . She was so right.

We find that we no longer have the same things in common with our good friends from the past . Our interests in retirement are different than before .We still think of our friends dearly but we don’t try to stoke the embers of old friendship.

I retired 10 years ago, and the only person I occasionally keep in touch with is my old boss.

Been retired 20 years and only spent time with one co-worker because the others were acquaintances, not friends. Commuters working together in some location aren't likely to see much of each other outside of work unless they live relatively close together. I worked in downtown Atlanta for a number of years so you know there were people from 30+ miles away working there - not all that likely to spend time with them unless the families click (had a couple of those - one family helped reroof the house we were in).

My earlier reply should have also included - when I did get together with work friends shortly after I retired, most of them just wanted to complain about work, “suits” and co-workers they didn’t like. I didn’t like to dwell on it but it seemed natural to commiserate some when I was a co-worker, but that’s the last thing I want run around my head as a retiree. I had a low tolerance for co-workers who constantly complained about work while I was working, and almost zero tolerance once retired. No thanks!

Last edited:
My earlier reply should have also included - when I did get together with work friends shortly after I retired, most of them just wanted to complain about work, “suits” and co-workers they didn’t like. I didn’t like to dwell on it but it seemed natural to commiserate some when I was a co-worker, but that’s the last thing I want run around my head as a retiree. I had a low tolerance for co-workers who constantly complained about work while I was working, and almost zero tolerance once retired. No thanks!

Exactly how I felt about it also.

I am similar but I I had 2 careers military (reserves) 27 yrs and civilian,
My mil friends are life long and imho deeper and more supportive of all my faults.
My last job was in the same office for 8 of 10 years.
I also lived with one of the other department heads for 9.5 years before I retired and she is still there.
So many of our friends were her friends before I was there and a few are good friends.

Back
Top Bottom