Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not seen anything recently, but not too long ago, there were reports of some banks turning over safe deposit box contents to State if they had not been visited in last couple(?) years. Some states are really assertive in seizing so called 'abandoned property" so we make it a point to check our box not less than once a year whether we need or not. YMMV
Nwsteve

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #22

I got a letter from my bank that they were about to turn over the contents of my box to the state. Also, they wanted a big fee because they said I had not responded to previous notices, so they had drilled the box and sent the contents to a "safe location" out of state.

My address has not changed in 20 years, but the box was supposed to be free with an account and when the bank merged with another bank apparently this was lost or mixed up. I never got any notices except this one. When the bank looked at their records (after I showed up in person in problem solving mode) they discovered that the notices went elsewhere and not to me, so they rescinded the fees, but the box was already drilled and the stuff was already sent away. It took two weeks to locate and eventually they returned it to me, just under the deadline to send it to the state.

Safe deposit boxes are not as safe as I had assumed. Also I got a new notice today that they no longer allow currency in the boxes (I didn't have any) but I wonder if I had how likely it would have come back to me after such a trip to some "safe location" in a cardboard box elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I got a letter from my bank that they were about to turn over the contents of my box to the state. Also, they wanted a big fee because they said I had not responded to previous notices, so they had drilled the box and sent the contents to a "safe location" out of state.

My address has not changed in 20 years, but the box was supposed to be free with an account and when the bank merged with another bank apparently this was lost or mixed up. I never got any notices except this one. When the bank looked at their records (after I showed up in person in problem solving mode) they discovered that the notices went elsewhere and not to me, so they rescinded the fees, but the box was already drilled and the stuff was already sent away. It took two weeks to locate and eventually they returned it to me, just under the deadline to send it to the state.

Safe deposit boxes are not as safe as I had assumed. Also I got a new notice today that they no longer allow currency in the boxes (I didn't have any) but I wonder if I had how likely it would have come back to me after such a trip to some "safe location" in a cardboard box elsewhere.
The coffee can in the back yard market just grew. (perhaps in the dog yard with a large doberman with a what big teeth you have grandma smile.)
Or one could follow ex Congressman Jefferson and keep some really cold cash in the freezer.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The coffee can in the back yard market just grew. (perhaps in the dog yard with a large doberman with a what big teeth you have grandma smile.)
Or one could follow ex Congressman Jefferson and keep some really cold cash in the freezer.
To this day, Dad can tell you exactly how much in hundred dollar bills will fit in a coffee can or a shoebox.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #25

Does coffee still come in cans? I thought the government forced coffee companies to switch to bags and cheap biodegradable plastic containers to prevent individuals from hoarding cash and precious metals.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Does coffee still come in cans? I thought the government forced coffee companies to switch to bags and cheap biodegradable plastic containers to prevent individuals from hoarding cash and precious metals.
No idea. I buy my coffee green in 5 pound plastic bags and roast it myself. Could not tell you the last time I bought coffee in a can.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Due to shrinkflation, coffee cans have shrunk, as well. I was buying BJs brand decaffeinated hazelnut in 36-oz cans, and noticed that the can didn't seem to last as long as it used to. Well, duh...it was now a 28-oz can, cleverly redesigned to retain the exact proportions of the larger can.

But there's an easy solution. Just turn in the $100 bills in the coffee can, for $1000 bills

Amethyst
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #28

About Safety Deposit Boxes... and coffee cans...
Just a suggestion... Do a Google search for:
bank safety deposit box cash

and see what that brings up...

Might also look for "Chase" in the results.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Three pound can of coffee at Costco runs about $10.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #30

My safe deposit box has a coin collection in it. I hope that doesn't count as currency.