Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #21
Here's a recent news article about cycling safety in SC. Yeah, we are not so awesome.

Study: South Carolina near top among states in bike, pedestrian fatalities, but near bottom in spending – The Post and Courier

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Back in NYC some 9 years ago, I normally rode at a fast clip so I rarely used the bike lanes as they were often cluttered with double parked cars and peds waiting for the light to turn. I normally rode in traffic. I am not as concerned with bicycle friendly cities with bike lanes as I am concerned with the attitude of motorists. I have found if I ride in the city at a fast pace, the cars usually gave me a wide enough berth since they are not used to a fast moving cyclist. I never assume anything when it comes to cycling on city roads even eyeballing parked cars and open doors. I am looking for some conformation that 99% of the motorists in southern states are decent folks and are not looking to intentional hurt a cyclist. Of course, I know I can't control the unexpected actions of drivers (in any city) who maybe is tired, preoccupied, angry, drunk, or just plain stupid.
I have been lucky so far. Knock on wood.

I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #23
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately neighborhoods and most bike paths don't support 25mph intervals. The long bike path that runs by my house is usually also populated by runners, dog-walkers, siteseers, bird watchers, little kids on training wheels, in-line skaters, and ridiculously slow beach cruiser riders. I usually elect to ride on the (very wide) shoulder where I live, particularly on weekends, because the chance of an incident on the 8-foot shoulder is less than on the 3-foot bike path populated with all those obstacles.

It's not always a simple choice.
Very similar here. We usually cycle weekends and stick to the roads, which mostly have shoulders, but where you have wide shoulders you have motorists that want to drive on them, so many junctions have curbs built out to stop motorists using the shoulder to undertake traffic when turning right. This means that we can be riding at 15mph with traffic going by at 50mph on a nice wide shoulder but have to move into the road to avoid the curbs at junctions. Also the shoulders are not extensions of the concrete pavement but additions, meaning you have a join between shoulder and concrete that often develops into a gap and I know 2 people at our gym who have come off their bikes when their wheels have caught in the gap and broken their collar bones. No cars involved in either case, just moving out at a road junction to avoid the curb. A concrete post in the middle of the shoulder at the junction would thwart motorists and be more bike friendly, but overall the town is pretty well served for bikers, and with lots of bikes on the roads then motorists become accustomed to seeing them.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote